Author Topic: Fork oil level measurement please.  (Read 11629 times)

boggy

• Grand Gearhead
  • Karma Ultra: 7
Reply #15 on: September 19, 2013, 06:31:12 pm
After a complete flush of the forks, filled in 200ml of fork oil.
Tire pressure at 26 and i got a real bumpy front.

This exact same thing has happened to me - I haven't tried the few suggestions that I received.  I'm hoping in this case it's just an out-of-round tire that needs to be filled up to stretch back out into shape but I was wondering if it was too little oil at 200ml as well.  Shocks also dive with ATF-F in them.  I feel that say, 10-15w fork oil would also dive so again I wonder if 200ml is too little.
2007 AVL
2006 DRZ400SM

singhg5

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #16 on: September 22, 2013, 04:13:03 am
After adding 190 ml fork oil in my OFF The Center Stand G5, the oil level was 14" below the filler hole.

The tip of the rod travelled 21 inches below the filler hole, before it touched the top of stud on which the spring rests.

The oil level was 7" above the base of spring.

When the bike was put on center stand, the compression on the spring was released and the fork elongated, the oil level changed by 1".
« Last Edit: September 22, 2013, 05:00:01 am by singhg5 »
1970's Jawa /  Yezdi
2006 Honda Nighthawk
2009 Royal Enfield Black G5

D the D

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #17 on: September 22, 2013, 05:13:10 am
Why is everyone ignoring the manual?  I missed something.
'07 Iron Barrel Military (Deceased 14 September, 2013)
2014 Yamaha Bolt R Spec V-Twin
1975 XLCH

Machismo

• Scooter
Reply #18 on: September 22, 2013, 01:17:33 pm
After adding 190 ml fork oil in my OFF The Center Stand G5, the oil level was 14" below the filler hole.

The tip of the rod travelled 21 inches below the filler hole, before it touched the top of stud on which the spring rests.

When the bike was put on center stand, the compression on the spring was released and the fork elongated, the oil level changed by 1".
So Paaji, is your fork action smooth?
I could understand that 190ml occupies about 8" in the fork tube but then what is the right amount?

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
  • Everybody's havin' them dreams
Reply #19 on: September 22, 2013, 02:11:09 pm

It's a UCE. I thought the correct amount for a UCE was MORE than 200 ml. No? Why are you telling us about an incorrect amount of fork oil for a UCE on an AVL forum?

Who cares about all these measurements when you're using an incorrect amount of oil?

Or is it me who's wrong? Again?
« Last Edit: September 22, 2013, 02:15:03 pm by tooseevee »
RI USA '08 Black AVL Classic.9.8:1 ACEhead/manifold/canister. TM32/Open bottle/hot tube removed. Pertronix Coil. Fed mandates removed. Gr.TCI. Bobber seat. Battery in right side case. Decomp&all doodads removed. '30s Lucas taillight/7" visored headlight. Much blackout & wire/electrical upgrades.

singhg5

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #20 on: September 22, 2013, 02:19:17 pm
So Paaji, is your fork action smooth?
I could understand that 190ml occupies about 8" in the fork tube but then what is the right amount?

Fork is smooth. What weight fork oil did you use ?

I have tried 5W, 7.5W and 10W fork oils. 5W is too thin and front dives too much. 10W is heavier and pretty good for most riders. Some people prefer even stiffer fork and use 15W or 20W fork oils. Heavier/stiffer oil is preferred for riding on smooth twisty roads. Lighter oil is better for bumpy straight roads. Too light not good, too heavy not good.

Same goes for volume. Some have tried 200 ml and others more 230 ml or 250 ml. As long as oil level reaches minimum level to do its job it is good enough to go. Too much oil will tend to spill out. Somewhere between min and max will be fine. Too little will not do a good job and too much will cause leaks.

You decide what is right for you, your riding conditions, style, weight..... ;)

Using 190ml, the oil level reaches 16" from the bottom tip of fork (about 9"+7" in picture) .

