Author Topic: Fuel leak! (!!!)  (Read 14659 times)

jkrobin

• Scooter
Reply #15 on: September 04, 2013, 04:59:59 pm
Rich,

There's an RE dealership in Winchester, VA, which is about 75 miles west of you (if you're still in DC, that is).
2012 C5 Chrome (Black)
Charlottesville, Virginia

hortoncode3

• Grease Monkey
Reply #16 on: September 04, 2013, 07:54:21 pm
If it was me I would toss the stock chain and invest in good O ring chain. It  won't wear out as fast and your sprockets will thank you. My OEM chain wore so quickly I ended up de-toothing the sprockets far from home. And yes, I did lube it properly and periodically adjust it!

Rich Mintz

• Grand Gearhead
  • Daily rider in the city
Reply #17 on: September 04, 2013, 08:21:33 pm
Ok, I identified the problem. Gas is leaking from the inside of the left-hand fin, toward the front of the tank. It appears that the leak is at or near the very bottom of the fin.

I can't get the seat off without another 13mm wrench, which I'm about to go buy, and then I'll be able to take the tank fully off and look under.

Are any of these quick cure products worth using, just to get me home? Or should I truck the bike home?
Rich Mintz - New York City
richmintz@richmintz.com
2010 Royal Enfield Bullet C5 • 2015 SYM Symba
[/URL]

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #18 on: September 04, 2013, 08:46:21 pm
Sounds like a crack between the fun/mounting tab and the tank body.  A few people have reported these and they changed the way they weld the tanks because of it.  Should be covered under warrantee.

Make sure the tank mounting bolts front and rear are tight.  If it were me I'd get some JB Weld or similar putty epoxy tank repair and put it on the EMPTY tank. Let it set for 24 hours, fill up, and make your way home keeping an eye on it.  Since it was caused by stress and vibration you will need to weld or replace the tank for a permanent repair, but it will probably hold for the 250 miles to home.

Scott

Rich Mintz

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #19 on: September 04, 2013, 09:43:01 pm
Thanks, Scott. As you wrote this I was at the hardware store around the corner buying a 10" socket extender, a 13mm combo wrench, and 2 packets of JB Weld. One packet worth is currently setting in place on the tank seam, the other is in my tool bag for the road.

Based on where the leakage and visible damage was, I think what failed was the welded seam at the bottom of the tank (on the half that hangs to the left of the bar), not the welded seam between other parts. But I applied compound at a few other points that looked like they were degrading.

The tank is swiveled back (leaning against the pillion) but still connected.

I'm going to sit with it for an hour until it looks like the epoxy will hold its shape, then gently set the tank back in position and leave it to cure overnight. I'm hoping that by 7am (15 hours) it will be cured enough to reassemble and test.
richmintz@richmintz.com
[/URL]

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #20 on: September 04, 2013, 09:49:14 pm
The JB weld should hold for a little while.  It is NOT ethanol resistant so it will turn to goop in the long term if you use ethanol laced fuel.  And like I said, stress cracks always grow over time.  And take it easy on the highway, keep the revs down so as not to make it worse.  Hopefully this will get you home where you can get it sorted.  You might want to call the dealer and let them know what's up so they can check availability of a new tank.  Have them inquire about the one with the newer type rolling spot weld.  These were introduced (in 2012, I think) to avoid the kind of cracks you now have.  Good luck!

Scott

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #21 on: September 04, 2013, 09:59:49 pm
Oh!  And take a lesson from Mattsz.  He got a new tank but the mounting tabs were set wider apart than the old one.  He tightened it up, pressed the tabs together, and had problems.  Compare the tanks side by side.  If the mounting tabs on the new tank are set wider than your old one you'll need spacers to take up the slack.  Make SURE to warn your dealer about this one, and tell them to ask CMW.

Scott

Rich Mintz

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #22 on: September 04, 2013, 10:48:37 pm
I've let the epoxy cure for 90 minutes. Almost all the tackiness is gone. I applied a pretty thick layer.

The tank is currently in a poorly supported position where I don't want to leave it overnight, lest it fall over.

Is it safe to turn the tank right side up yet (potentially putting a bit of fuel on the inside of the leak)? I'm going to support the tank in a tilted position with something so that hopefully the fuel stays away.

Also, do I have to open the gas cap to prevent pressure buildup overnight while the epoxy cures?

There's only a small bit of gas in there (just a few ounces).
richmintz@richmintz.com
[/URL]

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #23 on: September 04, 2013, 11:27:27 pm
Take the tank off and see where it's leaking. Cracks are commonly found at the rear motor mount junction with the tanks, usually caused by the tank bolts coming loose and the tank vibrating. If it's cracked, take it to a welder with a heliarc (TIG) take it to a reputable welder and get him to weld it.
My tank got a crack in it and I flushed the tank to get all the fumes out and that saved me a lot of money. The guy did the job for $20. The burnt paint around the weld was so small an area I never bothered to repaint it. If they have to do the flushing, it will probably cost a lot more! Call the welders in your area and see if you can get an estimate.
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #24 on: September 04, 2013, 11:33:17 pm
I'd let is cure as long as possible before getting the spot wet with fuel again.  Then set it in place and bolt it on.  The cap has a built in pressure relief, but leaving it only half clicked down wouldn't be the worst idea, unless it's going to rain.

Scott

Rich Mintz

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #25 on: September 05, 2013, 03:04:50 am
Checked on the bike. Epoxy is curing well. I tipped the tank a bit closer to normal orientation for a sec and there was no hint of a leak. More tomorrow, but I'm optimistic!
richmintz@richmintz.com
[/URL]

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #26 on: September 05, 2013, 03:55:59 am
   Sorry to be late to the applying temporary goop solution...... But, I've used this stuff with very good results in the past , Cures a lot quicker , very easy to apply and work with. And, you could probably just leave it on till it is permanently repaired or they get you a new tank..... 

http://www.permatex.com/products-2/product-categories/specialized-maintenance-repair/radiator-fuel-tank-repair/permatex-instant-gas-tank-repair-detail

An thaibhsí atá rattling ag an doras agus tá sé an diabhal sa chathaoir.

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Ride In Paradise Cabo, Don and Ernie
Reply #27 on: September 05, 2013, 05:08:52 am
I can vouch for the fuel proof-ness of regular JB Weld.

The JB Weld inside the float bowl on my Harley shovel head has been holding strong since 1995 with no signs of degradation yet.

The float bowl of my iron barrel was coated both inside and outside in September of 2009 and it too is still solid.

I have never used the quick setting formula only the regular stuff.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2013, 05:16:52 am by Ice »
No matter where you go, there, you are.

singhg5

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #28 on: September 05, 2013, 05:21:24 am
Rich:

Hope that JB Weld stops the leak for your return journey back to NY. Take it slow and be safe.
1970's Jawa /  Yezdi
2006 Honda Nighthawk
2009 Royal Enfield Black G5

GreenMachine

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #29 on: September 05, 2013, 02:21:45 pm
Looks like JB weld is one of those must have items to add in a road repair kit for these bikes on a extended trip...Poor guy just wants to ride his bike without it peeing down his leg...Might as well put a better chain on especially if he doesn't want to fuss with adjusting it....
Oh Magoo you done it again