Author Topic: UCE Throttle Body, ECU and Programmer  (Read 11613 times)

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
An thaibhsí atá rattling ag an doras agus tá sé an diabhal sa chathaoir.

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #46 on: September 27, 2013, 02:42:28 pm
I am familiar with the math and the techniques.
I'm sure he knows that the intake lobe center angle for a boosted engine is almost always much wider than what is standard on the Enfield twins, and that on boosted engines the exhaust valve is almost always larger than it would be on a normally aspirated engine, along with a more advanced exhaust cam.  And that the overlap period is really needed to be very short on a boosted engine with a crossflow hemi, to reduce blowing too much out the exhaust pipe during overlap.
Wide lobe center angles are the order of the day for boosted engines.
I'm sure he'll agree.

I showed Alex your post and he definitely agrees, and so do I.  So that leads me to this question:  There isn't much for cams out there.  Hitchcocks said they have a "racier cam, but not radical" which I guess is better than nothing.  Or do I take the factory camshafts and have them reground and sacrifice a small amount of lift for a bit more duration?

I talked to a guy from CP-Carrillo the other day.  Rough ball park, I'm looking at $1300 for custom rods and pistons.   :o  A bit more than I anticipated, but needed and worth it.  Carrillo guarantees their rods and pistons to be balanced within +/- 1gram.  And because it's a custom application, I should be able to have the rods custom cut to fit the -.010 grind on the crank/rod journals making a stronger bottom end than running oversized bearings.  Sill haven't decided if I want to attempt fitting the 1 piece alloy Interceptor cylinder.  It'd definitely be stronger and dissipate heat faster, (plus no one has ever put those cylinders on a 700 block) BUT I'm also thinking of having the engine case and cylinders cadmium plated too which I think would look bitchin'.  Decisions, decisions.....

Scottie 
2001 Harley Davidson Road King

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #47 on: September 27, 2013, 03:13:26 pm
I showed Alex your post and he definitely agrees, and so do I.  So that leads me to this question:  There isn't much for cams out there.  Hitchcocks said they have a "racier cam, but not radical" which I guess is better than nothing.  Or do I take the factory camshafts and have them reground and sacrifice a small amount of lift for a bit more duration?

I talked to a guy from CP-Carrillo the other day.  Rough ball park, I'm looking at $1300 for custom rods and pistons.   :o  A bit more than I anticipated, but needed and worth it.  Carrillo guarantees their rods and pistons to be balanced within +/- 1gram.  And because it's a custom application, I should be able to have the rods custom cut to fit the -.010 grind on the crank/rod journals making a stronger bottom end than running oversized bearings.  Sill haven't decided if I want to attempt fitting the 1 piece alloy Interceptor cylinder.  It'd definitely be stronger and dissipate heat faster, (plus no one has ever put those cylinders on a 700 block) BUT I'm also thinking of having the engine case and cylinders cadmium plated too which I think would look bitchin'.  Decisions, decisions.....

Scottie
You have 2 separate camshafts, intake cam and exhaust cam. These can be re-phased to advance or retard them in relation to each other. This is what we do all the time with Bullets, except it's only one cylinder. The concept is the same, and it can be done on your twin too.
They won't need re-grinding unless you want to add lift, or change things more than a simple re-phasing. There are pro and con points to each decision.

Regarding the alloy cylinder, that's a good thing in general, for both light weight and cooling. However, if you are using alcohol fuel, then the need for improved cooling is much reduced because the fuel itself gives a lot more cooling than the gasoline. And since you are boosting, and there's no real way to intercool the intake on this bike, you will need alcohol fuel for this application and also to help cooling. Even so, if you can fairly easily make that alloy cylinder work on your bike, it would probably be a good idea to have it.

If you want some help with this re-phasing stuff, and the possibilities, just email me. I really think that you will need higher lift too, for the best results, so you might want to look at re-grinds that are available, and consider the options of re-phasing them to suit the boosting. I don't think that there are any cams out there for your bike that were ground with boosting as the intended. application
« Last Edit: September 27, 2013, 03:15:41 pm by ace.cafe »
Home of the Fireball 535 !

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #48 on: October 01, 2013, 02:05:05 pm
{Scottie discretely walks into the room and whispers}   It's happening.........     8)

Scottie
2001 Harley Davidson Road King

gremlin

• Grand Gearhead
  • "Do one thing each day that scares you"
Reply #49 on: October 01, 2013, 03:14:43 pm
awesome.
1996 Trophy 1200
2009 Hyosung GV250
2011 RE B5