Author Topic: I Should've Built An Arc  (Read 3981 times)

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #15 on: September 15, 2013, 03:15:46 pm
Dude,  my late Aunt must have been looking after me yesterday.  I took The Blackhawk  to Black Hawk yesterday to visit with one of our new members Dan Kearney.  I left town here at about 3:30pm fair skies, definitely some clouds, but no rain.  I made my way into the mountains, blueish skies to the north, grayish skies to the south, a few very light sprinkles here and there, but no rain.  I met up with Dan by his house and we went to this nice little bar down the road a ways.  Inside having an IPA and a lady comes over to me to tell me my bike fell over.  Doh!    :o  Nothing major, no body damage, but I scraped up the taillight housing and broke my mirror clamp.  So after a couple beers we go back to Dan's to compare our bikes and try to salvage my broken mirror with some electrical tape.  Start heading back home, the road I came in on?  Now closed.  So I had to detour on 6 over to I-70 in Idaho Springs, NOT the route I wanted to take my bike on.  I mean I did do a small stretch of I-70 there, maybe 20 miles putting along at 55mph.  But now I'm forced to ride about 60 miles down the Interstate as the sun is going down with black skies.   :(  I stop at the first truck stop coming into the cities to call the wife, battery is DONE!  Nothing at all, well 0.18V to be exact.  Call the wife and she is hysterical because all over Denver there are flash flood warnings again and she was convinced I was dead because I hadn't checked in yet (as it never occurred to me because I didn't even know it was raining!).  Somehow the Sparx put off enough juice for me to be able to kickstart and I made it home.  167 miles, 4 hours, surrounded by torrential rains/floods, and never once got rained on.  Couldn't do that again if I tried.  ;D

Scottie
2001 Harley Davidson Road King

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #16 on: September 16, 2013, 04:12:28 am
I don't know how I missed seeing it before, but the term for the big boat is "ark", not "arc".
 :P
Home of the Fireball 535 !

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #17 on: September 16, 2013, 01:10:42 pm
LOL  You're right!  I didn't notice that either!   ::)

Scottie

D the D

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #18 on: September 16, 2013, 03:03:58 pm
Funny what our brains do!  How many of us read this ongoing saga and never noticed?  ;D
'07 Iron Barrel Military (Deceased 14 September, 2013)
2014 Yamaha Bolt R Spec V-Twin
1975 XLCH

GreenMachine

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #19 on: September 16, 2013, 10:59:16 pm
It's from all that water on the brain... ;D
Oh Magoo you done it again

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #20 on: September 17, 2013, 03:19:43 am
FINALLY!  A DAY OF FREAKING SUNSHINE!

It was officially 7 days of pure rain with no sunshine.  It's about time the damn rain stopped.

Scottie

DanKearney

• Grease Monkey
Reply #21 on: September 17, 2013, 04:36:40 am
FINALLY!  A DAY OF FREAKING SUNSHINE!

It was officially 7 days of pure rain with no sunshine.  It's about time the damn rain stopped.

Scottie

I still managed to get rained on while on the way home this afternoon.  It sure was nice to see that sun again though.  Glad you made it home OK on Sunday.  Next time you're forced up that route, there is a good side road to I70 that takes you all the way back in to Morrison with only one short stint on the super slab.  And if you're not in a rush, and good side trip over to Buffalo Bill's grave and lookout mountain above Golden.  We'll get together and ride it sometime.

Cheers,

Dan K.

Cheers,

Dan K.

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #22 on: September 17, 2013, 01:40:18 pm
Dur!  I didn't even think of crossing back over on Look Out Mtn Rd!  I think with everything that was happening I was just trying to get home as fast as possible, that and it was getting dark.  I've seen some monster elk on that road after dark, so I try not to take the bike up there at night.  Almost hit 3 deer last time I was up there at dusk.  And I seriuoslu JUST found out that the I-70 service road travels from Morrison all the way to Georgetown.  I might take that route next time I go to Idaho Springs.

Scottie