Author Topic: Poor man's suspension upgrade  (Read 23213 times)

Bulletman

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2011 - C5 Classic Black
Reply #15 on: September 12, 2013, 05:12:04 pm
Most likely, they are made by EMGO. Taiwanese copies of the Girlings used on Brit bikes. Nothing wrong with them at all, but lighter riders will find them a bit stiff stiffley sprung. Good find.
I have a set in my cabinet for some future project once I find it. They were on sale so I grabbed them up.
You have been missing in action for a while Al..go to hear back again from you... :)
Cheers
"A Blast from my Past"
Black C5 2011

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #16 on: September 12, 2013, 05:58:40 pm
Just a question, if you don't mind. How does the muffler compensate for the lack of a heatshield?

Don't quite understand the question. It looks like a standard EFI muffer with the heat shield where it need to be, ahead of the footpeg. How is the muffler supposed to compensate for a heat shield? The heat shield is for you, not the muffler.
However the stock bazooka does get very hot and the heat shield on it covers the massive bluing that can occur on them. The EFI's don't get that hot, although they can get a nice yellow tinge.
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

squire

• Bulleteer
Reply #17 on: September 12, 2013, 09:32:52 pm
« Last Edit: September 12, 2013, 10:41:12 pm by squire »

Royalista

• phaneropter
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #18 on: September 12, 2013, 10:11:22 pm
The muffler by itself? It's doing well. Of course it gets very, very hot, but most of the English chrome on the unit is holding well as you can see in the photos. If you look carefully (last pic and 4th last pic), you will notice that I do have a heatshield covering the header pipe to silencer connection. It is the 30cm heatshield that I got from Hitchcocks UK  :)

It looked as if there was none but once I knew where to look I found the short piece under rider's footpeg.
Going over the pictures for the second time I have to say the bike looks way much better with the new shocks. It should come with these, the difference is really huge.  8)
moriunt omnes pauci vivunt

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #19 on: September 12, 2013, 10:25:46 pm
+1, looks like it just belongs that way.

JVS

• Grand Gearhead
  • I love chicken
Reply #20 on: September 13, 2013, 01:18:25 am
They say they only ship within Aussie!! I wonder if they are the same as these look-alike shocks from India?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SUSPENSION-REAR-SHOCK-ABSORBERS-BSA-TRIUMPH-NORTON-MATCHLESS-AJS-ROYAL-ENFIELD-/181151680851?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item2a2d7b4953&vxp=mtr#ht_1788wt_917

squire,

Although they look the same, and the Indian seller probably has got it from Tecbikeparts or another source himself/herself and is selling it at a higher price. Plus, they are 13'' shocks and our stock ones are 12.6'' or 320mm.

I would recommend that if you want to get these, get them directly from http://www.tecbikeparts.com/HOW_TO_ORDER.html They most likely ship to USA as well, perhaps with proper item tracking etc. It is safe to get it directly from them. Remember 320mm/12.5'' with 10mm bushings.
Sons continuing wars, our fathers were enemies

squire

• Bulleteer
Reply #21 on: September 13, 2013, 01:30:07 am
Thanks JVS, I'm going to order a set.

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #22 on: September 13, 2013, 02:01:31 am
I didn't know about any other options when I bought my Hagons...

Looks great, JVS!  That's the look I was after, but I couldn't justify the cost of both top and bottom covers on the Hagons.  As it is, I chose the shiny top covers and black springs.  The springs rub against the insides of the covers and squeak every time I shift my weight - don't hear it while riding, of course, but when I saddle up before starting... it's not very impressive.  AND the ride doesn't feel any different than the OEM shocks.  AND, I broke the swing arm bolt while changing them...  :-[

squire

• Bulleteer
Reply #23 on: September 13, 2013, 02:47:48 am
squire,

Although they look the same, and the Indian seller probably has got it from Tecbikeparts or another source himself/herself and is selling it at a higher price. Plus, they are 13'' shocks and our stock ones are 12.6'' or 320mm.

I would recommend that if you want to get these, get them directly from http://www.tecbikeparts.com/HOW_TO_ORDER.html They most likely ship to USA as well, perhaps with proper item tracking etc. It is safe to get it directly from them. Remember 320mm/12.5'' with 10mm bushings.

