Author Topic: Epic Camping Trip  (Read 2053 times)

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
on: September 02, 2013, 10:45:05 pm
Just got back from my camping trip to Deckers, CO.  WHAT A GREAT TIME!  We took this amazingly beautiful road there that was riddled with sweepers and switchbacks going thru some truly amazing scenery.  Made a couple rest stops here and there and spent a total of about 3 hours and 87 miles to get there.

We got to camp at about 2:30pm as it was starting to sprinkle, and got everything set up JUST as it started to down pour.  Thanks to my 11'x11' tarp that I used to make an awning, tho it rained for almost 3 hours, we still got a campfire going and the rain eventually cleared off making for a clear star filled sky.  We cooked some venison tenderloin and ribeye steaks for dinner, and it was delicious!  We sipped on some booze and enjoy a cigar while we were waiting for the rain to clear off and just had a real great time sharing stories and making new ones.

Camp All Set Up

Paul And Charles Smoking A Cigar

Me Smoking A Cigar

Warming Up By The Campfire

Ribeye Steaks On The Campfire

Just Relaxing

Our Utility Stick For The Center Of Our Awning

Morning came and we got the campfire going again to make coffee, and eventually breakfast.  Paul and I drank a cup of coffee and had a morning cigarette as we watched the sun burn off all the moisture from the night before.  Cooked some hash browns, eggs and sausage links, a filling breakfast for the ride back home.  We got camp packed up and hit the road at about 11:45am this morning.  We were all pretty worn out and decided to just take the "fast" way back home.

Sunrise On Camp

Coffee And My Morning Cig

Breakfast Is Served!

Loaded Up And Ready To Head Home

A View From The Ride Home

Pavement Riding - 156 Miles
Dirt Roads - 26 Miles
Total Trip - 182 Miles and about 5 1/2 hours    :D

Scottie

EDIT:  I should probably add.......  No Adventure trip is complete without adventure right?!  After the rain had settled down and we started cooking dinner, I went down to the mountain stream to rinse out a ziploc bag that had meat juices/marinade in it.  The current was REALLY strong and the water murky from all the mountain run off.  I dipped the ziploc bag in the stream to rinse it and the current pulled the bag out of my left hand.....  A half second later my wedding ring was gone!   :o  I reached in immediately feeling the bottom trying to find it but the current was just too strong and my ring was gone.   The 3 of us spent a good half hour or more the next morning sifting thru about 75' section of the stream in all the places it could've gotten lodged and trapped, but no luck, it had completely disappeared.    :'(   Needless to say the wife was not impressed.  Looks like I'm going to be buying a replacement ring in the next week or 2.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2013, 11:26:42 pm by Scottie J »
2001 Harley Davidson Road King

boggy

• Grand Gearhead
  • Karma Ultra: 7
Reply #1 on: September 03, 2013, 12:45:20 am
That stinks man.  I lost mine a year ago in the surf of a Forida beach.  It's a crap feeling.

Like that first shot of the bikes all lined up... big, medium and small.  And that last shot - that dirt road looks fun!

2007 AVL
2006 DRZ400SM

DanKearney

• Grease Monkey
Reply #2 on: September 03, 2013, 01:47:22 am
Nice.  Rampart Range Road has lots of spurs and loops coming off of it.  It's about impossible not to find a good place to camp.

Cheers,

Dan K.

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: September 03, 2013, 02:16:28 am
We did Rampart Range a few weeks, also a great road.  That last pic is between Deckers and Sedalia on the dirt section of 67.  This trip was seriously the most fun I've had in a long time.  Even as we were getting rained on under the awning, we were just laughing and having a blast.  Never actually got wet.  In or out of the tent.

Scottie
2001 Harley Davidson Road King

DanKearney

• Grease Monkey
Reply #4 on: September 03, 2013, 04:52:26 am
We did Rampart Range a few weeks, also a great road.  That last pic is between Deckers and Sedalia on the dirt section of 67.  This trip was seriously the most fun I've had in a long time.  Even as we were getting rained on under the awning, we were just laughing and having a blast.  Never actually got wet.  In or out of the tent.

Scottie
Yeah, that section of road has some serious curves in it.  I haven't camped down there houth (yet).

Cheers,

Dan K.