Author Topic: New AVL Owner—Help!  (Read 11402 times)

Superchuck

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #45 on: September 29, 2013, 04:36:25 pm
I just bought a handful of jets for my BS29 on nfieldgear... couldn't find an answer to the question so I just asked the guys on the phone and they confirmed that the mikuni jets they sell for the iron barrel bikes are the same that will fit on the AVL.

These are what I bought and they worked with my BS29: http://nfieldgear.com/enfield-store/genuine-mikuni-main-jets.html  Just call them and order over the phone- great guys and they won't steer you wrong.

I, too, have my mixture screw set to 1/2 turn out.  Anything richer and my bike won't maintain a healthy idle.

To answer your earlier question about adjusting needle height,  yes you have to open up the top cap of the carb.  I recommend taking it off and doing it inside on a clean table/etc because there are a bunch of tiny screws and stuff.  I don't know it well enough to give you a play-by-play of the disassembly, but make sure you hold down the cap once you take the fixing screws out... the spring in there will shoot it across the kitchen.  When you get down to the needle, you'll find there's a metal clip on it, and there will probably be a white plastic collar as well.  I got the collar to come off by pushing down on it really hard with a tiny wrench socket, but I ended up putting it back on after moving my clip to the richest setting (closest to the needle point).  Usually, the factory setting will have the metal clip in the middle of the three heights on the needle, and the plastic collar is there as an EPA regulation to dissuade tampering with the efficiency of your machine.

Best of luck, hope this helps!