Just measured mine and they are 12-7/8" centre to centre installed on the bike. I have a C5, I wonder if they are a different length shock than your G5.

JVS

• Grand Gearhead
  • I love chicken
Reply #24 on: September 13, 2013, 04:00:15 am
The springs rub against the insides of the covers and squeak every time I shift my weight - don't hear it while riding, of course, but when I saddle up before starting... it's not very impressive.  AND the ride doesn't feel any different than the OEM shocks.  AND, I broke the swing arm bolt while changing them...  :-[

Matt

Sometimes..we have to compromise. Trial and error works in some cases I guess. I didn't know of any other options either, just luckily stumbled upon these shocks. When I first took the bike off the centerstand after installing the new shocks, I just did a dummy check of the suspension. I also heard these shrouds rubbing against each other from within. So I just moved/rotated the shrouds by hand a bit and adjusted to give an equal gap around the circumference. No more squeaking. Even these shocks are a bit stiff, but for an average weight rider, they should be an improvement over the stock ones. I chose these because of the looks plus acceptable riding comfort. Hagons are top of the line stuff, and I think with the correct damping and spring rates, the Hagons work wonders. But I haven't had the chance to try them  :-\

Just measured mine and they are 12-7/8" centre to centre installed on the bike. I have a C5, I wonder if they are a different length shock than your G5.

squire

All the stock shocks should be the same across all three models, C5, G5 and B5. The length is approximately 320mm, so with the new 12.5'' shocks, you'll be good to go. 13'' will be a bit too much. My stock shocks were also around the 12.7'' mark but these new ones fit perfectly.

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #25 on: September 13, 2013, 10:33:14 am
I also heard these shrouds rubbing against each other from within. So I just moved/rotated the shrouds by hand a bit and adjusted to give an equal gap around the circumference. No more squeaking.

Yeah, I am able to do this as well, but the rubbing always returns.  Seems odd that this rubbing would be SOP - we generally try to avoid metal against metal rubbing of parts.  I know the Hagons are good; I'm hoping that the better shocks are providing me a safer ride even if I don't notice a difference in the comfort...

JVS

• Grand Gearhead
  • I love chicken
Reply #26 on: September 13, 2013, 01:27:07 pm
Yeah, I am able to do this as well, but the rubbing always returns.  Seems odd that this rubbing would be SOP - we generally try to avoid metal against metal rubbing of parts.  I know the Hagons are good; I'm hoping that the better shocks are providing me a safer ride even if I don't notice a difference in the comfort...

Hmm, maybe Scotty can elaborate on this..

I'm not sure how bad the scuffing is on your springs, but most likely you are okay as far as safety goes. Unless there are some major visible stress points on the springs as a result of the scuffing. Keep riding and don't think too much about it.  :)

Craig McClure

• Riding over 50 years
  • Grand Gearhead
  • "No Future In Getting Old"
Reply #27 on: September 13, 2013, 02:54:11 pm
GOOD FOR YOU, NO NEED TO HAND OUT $$$.  I had purchased a very nice pair of 12" chrome plated India made, oil filled shocks, for $100.from Cycle Solutions LLC on Ebay. I think HAGONS are overpriced for what you get.  I wanted something that would function as well as my old GIRLINGS did, So I am very pleased with these Shocks. WAY better than Stock!
Best Wishes, Craig McClure

D the D

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #28 on: September 13, 2013, 04:10:41 pm
The covers are going to rub on a fully enclosed shock too, you just don't see it.   The rubbing isn't going to be significant enough to weaken the springs or cause stress cracks in the shocks' lifetime, the hydraulic valving and seals will be worn out inside long before that ever happened, or your grandchildren will be riding it.  You might eventually wear through the chrome, but again, that isn't weakening the spring or causing stress cracks.  Don't sweat such minutia 'cause if your spring breaks it was a bad spring or you're way too fat.  It just bloody isn't going to happen from rubbing the cover.
I like the open spring look better on most bikes anyway.
'07 Iron Barrel Military (Deceased 14 September, 2013)
2014 Yamaha Bolt R Spec V-Twin
1975 XLCH

wildbill

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #29 on: September 14, 2013, 02:09:51 pm
jvs
i have placed a bid on those ebay shocks. will be keen to see how it goes