Author Topic: Small Battery For Right Side Case - Kick Only  (Read 7074 times)

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
  • Everybody's havin' them dreams
on: September 12, 2013, 01:32:54 am
     Well, I didn't want to, but I have to start a new topic. I got no answer by asking on another thread (Where are you, SuperChuck?).

I need advice on what battery to get. Here's the one SuperChuck got (YT4B-BS):

https://www.google.com/search?q=ebay+yt4b-bs&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a

What I don't get are the terminals. I would like to have regular battery terminals & what I see look like big spade terminals.

And notice the price range for the same battery. Anywhere from $20 free shipping all the way to $250.

The Positive cable is long enough to reach into the right side case. I made a new ground cable today (it needs to be 1/2 again as long) so all I need is a bat tree.

The bike looks so much better (to me) now with the battery, the bracket & the cover gone & I never have to fight with those bleedin' rubber straps or that frigging lock again.

« Last Edit: September 12, 2013, 02:03:33 am by tooseevee »
RI USA '08 Black AVL Classic.9.8:1 ACEhead/manifold/canister. TM32/Open bottle/hot tube removed. Pertronix Coil. Fed mandates removed. Gr.TCI. Bobber seat. Battery in right side case. Decomp&all doodads removed. '30s Lucas taillight/7" visored headlight. Much blackout & wire/electrical upgrades.

DanB

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: September 12, 2013, 06:00:33 pm
Can't say about the terminals. I'd just do it and keep NAPA in mind to adapt on the fly.
         The bike looks so much better (to me) now with the battery, the bracket & the cover gone & I never have to fight with those bleedin' rubber straps or that frigging lock again.
. Got pics???
Suppose I were an idiot, and suppose I were a member of Congress; but I repeat myself. ... Mark Twain
2006 AVL Electra

ERC

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #2 on: September 12, 2013, 07:14:40 pm
look up the spec on a TMSYTX7L gel they're small I've got them in a couple of mine. Kick only.  ERC
2-57 Apaches, 2-57 Trailblazers, 60 Chief, 65 Interceptor, 2004 Bullet, 612 Bullet chopped.

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: September 12, 2013, 09:17:07 pm
. . Got pics???

Patience, Grasshoppah. Patience. I don't want to show pictures with the seat off.

I've been on an AutoZone/NAPA/Jap dealer expedition today & I'm worn out. The parts guy at the Jap dealer kept insisting I give him a make, model & year bike before he'd let me look at his small battery supply in the inner sanctum. I told him I'd know what I wanted when I saw it. I finally just turned & walked out.

ERC - Thanks for the lead, but I think I found one I like. I just have to cut the bracket inside the case off to gain that room; the bracket that holds the thread bung for the OEM air filter bolt. That & reverse 2 of the 3  bolts that hold the case on so the threads don't stick up.
             More later.     

RI USA '08 Black AVL Classic.9.8:1 ACEhead/manifold/canister. TM32/Open bottle/hot tube removed. Pertronix Coil. Fed mandates removed. Gr.TCI. Bobber seat. Battery in right side case. Decomp&all doodads removed. '30s Lucas taillight/7" visored headlight. Much blackout & wire/electrical upgrades.

Superchuck

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: September 12, 2013, 09:46:21 pm
Sorry for the no-reply.  It's been a whirlwind.  Getting a new job, and working like mad to finish my enfield build.  Making a custom seat tonight.

For my contacts I got these little connector things that slide right over the little tabs on that battery I bought.  They sell them at home depot, or probably any store.  It's the female connectors you want, and I think they come in 3 main sizes, based on gauge of your wire you're connecting them to.  I got the biggest ones they had but could've gone with smaller ones.  I ended up cutting off my stock battery connectors (the screw-on ones) and wiring straight into these little tabs.  Works great so far.  No solder required... just taped it up.  You need to crimp the little connector things to make them clamp onto the wire.  I didn't have crimpers so I used needlenose pliers... it worked but i imagine having the real tool would've made things easier. 

I have almost 500 miles on it since doing this mod and it seems to hold up well.
I attached an image of the crimp connectors I used... mine were yellow.  They friction fit very snugly to the little metal tabs on my battery... you just tug hard when you want to get them off.

Not sure any of this helps since you're looking to keep the stock connectors, but it's at least what worked for me.  Small, efficient, and it works.  Space saving, and looks good.

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: September 14, 2013, 12:30:23 am
   Well, I've had it.

I've spent a great part of the afternoon today in a battle to post this battery thing here.

