Author Topic: Fuel leak! (!!!)  (Read 14651 times)

D the D

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #60 on: October 01, 2013, 01:54:26 pm
They're still in use with modern materials.  In WWII they were soft multi-layer rubber bladders inside the tanks.  When a bullet or shrapnel passed through, the vulcanized (firmer) inner and outer bladder layers tried to return to their molded shape and the middle layers of natural rubber (soft and gooey) absorbed fuel and expanded, filling the hole and gooey-ing itself together forming a seal, sort of.  They weren't perfect, but it worked better than a hole in the tank.  They don't have a practical application in an automobile gas tank unless you plan to be shot at.  :o
'07 Iron Barrel Military (Deceased 14 September, 2013)
2014 Yamaha Bolt R Spec V-Twin
1975 XLCH

AussieDave

• Grand Gearhead
  • How does this thing work?..Ouch..oh..
Reply #61 on: October 02, 2013, 07:39:24 am
It's not really relevant to the long suffering Rich's predicament , but thanks for sating my curiosity . I often wondered as a kid, playing with my airfix models. As regards being shot at I know you yanks have lax gun laws and my posts may be irritating , but you'll have to find me first. I be a fast movin target on my silver g5! :)
"Glorious,stirring sight! The poetry of motion! The real way to travel! The only way to travel! ... O bliss ! O poop poop ! Oh my! Oh my!" - Toad of Toad Hall.

Rich Mintz

• Grand Gearhead
  • Daily rider in the city
Reply #62 on: December 20, 2013, 06:18:28 pm
Update: Both issues with my bike have been repaired, and both were fully or mostly covered under warranty. I'm picking the bike up this weekend. Per my dealer:

1. Tank was replaced under warranty with a new tank that has a slightly different design, which has spacers to hold it in place. Dealer said "I bet I know what the problem was, you didn't put the spacers back in" and I replied "no, the stock tank on this 2010 didn't have spacers -- that was a design change that happened after my bike was produced" (as discussed earlier on this thread). As usual, the people on this forum got it right.

2. Dealer fixed the problem with my 4th gear not holding. A clip was knocked out of place (possibly during the earlier repair) so the gear was slipping or sagging out of position. Dealer reports that in downshifting from 5th to 4th, sometimes the gear overshoots to 3rd, but I told him that was normal -- the transmission on my bike is just kind of loose.

Bottom line: these bikes aren't built to Honda quality standards, but that's part of their charm. They have personality.

To be honest, if i had it to do over again, I might have bought a Triumph instead -- then again, I might not have, it's been a lot of fun getting to know this bike and its quirks, and I'm looking forward to some winter riding in the city.
Rich Mintz - New York City
richmintz@richmintz.com
2010 Royal Enfield Bullet C5 • 2015 SYM Symba
[/URL]

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #63 on: December 20, 2013, 06:22:53 pm
+1  on getting your bike back.
+10 for winter riding.    ;D
2001 Harley Davidson Road King

Rich Mintz

• Grand Gearhead
  • Daily rider in the city
Reply #64 on: December 20, 2013, 06:30:57 pm
Scottie, I ride almost every day that the streets aren't actually icy (including some days when the temp is below freezing but the streets are clear).

One day last week I got caught in a snowstorm coming home, but the city was prepared and the streets were okay. There are routes I can take home from work that are very heavily traveled (including straight down Broadway), so if I slow down and stay in the car tire tracks, I can ride even on the worst days if I'm up for an adventure.

To be honest, on the worst days I mostly leave the Enfield at home and take out the SYM Symba 100. It's lighter weight and has newer tires, so it does better in mildly snowy weather. My third bike, a 20-year-old Honda CB250, is extremely reliable, but the tires are even older than my Enfield, so it doesn't grip well in the wet. I'm probably going to replace the tires this winter.
Rich Mintz - New York City
richmintz@richmintz.com
2010 Royal Enfield Bullet C5 • 2015 SYM Symba
[/URL]

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #65 on: December 20, 2013, 07:31:53 pm
Rich,
You really didn't want a Triumph, at least not the twin. Absolutely no character. but they will quit on you in worst possible situation, like running down an HOV lane at 80 to keep up with the traffic. It ain't fun being pinned to the wall in those lanes! And the damn thing only get 38mpg! Remember, I traded a Triumph in on the Enfield. Best swap I ever made!
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

gmmechanic

• Scooter
Reply #66 on: December 20, 2013, 09:00:52 pm
marinetex also works great...back in the day we would even use it on leaking battries
2014 c5 military

Royalista

• phaneropter
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #67 on: December 20, 2013, 11:02:54 pm
Keep it simple: a shard of sunlight soap. Better than welding   :o
It stills works for me: 50 days and counting (xing fingers).  ;D
moriunt omnes pauci vivunt

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #68 on: December 21, 2013, 01:46:51 am
Welcome back, Rich!  Glad to hear you'll be up and riding your RE again!!!

azcatfan

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2002 Bullet ES
Reply #69 on: December 21, 2013, 02:58:50 am
Glad you'll be back on the bike soon! BTW I dig your YT videos too...
-2002 Bullet ES Up-Jetted with Ace Air Canister and punched HD Exhaust.

My MotoVlog Channel:  http://tinyurl.com/nnso3av

Catbird

• Grease Monkey
Reply #70 on: December 21, 2013, 03:46:23 am
I miss your videos - I was wondering what happened to you.
1972 Honda CB350 twin - sold
1976 Honda GL1000 Goldwing - sold
1996 BMW R1100RT - sold
2005 BMW R1200RT - sold
2011 Vespa GTS 300
2013 Royal Enfield C5 Military
2014 Honda CTX700N DCT
2014 Honda CB1100