Author Topic: North American UCE's  (Read 8612 times)

Snakebite

• Scooter
on: June 17, 2008, 07:04:50 pm
Since I've decided to hold off on purchasing a RE until the new engine
hits the states, does anyone have an "inside track" or well founded
rumor about what the new engine will appear on?

deejay

Reply #1 on: June 18, 2008, 06:20:11 pm

I heard rumors that it will be a bike designed like the old Model G. My bet is it will be on the Classic at least.

REpozer

• Grand Gearhead
  • Royal Enfield , Let the good times roll.
Reply #2 on: June 20, 2008, 06:20:21 pm
I thought the AVL engine was the new one ;)
2008 ( AVL) Classic Bullet in British Racing Green
REA member # 84  (inactive)

stipa

• Grease Monkey
Reply #3 on: June 21, 2008, 10:42:17 pm

I heard rumors that it will be a bike designed like the old Model G. My bet is it will be on the Classic at least.

I had read where the North American model UCE will have similarities to a Model G;  however, I think a Model G was a rigid framed beast with girder forks.  I think the new one will be all sprung with hydraulic dampening, as well it should be.  It looks like the UCE will be a little more modern styled engine, and to try and force it into an antique chassis probably won't work,  styling wise or roadworthy-ness. 
As I understand it, swingarm development was one of the trademarks of
RE anyway;  that should probably be emphasized.  Improved rear suspension might even help things.  Personally, (being a bigger guy), I would like to see the frame stretched out a bit, a couple inches anyway, and maybe stretch the swingarm a couple inches also. 
The ergonomics on the Bullet are excellent, a little more wheelbase would be nice though. (If for nothing else, appearance sake). 

stipa

• Grease Monkey
Reply #4 on: June 21, 2008, 10:46:02 pm
You know what else might be nice though, some vintage paint options!!!
Some creamy creams and dusky reds, and maybe some manner of gray. 
Just my opinion.

luoma

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: June 27, 2008, 03:07:35 am
Stipa, I agree, although many might not. When they came out with the PT Cruiser, I remember thinking they should have offered a brown paint, like the old roadsters from the 40s. As for the enfield, I seem to remember some old bikes that has metalic grey with red pin stripes, can't remember what bike it was though.

doomed1

• The Pirate King
  • Bulleteer
Reply #6 on: June 29, 2008, 03:58:24 am
I'm with snakebite on this one. I'm holding off until next year when the new engine is going to make it over to dive in. I need to know a few things about the new engine before I make my first motorcycle purchase
« Last Edit: June 29, 2008, 04:03:28 am by doomed1 »

luoma

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #7 on: June 29, 2008, 07:51:51 pm
Rather than wait, you should get in on one of the last 25 iron barrel bikes, then get the UCE for a daily rider when it gets here in two years or so. Even if you didn't want to end up with two bikes, there is a good chance that those last 25 are going to increase in value and could help fund your UCE (and let you ride while waiting).

doomed1

• The Pirate King
  • Bulleteer
Reply #8 on: June 30, 2008, 01:18:53 am
Rather than wait, you should get in on one of the last 25 iron barrel bikes, then get the UCE for a daily rider when it gets here in two years or so. Even if you didn't want to end up with two bikes, there is a good chance that those last 25 are going to increase in value and could help fund your UCE (and let you ride while waiting).
you assume it's that easy for me to get one. as valuable as the iron barrel bikes may be in the future, i purchase for practicality, not for future investment. i'm interested in getting a bike that will last me as long as i need. the last time i banked on something being worth something in the future was Pokemon cards. that sure turned into a goldmine...

deejay

Reply #9 on: June 30, 2008, 06:56:16 pm
i purchase for practicality, not for future investment. i'm interested in getting a bike that will last me as long as i need. the last time i banked on something being worth something in the future was Pokemon cards. that sure turned into a goldmine...

Based on your posts, you may be better off getting a small old honda or something similar. Not to bash the RE, but Japanese bikes are on another level of of build quality. Have you looked for a used Kawasaki W650? Do a google search for em if you already haven't.

GreenMachine

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #10 on: July 01, 2008, 02:33:18 pm
Doom1: Pokeman card thing was funny..Cabbage patch dolls too....I have two bikes and cruise around with my o6 Iron for the pleasure that it brings...I've taken it as far as 50 miles one way and if I have any longer trips I take my Yamaha 1100...Difference in bikes in weight, HP, etc and where I'm going determines what I want to use...Of course its nice to have a garage with numerous machines to pick from (Wifes GV 250). I agree that if you are looking for really dependable transport on a daily basis it would be best to wait for the New Enfield...My understanding is its going to be Fuel Injected mated with the AVL engine and willl be using electronic ignition .
Also do you have a area to work on the bike???  Fluid changes alone are a bit fickle for these machines and a good assortment of wrenches/sockets will be needed....Take into fact that Enfield dealers are not always close to home and the  honda dealer that I took the bike in for inspection although fascinated doesn't seem interested in performing any maintenance on the bike ( Do I blame him) ....That being stated, it will require you to order  a book or two as well as reading the forum....The new UCE should appeal to you and will be an improvement on the maintenance aspect of the older Iron engines...I for one am happy with the 5 speed transmission and although I've never had a 4 speed, The purist will not argue that it was real pain at times especially with the left hand shift....Go with what your gut tells you and if says wait for the new bike..Be patient and wait..I'm sure you will really like it...Sounds like you want fun transport and not worrying about breaking down in the middle of the countryside, waiting for a pickup truck (assumimg u have access to that)...cheers
Oh Magoo you done it again

doomed1

• The Pirate King
  • Bulleteer
Reply #11 on: July 01, 2008, 09:25:22 pm
GreenMachine, thanks for the good reply. to be honest, the maintenance is more of a pro for me, simply because it requires me to know the bike inside and out. hopefully the prices don't go up too far on the '09 UCE model Bullet. my ceiling for it is $7k with a highway kit and trimmings, though it's really  just a transport an leisure bike with the occasional marathon. basically, the function my current bicycle fills on a smaller scale. hopefully, it comes out here sooner than later. BTW, does anyone know about the month these bikes will make it to US shores?