Author Topic: A lighter clutch lever now  (Read 1964 times)

potboiler

• Scooter
on: September 09, 2013, 07:33:56 pm
I found the clutch action on my 500 AVL Machismo a little heavy and vague feeling. I could see this was due to the rather tortuous cable  routing and the fact that I had adjusted the position of the handlebars by pulling them back towards me for a more relaxed and natural posture. I have now re-routed the clutch cable to by-pass the hole in the headlight shroud, thus eliminating  the double kink that this route causes. It now goes straight across the top of the handlebar clamp and around the side of the engine (see photos). I will be the first to admit it's not a very elegant solution but the clutch pull is so much lighter with a better feel for what the clutch is doing. Perhaps in the future a longer cable could be fitted to hide the cable up under the tank again. But for now I can live with it. I also changed the route of the throttle cable slightly ( between the throttle grip and where it enters the grommet in the headlight shroud) and it is now silky smooth.

Adrian

Reply #1 on: September 09, 2013, 09:52:31 pm
For UK models there were two versions of the 5 speed clutch cable, one for the Sixty-5 (iron engine models) and a longer version for the Electra-X, try one of these, as they needed to be longer to get round the different tinware in the middle of the bike (might be the same part as the AVL Thunderbird clutch cable, which had to cope with higher handlebars).

By the way, I've never seen the valve lifter cable run through a shower hose before!

I have a fiendish plan to solve the problem altogether, still coming together at the moment...

Regards,

Adrian

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #2 on: September 09, 2013, 11:37:50 pm
Have you tried lubing the cable? That can lighten it up a bit, too.
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Ride In Paradise Cabo, Don and Ernie
Reply #3 on: September 10, 2013, 04:43:27 am
That routing makes for e-a-s-e-y replacement when on the road or on the trail.

Good show.
No matter where you go, there, you are.

Buckeroo

• Bulleteer
Reply #4 on: September 21, 2013, 03:23:48 am
That "shower hose" looks like flexible conduit.
This bike was stored for 3.5 years.  It had fallen on its side for awhile. I claimed it about a year and a half ago. Thus the low miles and inexperienced owner.
2008 Bullet Electra Classic 500
Classic Frame and AVL motor
Electric Start
Electronic Ignition
5 speed
CV Carb