Author Topic: What's in my emergency toolkit?  (Read 4893 times)

Rich Mintz

• Grand Gearhead
  • Daily rider in the city
Reply #15 on: September 09, 2013, 04:29:49 pm
For whatever it's worth, all my normal tools fit in a small Klein Tools zipper bag, which tucks right into my tank bag. This is the bag:

http://www.amazon.com/Klein-Tools-5140-Canvas-Zipper/dp/B000MKDUKU/ref=pd_sim_hi_1

I think if I were going on a longer trip I'd use one of the other bags (they come in a set of 4) for small parts and spares.
Rich Mintz - New York City
richmintz@richmintz.com
2010 Royal Enfield Bullet C5 • 2015 SYM Symba
[/URL]

Bulletman

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2011 - C5 Classic Black
Reply #16 on: September 09, 2013, 04:49:56 pm
  Call me crazy, but I ride at night with a pair of these. Not with the lights on of course !... LOL.  But handy to have should you need the light.   And you know.... they are a little better than the stock headlight....

http://www.harborfreight.com/safety-glasses-with-led-lights-66841.html

Do those glasses hold up well under speed..or perhaps  you have one of those "neck Straps" that keep them from flying away?
"A Blast from my Past"
Black C5 2011

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #17 on: September 09, 2013, 05:31:24 pm
Where do you guys put all this crap? As little room as the Enfield has, the Goose has less! I used to put tank bags on my bikes, but the Goose tank is just all wrong for for one and the seat hump makes tail pack difficult. If I really want to carry stuff I do have a fanny pack that will carry considerable amount of stuff, but I seldom take it anyway.
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #18 on: September 09, 2013, 06:20:40 pm
Where do you guys put all this crap?

Got me!... Cafe' trailer ?  ???  :P  ::)

Do those glasses hold up well under speed..or perhaps  you have one of those "neck Straps" that keep them from flying away?

No strap needed. Just like wearing sun glasses, and speed tested.  The ones I have were actually from Lowe's.  They have that nice black foam around the inside of the lens's, which help seal out the air and keep your eye's from tearing....  I think I paid 7 or 8 buck for them ?
« Last Edit: September 09, 2013, 06:26:32 pm by gashousegorilla »
An thaibhsí atá rattling ag an doras agus tá sé an diabhal sa chathaoir.

Craig McClure

• Riding over 50 years
  • Grand Gearhead
  • "No Future In Getting Old"
Reply #19 on: September 09, 2013, 09:14:08 pm
I have a 2"x6" for removing one wheel and a milk crate for removing both.  Total cost: Zero!

DEAR D the D, Yes we could all use only one Vice Grip & Hammer on everything thing as well.
   I only mentioned My Fancy Pants Lift, because it is a wonderful tool to make your craftsmanship better & working more enjoyable. As are the Flexible Ratcheting Flat Wrenches.  With my big red Harbor Freight Hydraulic Platform Lift, I can get any bike Waist High, Where I can see & touch everything without hurting my knees & back, while sitting on a stool (I'm an old guy). When you can get close, & see every little speck, you can do better work.  In the 10 years I've owned the lift I have made at least $20,000 dollars building bikes on it. None had scratches on the frame or cases from a MILK CRATE believe me.
Best Wishes, Craig McClure

Gypsyjon

• Grease Monkey
  • 201o G5 Deluxe Black & Chrome
Reply #20 on: September 09, 2013, 11:11:24 pm
Rich, what are the carabiners for?

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #21 on: September 09, 2013, 11:33:22 pm
I carry the tools in the original kit, minus the useless tire irons but plus a small pair of pliers.  And a cell phone.  On a long multi-day trip I usually take an air pump, spare tube, Slime, a few more wrenches, and the breaker bar and sockets I need to remove both wheels.

Scott

D the D

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #22 on: September 10, 2013, 01:09:52 am
DEAR D the D, Yes we could all use only one Vice Grip & Hammer on everything thing as well.
   I only mentioned My Fancy Pants Lift, because it is a wonderful tool to make your craftsmanship better & working more enjoyable. As are the Flexible Ratcheting Flat Wrenches.  With my big red Harbor Freight Hydraulic Platform Lift, I can get any bike Waist High, Where I can see & touch everything without hurting my knees & back, while sitting on a stool (I'm an old guy). When you can get close, & see every little speck, you can do better work.  In the 10 years I've owned the lift I have made at least $20,000 dollars building bikes on it. None had scratches on the frame or cases from a MILK CRATE believe me.

Just jiving you.  My buddy has one and it does get the work up off the floor.   I still like to sit on the garage floor, though my knees don't like it so much when I get up now days.
'07 Iron Barrel Military (Deceased 14 September, 2013)
2014 Yamaha Bolt R Spec V-Twin
1975 XLCH

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #23 on: September 10, 2013, 02:28:57 am
Anybody remember this pic, from when I changed my fork oil and realigned the fork cover tubes and fender?

I had to lie flat on my back on the garage floor to get this vantage point!  That lift would have done wonders...  ;D

Royalista

• phaneropter
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #24 on: September 10, 2013, 03:09:03 pm
I still like to sit on the garage floor, though my knees don't like it so much when I get up now days.

Same here. Working on the floor is fun, and never out of space.
Lately yet, the day after, sore all over.  :'(
Bit wary about future. Will have to bite the Bullet though, not enough room to set up a platform.
moriunt omnes pauci vivunt

D the D

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #25 on: September 10, 2013, 06:21:25 pm
Same here. Working on the floor is fun, and never out of space.
Lately yet, the day after, sore all over.  :'(
Bit wary about future. Will have to bite the Bullet though, not enough room to set up a platform.

A friend mounted a small winch to the ceiling of his garage.  Ran a 6x6 across the rafters.  It doesn't move like the industrial ones on rails, but he can lift a 600lb bike easy enough.
'07 Iron Barrel Military (Deceased 14 September, 2013)
2014 Yamaha Bolt R Spec V-Twin
1975 XLCH

Royalista

• phaneropter
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #26 on: September 10, 2013, 08:06:16 pm
A friend mounted a small winch to the ceiling of his garage.  Ran a 6x6 across the rafters.  It doesn't move like the industrial ones on rails, but he can lift a 600lb bike easy enough.

Hm, that's a good idea. I see possibilities.  8)
moriunt omnes pauci vivunt

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #27 on: September 11, 2013, 12:10:42 am
Well I think a lift that can raise 600 pounds might be too big to fit into my emergency toolkit.  ;D

Getting back to a emergency tool kit, in addition to some of the basic wrenches/sockets I stuck a very small digital multimeter into one of the pockets in my saddlebags.

It only cost about $8 and takes up very little room.

With the electrical issues that RE's can have I figure it's presence might keep the Lucas gremlins at bay. :)
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

no bs

• Grand Gearhead
  • if it's got two wheels i'm on it
Reply #28 on: September 12, 2013, 03:46:23 am
once upon a time, had a chain adjuster on a honda 450 let go. a 4" vise grip placed strategically got me home. replaced the adjusters with a used set from a z1 kawa(twice as beefy as stock). very versatile, takes up little space. like the saying goes,don't leave home without it.
killing bugs since 1972 2011 g5 deluxe frankenbullet

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Ride In Paradise Cabo, Don and Ernie
Reply #29 on: September 12, 2013, 05:58:45 am
Rich, what are the carabiners for?

One use is hauling groceries home.
 Clip the handles of a pair of doubled up plastic grocery bags together and throw them over the seat saddle bag style.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2013, 06:53:23 am by Ice »
No matter where you go, there, you are.