Author Topic: Softer ride, please.  (Read 2689 times)

potboiler

• Scooter
on: September 04, 2013, 09:59:29 am
After riding only 50 miles on my Bullet 500 mach' since buying it, I already feel the need to make the ride more comfortable. Weighing only 140lbs, I think I would like to fit lighter springs front and rear. Has anyone fitted the ones available from Hitchcocks and what was the effect?
How easy is it to do? Do you just remove the front fork legs from the headlight shroud, unscrew the plug from the leg and the spring will pop out? How about using a lighter fork oil as well?
Do you have to remove the rear mudguard to remove the suspension units ( looks like the top fixing bolt wont come out, otherwise). How is it best to compress the spring on each unit to replace it?
After all this, do you think it would be overkill to fit a sprung solo saddle as well ( or will I be bouncing up and down so much that I will look like Zebadee from the magic Roundabout?).

DanB

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: September 04, 2013, 05:29:03 pm
Can I suggest before replacing all the springs, that you try a couple of 'easier' mods?

1.  Fork oil.  You should be able to drain (mostly) the current oil in the forks and replace with a lower weight fork oil; say around a 10 weight.  You can experiment with different oils and amounts to suit your riding preference.  I'm not sure of the Mach model, but my Electra likes ~ 200 ml in each fork.  I recently changed over to a 10w and its much better

2.  Rear shocks.  Before replacing you should be able to adjust the tension.  Again, im not sure on your specific model, but I have about 5 settings I can play with.  Its an easy adjustment.  With that said, many have replaced the shocks with Hagons and there's lots of posts on this topic throughout the forum.

Hope this helps and good luck!
Suppose I were an idiot, and suppose I were a member of Congress; but I repeat myself. ... Mark Twain
2006 AVL Electra

D the D

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #2 on: September 04, 2013, 06:03:07 pm
What Dan B said!
'07 Iron Barrel Military (Deceased 14 September, 2013)
2014 Yamaha Bolt R Spec V-Twin
1975 XLCH

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
  • Everybody's havin' them dreams
Reply #3 on: September 04, 2013, 07:26:12 pm
   Ditto & +1 to what D the D & DanB said.

And just a question out of curio city: Do you ride mostly on crappy roads with lotsa holes & woop de dooz? Why I ask is I have a stock-shocked '08 Classic with the factory crap still in the forks & I weigh 140 pounds.

I've only bottomed out my faux Lycette solo seat once in 840 miles & that was my fault; I should have seen the small, but just-right-deep hole. I don't know how the front end is sposta feel as this is my first (since 1959) bike of this type. I plan to replace the fork oil over the Winter just so I'll know the difference + from what I read here the past three years it's crap & should be got out & that I'll be a happy boy with real fork oil in them.   

Anyway. I don't have any problem in any of the riding I've done & would be afraid to replace my stock shocks with anything that's softer than the softest setting on the stock shocks. And what would you ask for from the shock store?

But waddoowye know? I also ride a hardtail harley  ;D
« Last Edit: September 05, 2013, 08:11:15 pm by tooseevee »
RI USA '08 Black AVL Classic.9.8:1 ACEhead/manifold/canister. TM32/Open bottle/hot tube removed. Pertronix Coil. Fed mandates removed. Gr.TCI. Bobber seat. Battery in right side case. Decomp&all doodads removed. '30s Lucas taillight/7" visored headlight. Much blackout & wire/electrical upgrades.

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: September 04, 2013, 11:10:14 pm
The stock shocks are never going to be great. Get some Hagons! You're bike will appreciate it. Your back will appreciate them. People who haven't tried them don't know what they're missing. That was probably the one add on accessory item that made the biggest difference on the bike.
As for the forks as mentioned 10wt Fork Oil. With the AVL, you have the longer forks that are supposed take 265 ml of oil. However it depends on how much of the sludge that's in your forks will come out in the first place. 200 is an OK place to start, but be prepared to have to add more. That part is easy.
Also tire pressures can make a big difference. Keep the fronts at 18-20 and the rears at around 24 and you will have a much nicer ride.
bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

Machismo

• Scooter
Reply #5 on: September 19, 2013, 06:39:15 pm
The stock shocks are never going to be great. Get some Hagons! You're bike will appreciate it. Your back will appreciate them. People who haven't tried them don't know what they're missing. That was probably the one add on accessory item that made the biggest difference on the bike.
As for the forks as mentioned 10wt Fork Oil. With the AVL, you have the longer forks that are supposed take 265 ml of oil. However it depends on how much of the sludge that's in your forks will come out in the first place. 200 is an OK place to start, but be prepared to have to add more. That part is easy.
Also tire pressures can make a big difference. Keep the fronts at 18-20 and the rears at around 24 and you will have a much nicer ride.
bare
Isn't 20 too low and chance of getting a flat tire higher(especially if one's more inclined on off-roading)?

DanKearney

• Grease Monkey
Reply #6 on: September 19, 2013, 07:39:44 pm
Isn't 20 too low and chance of getting a flat tire higher(especially if one's more inclined on off-roading)?

I was surprised at how low the tire pressure should be according to the manual.   However, it does make a difference.  Also, usually one always runs lower tire pressure off-road than on-road.  While this can increase the possibility of getting a pinch flat, overall it allows the tire to conform better to the irregular road surface on dirt roads, trails, etc.  You just have to be aware of sharp edged rocks that can cause a pinch flat.

Cheers,

Dan K.

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
  • Everybody's havin' them dreams
Reply #7 on: September 19, 2013, 08:39:06 pm

Do you have to remove the rear mudguard to remove the suspension units ( looks like the top fixing bolt wont come out, otherwise). How is it best to compress the spring on each unit to replace it?

Did you ever remove your rear shocks?

The top bolt just pulls out; very simple, very easy.

The bottom looks worse. Looks like you have to remove the studs somehow without totally bodging up the threads

OR

Remove (or at least loosen) the fender frames. The fender frame stops the shock from coming free of the lower shock stud.

Personally I would try removing the stud first (wrap the threads with copper & use a Vice Grip. There's not enough thread to double-nut.       
RI USA '08 Black AVL Classic.9.8:1 ACEhead/manifold/canister. TM32/Open bottle/hot tube removed. Pertronix Coil. Fed mandates removed. Gr.TCI. Bobber seat. Battery in right side case. Decomp&all doodads removed. '30s Lucas taillight/7" visored headlight. Much blackout & wire/electrical upgrades.

potboiler

• Scooter
Reply #8 on: September 20, 2013, 01:29:07 pm
Just received the softer rear shock springs from Hitchcocks. Getting the shock units off the frame was very easy. Just hinge the rear sub-frame up over so the top shock bolts can pass out and the bottom shock boss slid off the stud. Making up a wooden (!) spring compressor to swap the springs to the new lighter ones. Got a new sprung saddle to fit as well and dual-rate front springs + 10w oil. I should hopefully be floating on air after these mods.