Author Topic: Fork oil level measurement please.  (Read 11630 times)

potboiler

• Scooter
on: September 13, 2013, 08:53:59 am
Does anyone have the depth of the fork oil level  from the top of the filler hole ( with the correct 200cc of oil in place). I measured mine today with a thin cane and one side is 30mm lower than the other. Thanks.

tanker

• Scooter
Reply #1 on: September 13, 2013, 01:17:33 pm
Here is a link to Thumpers maintenance notes.  Among other things, he references the fork oil level.

http://members.verizon.net/allofusmorrows/RE_maintenance.htm

There is a lot of good information there.
Brian
2006 Electra-X
1994 Goldwing

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
  • Everybody's havin' them dreams
Reply #2 on: September 13, 2013, 02:24:47 pm
Here is a link to Thumpers maintenance notes.  Among other things, he references the fork oil level.

http://members.verizon.net/allofusmorrows/RE_maintenance.htm

There is a lot of good information there.

OK, so Thumper says the dipstick method from the top should get you an oil level of 14 1/2" to 15". Does that really mean anything on the road or is it just a guideline to make sure you have ENOUGH in there?

I recently did my forks. I let them drain a lonnnng time, put 8 oz. (236ml) in each side. Some say 7 oz. (200ml) for the AVLs (Classics, Electras). Is there really any huge difference (200 vs 236)?

I have a problem with Thumper's carburetor section. He mentions the Main Jet offhandedly, but nothing about Pilot Jet or adjusting the Mixture Screw. Then he goes on about raising the needle height with nary a mention of WHY he's doing it or what it's effect is on the engine. His carb section is actually useless & confusing to a new rider who knows nothing about a Mikuni BS-29 & Thumper never even mentions that that's what kind of carburetor it is.   
RI USA '08 Black AVL Classic.9.8:1 ACEhead/manifold/canister. TM32/Open bottle/hot tube removed. Pertronix Coil. Fed mandates removed. Gr.TCI. Bobber seat. Battery in right side case. Decomp&all doodads removed. '30s Lucas taillight/7" visored headlight. Much blackout & wire/electrical upgrades.

Superchuck

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: September 13, 2013, 03:12:06 pm
I've noticed on hard stops that my forks occasionally bottom-out.  Looking to swap my fork oil as well.  Let us know what levels end up working for you, and how it feels on the road. :)

D the D

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: September 13, 2013, 03:55:08 pm
This is all spelled out if you buy a manual.
To quote the Snidal Manual:
" The capacity for replacement oil is 200 ml. Fork level may be checked by inserting a piece of wire, such as a straightened coat hanger or welding rod, down through the top. Feel for the spring retainer at the top of the valve stud (the bottom of the spring). This is the minimum oil level."

Nothing in there about the length of a stick or anything.  Just above the Spring Retainer is the Minimum Level.
Put in 200 ml and then feel for the top of the Spring Retainer - can't miss it with a rod.  If your rod is wet on the end, you're good to go.
'07 Iron Barrel Military (Deceased 14 September, 2013)
2014 Yamaha Bolt R Spec V-Twin
1975 XLCH

Superchuck

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: September 13, 2013, 06:53:04 pm
Cool sounds simple enough- many thanks!

D the D

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #6 on: September 13, 2013, 07:34:03 pm
Yep, pretty straight forward.  Even if it takes more than 200ml per fork, a quart bottle should do two bikes.  A 16 oz bottle should be enough for one.
1975 XLCH

boggy

• Grand Gearhead
  • Karma Ultra: 7
Reply #7 on: September 15, 2013, 02:56:26 pm
This is all spelled out if you buy a manual.
To quote the Snidal Manual:
" The capacity for replacement oil is 200 ml.

I'm trying to figure out where MORE than 200ml came from for AVLs.  I saw 200 in Snidal as well.
2007 AVL
2006 DRZ400SM

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #8 on: September 15, 2013, 10:56:34 pm
I'm trying to figure out where MORE than 200ml came from for AVLs.  I saw 200 in Snidal as well.

