Author Topic: Poor man's suspension upgrade  (Read 23215 times)

JVS

• Grand Gearhead
  • I love chicken
Reply #30 on: September 14, 2013, 02:20:38 pm
@wildbill

Good stuff. Let me know if you have any issues during installation. Would be good to have your opinion on these oil based shocks and Hagons.
Sons continuing wars, our fathers were enemies

wildbill

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #31 on: September 18, 2013, 10:44:09 am
mine arrived today and 45 minutes later fitted. plan to try them out tomorrow

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #32 on: September 18, 2013, 01:04:52 pm
Sweet!  Now I want to order new shocks.   LOL

Scottie
2001 Harley Davidson Road King

JVS

• Grand Gearhead
  • I love chicken
Reply #33 on: September 18, 2013, 01:08:58 pm
They do look nice, don't they? I hope wildbill finds the ride comfortable and as good as they look, lol.

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #34 on: September 18, 2013, 01:21:38 pm
I really need rear shocks (and to rebuild the forks) and I sure don't have $300 to blow on a set of Hagons, at least right now I don't.  Even if they're half as nice as the Hagons they will be worth the price.  And if my memory serves me correctly not everyone on this forum who has installed Hagons were completely happy with them.

Scottie

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #35 on: September 18, 2013, 09:00:08 pm
The springs rub against the insides of the covers and squeak every time I shift my weight - don't hear it while riding, of course, but when I saddle up before starting... it's not very impressive.  AND the ride doesn't feel any different than the OEM shocks.  AND, I broke the swing arm bolt while changing them...  :-[

Matt, do you have the full coverage shrouds, top and bottom?  Sometimes they rub each other internally and cause a scraping noise.  To combat that, you can get some very thin plastic sheeting and glue it to the inside of the top shroud.  Then the lower shroud rubs on that instead of the upper shroud and there's hardly any noise.

Scott

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #36 on: September 18, 2013, 11:51:30 pm
Scott - just the top shroud.  I wanted to get both; I really like the look.  But it was just too pricey.  There's some play in getting the covers centered on the spring, and I can rotate and shuffle the covers so the rubbing stops, but under normal use they quickly return to "rubbing posture".  Sounds naughty.

No reason, I guess, that lining the inside of the top cover wouldn't ease the noise in my case as well...

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #37 on: September 18, 2013, 11:54:52 pm
My thoughts too, a liner would quiet the spring squeak against the shroud just as well.  It's a small thing, but it just makes your bike feel so much better.  Look for a plastic file folder or something like that, thin and slippery. 

Scott

crush02342002

• Bulleteer
Reply #38 on: September 19, 2013, 01:02:22 am
I looked through some progressive shocks to see if anything would fit but they don't give much specs on them. even went to their website to get more info and just gave up...

is it just me or is the stock suspension stiff as hell?

D the D

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #39 on: September 19, 2013, 01:27:09 am
I really need rear shocks (and to rebuild the forks) and I sure don't have $300 to blow on a set of Hagons, at least right now I don't.  Even if they're half as nice as the Hagons they will be worth the price.  And if my memory serves me correctly not everyone on this forum who has installed Hagons were completely happy with them.

Scottie

Wish you'd said that yesterday.  I'd have taken my Hagons off and sent them to you for the cost of shipping.  I let them go with the bike since insurance is covering them as accessories.
Dennis
'07 Iron Barrel Military (Deceased 14 September, 2013)
2014 Yamaha Bolt R Spec V-Twin
1975 XLCH

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #40 on: September 19, 2013, 04:06:46 am
Wish you'd said that yesterday.  I'd have taken my Hagons off and sent them to you for the cost of shipping.  I let them go with the bike since insurance is covering them as accessories.
Dennis

BIG    :(

Well, what are you waiting for?!  Go chase your bike down and get them back!    ;D

Scottie
« Last Edit: September 19, 2013, 04:09:56 am by Scottie J »

AussieDave

• Grand Gearhead
  • How does this thing work?..Ouch..oh..
Reply #41 on: September 26, 2013, 12:21:14 pm
Hey JVS I just gotta say a big thank you! I got my shockers today and put them on and wow the back  feels much more planted and the ride much smoother. So thanks man. They're great. I'm not posting any pics until I fix my indicator coz I'm ashamed but that should be soon . Cheers D.
"Glorious,stirring sight! The poetry of motion! The real way to travel! The only way to travel! ... O bliss ! O poop poop ! Oh my! Oh my!" - Toad of Toad Hall.

JVS

• Grand Gearhead
  • I love chicken
Reply #42 on: September 27, 2013, 12:25:09 am
Hey Dave,

No worries! I'm glad that you find these shocks an improvement over the OEMs. Well done. Post pics soon and ride safe  :D

Sectorsteve

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #43 on: September 29, 2013, 10:57:14 pm
hey matey. are you still digging the shocks?
ive enquired about getting some myself. love the sound of hagons, but i figure for the $80 you cant go wrong - especially if they are a noticeable improvement on the OEM's

squire

• Bulleteer
Reply #44 on: September 29, 2013, 11:26:15 pm
I'm in Canada and would really like a pair of these shocks but haven't been able to find anyone who will ship a pair to me. Does anyone know if the Indian knock offs are a decent shock and if there's a supplier I can depend on. TIA