PS - High tire pressure will give bumpy ride.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2013, 03:15:43 pm by singhg5 »
1970's Jawa /  Yezdi
2006 Honda Nighthawk

singhg5

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #21 on: September 22, 2013, 02:28:43 pm
              It's a UCE. I thought the correct amount for a UCE was MORE than 200 ml. No? Why are you telling us about an incorrect amount of fork oil for a UCE on an AVL forum?

Who cares about all these measurements when you're using an incorrect amount of oil?

Or is it me who's wrong? Again?

AVL and G5 are almost same frames for all practical purposes. 

Wrong or right or whether 200 ml is correct or absolutely incorrect is in your head since many factors affect ride quality - read my post before this.

I am writing what I have tried, what works for me and has worked for many other riders on this Forum and outside this Forum.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2013, 03:13:09 pm by singhg5 »
1970's Jawa /  Yezdi
2006 Honda Nighthawk

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #22 on: September 22, 2013, 03:27:00 pm
AVL and G5 are almost same frames for all practical purposes. 

Wrong or right or whether 200 ml is correct or absolutely incorrect is in your head since many factors affect ride quality - read my post before this.

I am writing what I have tried, what works for me and has worked for many other riders on this Forum and outside this Forum.

I did read it & I guess my real question comes down to why are we still beating this dead horse?

I remember saying long ago in this thread that I thought the "number" was just to make sure there was "enough" oil in the forks.

I think we're both saying more or less the same thing.

Another question: If the forks are "more or less" the same, why the wide disparity in amount recommended by UCE vs AVL owner's manuals? (Not to say I put much faith in the owner's manuals. I bought one from CMW when I first got my AVL. Total waste of money).
RI USA '08 Black AVL Classic.9.8:1 ACEhead/manifold/canister. TM32/Open bottle/hot tube removed. Pertronix Coil. Fed mandates removed. Gr.TCI. Bobber seat. Battery in right side case. Decomp&all doodads removed. '30s Lucas taillight/7" visored headlight. Much blackout & wire/electrical upgrades.

singhg5

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #23 on: September 23, 2013, 06:47:38 pm
                      I remember saying long ago in this thread that I thought the "number" was just to make sure there was "enough" oil in the forks.

I think we're both saying more or less the same thing.

Another question: If the forks are "more or less" the same, why the wide disparity in amount recommended by UCE vs AVL owner's manuals? (Not to say I put much faith in the owner's manuals. I bought one from CMW when I first got my AVL. Total waste of money).

The problem was that factory fork oil volumes did not match with what is printed in Manual. Even though manual has 265 ml but when the factory-installed forks were drained out, there was always less oil coming out of forks - way less, something like 160 to 180 ml or 200 ml. Moreover one fork had more oil and one fork less oil in many motorcycles. Some had reported leaks with large volumes.

All this lead to search for a fork oil volume that was enough, that works but does not leak.

That is why you see volumes ranging from 200 to 265 ml.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2013, 06:50:01 pm by singhg5 »
1970's Jawa /  Yezdi
2006 Honda Nighthawk

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #24 on: September 23, 2013, 09:18:09 pm
.... but when the factory-installed forks were drained out, there was always less oil coming out of forks - way less, something like 160 to 180 ml or 200 ml. Moreover one fork had more oil and one fork less oil in many motorcycles. Some had reported leaks with large volumes.
That is why you see volumes ranging from 200 to 265 ml.

Yes. My very own bike's forks, that as far as I knew were oiled right from the factory, had way less than 200 & I think the left one had no more than 100 in it & no apparent sign of leaks (dirty cap or fork bottoms). At least now they at least have the same amount in each side.

GreenMachine

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #25 on: September 23, 2013, 10:01:37 pm
Its apparent that the factory doesn't preform a precise measure of fork oil (or whatever it is that they use)..It would be nice if the dealers just replaced it as part of their purchaser prep/inspection...What a PIA for the newbie that just wants to ride their new bike...
Oh Magoo you done it again