I, too, have had Pete Snidal's manual since I bought the bike in 2010 & read the same as you. But for some reason I recall a long time ago some mention of another ounce in the AVL on some thread or another. That's why when I did my forks a week ago I just split the difference. So I'm a half inch (or less) higher than 200 would make it. Can't matter. Next time I'm going to put exactly 200ml in & see what I get with a stick.

I rode today purposely to a place where there are 3 dead cops laying in the road 30 feet apart. The bike felt fine in the front end with the 15 wt hydraulic oil. I want to try 30 wt oil next time to see if I can tell the difference. Then I'll know.

I put Mazola oil in my harley last time, but everybody knows they don't handle for shit anyway no matter what you do to them, right?   :)     ;)
« Last Edit: September 16, 2013, 12:16:44 am by tooseevee »
RI USA '08 Black AVL Classic.9.8:1 ACEhead/manifold/canister. TM32/Open bottle/hot tube removed. Pertronix Coil. Fed mandates removed. Gr.TCI. Bobber seat. Battery in right side case. Decomp&all doodads removed. '30s Lucas taillight/7" visored headlight. Much blackout & wire/electrical upgrades.

boggy

• Grand Gearhead
  • Karma Ultra: 7
Reply #9 on: September 15, 2013, 11:35:22 pm
I still have 200ml of atf-f in them and they do dive quite a bit on braking and stay down there while stopped until I let off the handlebars.  I have clubman bars on so the weight is right over the forks.  I figured lighter fork oil might feel the same or even be worse so I was going to try a higher weight.  I was also wonder if was because I was "under-filled" at 200ml.
2007 AVL
2006 DRZ400SM

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #10 on: September 16, 2013, 12:50:01 am
I still have 200ml of atf-f in them and they do dive quite a bit on braking and stay down there while stopped until I let off the handlebars.  I have clubman bars on so the weight is right over the forks.  I figured lighter fork oil might feel the same or even be worse so I was going to try a higher weight.  I was also wonder if was because I was "under-filled" at 200ml.

As the King said to Anna: "'tis a puzzlement".

I'll try the 30 wt in the Spring (I love the sound of that) & see if I can tell the difference.

D the D

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #11 on: September 16, 2013, 01:41:41 am
People make up all kinds of crap and post it on the internet.  After double checking manuals, you wander if it's a joke or they're just full of themselves.
1975 XLCH

Machismo

• Scooter
Reply #12 on: September 19, 2013, 10:17:24 am
After a complete flush of the forks, filled in 200ml of fork oil.
Tire pressure at 26 and i got a real bumpy front.
Isnt 250ml a lot of oil in the fork?

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #13 on: September 19, 2013, 03:24:19 pm
After a complete flush of the forks, filled in 200ml of fork oil.
Tire pressure at 26 and i got a real bumpy front.
Isn't 250ml a lot of oil in the fork?

50 ml is 1.7 ounces. This would raise the level in the tube what? about an inch? (I'm not gonna do the math because I don't know the diameter of the tube).

Would some guys who actually know the mechanics & hydraulics of front forks please tell me what effect this has on my bike out on the road? (200 vs 250). The only thing I know for sure is that I sure as hell don't know.

What I "think" is that the "number" is to make sure there's "enough".

Let's put this thing to rest.

Machismo

• Scooter
Reply #14 on: September 19, 2013, 04:45:50 pm
                 50 ml is 1.7 ounces. This would raise the level in the tube what? about an inch? (I'm not gonna do the math because I don't know the diameter of the tube).

Would some guys who actually know the mechanics & hydraulics of front forks please tell me what effect this has on my bike out on the road? (200 vs 250). The only thing I know for sure is that I sure as hell don't know.

What I "think" is that the "number" is to make sure there's "enough".

Let's put this thing to rest.
Right sir!
I would also want add one more query to your question.
The way I do the usual flush is by undoing the drain nut at the bottom of the fork.
After that I engage the disc brake, pump the fork a few times to empty the tube as much as possible.
Will this qualify as a full flush and need 200ml(or 250 as few gentlemen said)?