First off (F&*King) Windoze came bashing in and wiped my first attempt out with one of it's F-ing Update Attacks. There was nothing I could do about it. It just shut me down & the forum post was, of course, lost.

Then I waited for SugarSync to update my laptop with the pictures downloaded into my PC. Then I could never find them. Finally found a way around that manually & another couple hours had gone by while---

--- I typed up my whole text over again & downloaded 4 pictures which took another hour. This website found the 4 too big so I deleted one at a time all the way down to 1 & then found that I had to been locked out for being naughty & it would not even let me revise my text (or delete anything) so I just closed the whole thing down.

Why can't you just Drag & Drop pictures into your text frame? Is that so hard to write in to the code for this forum?

Anybody wants to hear about the battery switch & get pictures, email me personally off the forum at tooseevee@cox.net.

I also STILL can't get into the Photo Gallery or post pictures there IF I'm logged in. And that's been for months now.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2013, 12:36:27 am by tooseevee »

Adrian

Reply #6 on: September 14, 2013, 09:54:36 pm
Can't help with the forum procedure, but provided your hardware is compatible I can recommend Lubuntu Linux as a cure for the MS Blues! I have still got Windows 7 on this PC but I rarely use it. The forced shut down for updates when I used XP sticks in my memory as being a particular pain.

Regards,

Adrian

ERC

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #7 on: September 14, 2013, 10:25:59 pm
Computers can be a pain in the ass.   ERC
2-57 Apaches, 2-57 Trailblazers, 60 Chief, 65 Interceptor, 2004 Bullet, 612 Bullet chopped.

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #8 on: September 14, 2013, 10:33:06 pm
Can't help with the forum procedure, but provided your hardware is compatible I can recommend Lubuntu Linux as a cure for the MS Blues! I have still got Windows 7 on this PC but I rarely use it. The forced shut down for updates when I used XP sticks in my memory as being a particular pain.

Regards,

Adrian

I remember when Linux was being touted 25 years ago. I wish I'd made the break then & I'd be used to it now. I'm gunshy now because anything you try that's different, Windows will fight you tooth & nail & it turns into a nightmare.

D the D

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #9 on: September 15, 2013, 04:14:54 am
Been Using Mandrake Linux, and now called Mandriva, since the 90's.
Ubuntu is the easiest freeware Linux for the layman to install and use.  Everything is there where as with others you may have to install Flash and Java Runtime Environment yourself.  It is easy on some, somewhat of a learning process on some.  It isn't MS Windows and lots of software won't run in it, but since most software packages come as RPM (Redhat Linux based) or Deb (Debian based which is what Ubuntu uses by default) packages now, it's really no big deal.
I'm actually using Windows 7 right now - dual boot defaults to Mandriva.
'07 Iron Barrel Military (Deceased 14 September, 2013)
2014 Yamaha Bolt R Spec V-Twin
1975 XLCH

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #10 on: September 20, 2013, 09:34:47 pm
  What the hell is wrong today. I can't seem to post anything. See if THIS one works........

Picture with battery gone.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2013, 09:45:15 pm by tooseevee »

DanB

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #11 on: September 20, 2013, 11:46:19 pm
Oh that's nice!! Giving me ideas. So please share... What did you do with the battery?  Also, I can't recall, where's the mayo can (or did u duckbill it out the backside?)

Great look 2CV!!
Suppose I were an idiot, and suppose I were a member of Congress; but I repeat myself. ... Mark Twain
2006 AVL Electra

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #12 on: September 21, 2013, 12:07:17 am
Oh that's nice!! Giving me ideas. So please share... What did you do with the battery?  Also, I can't recall, where's the mayo can (or did u duckbill it out the backside?)
Great look 2CV!!

If you remember from previous threads all the "mayo can stuff" was done away with long ago & the CC hose was run to the then empty right hand case ending with a duckbill. With the battery now in the right hand case, I just ran the hose to under the bike (you can see it in the Foe Toe) between the frame & the tranny. If it works out OK I'll just leave it there. If not... well, it's a long winter...

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #13 on: September 21, 2013, 12:19:04 am
Oh that's nice!! Giving me ideas. So please share... What did you do with the battery? 

Here's the battery in the right hand case with some closed cell foam cut to fit as padding:

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #14 on: September 21, 2013, 12:29:11 am
Oh that's nice!! Giving me ideas. So please share... What did you do with the battery? 
Great look 2CV!!

Here's the final piece of foam which presses the battery in nice & tight when you shut the door. This battery is less than 1/2 the size in all 3 dimensions & way lighter (AGM). $26 with an old battery to turn in.