Author Topic: Fuel leak! (!!!)  (Read 14679 times)

GreenMachine

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #45 on: September 06, 2013, 03:00:55 pm
I'm glad u made it back safe n sound..Be interesting to see what the shift problem is now....The tank should be just replaced under warranty..
Oh Magoo you done it again

Rich Mintz

• Grand Gearhead
  • Daily rider in the city
Reply #46 on: September 08, 2013, 03:49:00 pm
Re-epoxied the tank seam yesterday. It wasn't leaking exactly, just weeping very slowly (not enough to actually drip on the ground). I tried to be careful to get a thick layer on the leaky spot despite the action of gravity working against me. It helped to let the epoxy thicken for a couple of minutes in the mixing cup before starting to apply it.
Rich Mintz - New York City
richmintz@richmintz.com
2010 Royal Enfield Bullet C5 • 2015 SYM Symba
[/URL]

singhg5

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #47 on: September 08, 2013, 04:12:18 pm
Re-epoxied the tank seam yesterday. It wasn't leaking exactly, just weeping very slowly (not enough to actually drip on the ground). I tried to be careful to get a thick layer on the leaky spot despite the action of gravity working against me. It helped to let the epoxy thicken for a couple of minutes in the mixing cup before starting to apply it.

Seems it is getting under control and the dealer should get you a new tank.

Do you have any picture of the location of the leak ?  Or can you get one ?
« Last Edit: September 08, 2013, 04:47:25 pm by singhg5 »
1970's Jawa /  Yezdi
2006 Honda Nighthawk
2009 Royal Enfield Black G5

Rich Mintz

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #48 on: September 08, 2013, 05:13:57 pm
I did take pictures.

Just checked the epoxy, which cured overnight. A pinhole formed, through which gas is still seeping!

Going to apply again today, and after the epoxy is hard (but not fully cured), I'm going to turn the tank right side up (but keep it tilted to keep fuel off the repaired area), and release my fuel cap overnight so that any vapor that builds up is released from that side. I did this on the first application but not the second, and I'm guessing that was why the epoxy weakened during curing.
richmintz@richmintz.com
[/URL]

gremlin

• Grand Gearhead
  • "Do one thing each day that scares you"
Reply #49 on: September 08, 2013, 05:54:03 pm
......I came in 8 months ago knowing nothing...........

and, I still know nothing !!!!   ;D ;D ;)
1996 Trophy 1200
2009 Hyosung GV250
2011 RE B5

D the D

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #50 on: September 08, 2013, 07:45:16 pm

Okee dokee Sergeant Schultz.  :D
'07 Iron Barrel Military (Deceased 14 September, 2013)
2014 Yamaha Bolt R Spec V-Twin
1975 XLCH

Royalista

• phaneropter
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #51 on: September 08, 2013, 08:15:22 pm

The quest for knowledge, a shortcut to ignorance.  ;)
Annoying at times, yet so addictive.
moriunt omnes pauci vivunt

Rich Mintz

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #52 on: September 30, 2013, 04:52:48 pm
Just to circle back: the second coat of JB Weld epoxy fixed my leak. I was extra-generous with the epoxy this time, because the area of leakage is on the underside and not visible without taking the tank off. So I'm unlikely to get any further leaks along that weld seam.

As best I can tell, this is a permanent fix. If it's still holding a week from now, I won't bother to try to get the tank replaced under warranty. (The devil you know...)
richmintz@richmintz.com
[/URL]

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #53 on: September 30, 2013, 05:27:37 pm
As best I can tell, this is a permanent fix. If it's still holding a week from now, I won't bother to try to get the tank replaced under warranty. (The devil you know...)

On the other hand, Rich, according to Kevin Mahoney:

Somewhere along the line RE changed the stamping for the underside of the tank to allow for a little more room and to make a better tank. The net result is that the flanges are wider on new tanks.

Which means, a) a replacement may be a better choice for the long run, and b) a replacement won't fit the same, and you'll have to adapt it with spacers (which I did).

Just saying...

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #54 on: September 30, 2013, 06:02:00 pm
  DON'T  rely on Jb weld, on the underside of your tank as a permanent repair....  If you don't want to get a warranty tank. Take it to a radiator shop. They can weld or braze it for a permanent repair.  They can also flush out the old tank sealant... which will be damaged from the heat... and reline it with Red Kote. 
An thaibhsí atá rattling ag an doras agus tá sé an diabhal sa chathaoir.

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #55 on: September 30, 2013, 06:15:16 pm
+1.

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
  • Everybody's havin' them dreams
Reply #56 on: September 30, 2013, 06:49:19 pm
Just to circle back: the second coat of JB Weld epoxy fixed my leak. I was extra-generous with the epoxy this time, because the area of leakage is on the underside and not visible without taking the tank off. So I'm unlikely to get any further leaks along that weld seam.

Rich,

Why can't you remove your tank, ship it to your dealer UPS or FED-X, let the dealer evaluate the leak & ship you a new & improved tank on warranty?
(Am I correct your dealer is far away?)

Kevin Mahoney is aware of your story through this forum & should back you up with your dealer.

J-B Weld is good (I love it) but will come loose sooner or later exactly when you don't want it to.

Maybe I'm unaware of something that makes this not viable. In that case, just ignore me. Everyone else does  :)
« Last Edit: September 30, 2013, 06:54:54 pm by tooseevee »
RI USA '08 Black AVL Classic.9.8:1 ACEhead/manifold/canister. TM32/Open bottle/hot tube removed. Pertronix Coil. Fed mandates removed. Gr.TCI. Bobber seat. Battery in right side case. Decomp&all doodads removed. '30s Lucas taillight/7" visored headlight. Much blackout & wire/electrical upgrades.

AussieDave

• Grand Gearhead
  • How does this thing work?..Ouch..oh..
Reply #57 on: September 30, 2013, 11:23:07 pm
This talk about fuel tank coatings has me curious .is it a rust inhibitor or a sealant primarily? And does anyone know what the self sealing stuff the Air Force used in the days on bullets and dogfights was? I believe it was developed by the poms to help their bombers get home just curious . And it makes me wonder.
"Glorious,stirring sight! The poetry of motion! The real way to travel! The only way to travel! ... O bliss ! O poop poop ! Oh my! Oh my!" - Toad of Toad Hall.

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #58 on: September 30, 2013, 11:28:38 pm
It's mostly for sealing but does also help prevent corrosion.  It's critical with all of them that the interior surface be cleaned and prepped right.

I haven't seen any self healing types available in the civilian market.

Scott

AussieDave

• Grand Gearhead
  • How does this thing work?..Ouch..oh..
Reply #59 on: October 01, 2013, 03:25:48 am
Neither have I. I wonder if it would be feasible ? Would certainly add real meaning to the term " bullet proof" though.
"Glorious,stirring sight! The poetry of motion! The real way to travel! The only way to travel! ... O bliss ! O poop poop ! Oh my! Oh my!" - Toad of Toad Hall.