Author Topic: Question from Russia. Yes, with love. :)  (Read 1958 times)

Roman Lev

• Neophyte
on: August 31, 2013, 11:20:26 am
Hello friends, I am pleased to welcome you here! My name is Roman and I live in the city of Rostov-on-Don in Russia . I know it's very far away, but I want to buy RE, and in Russia it is very rare bike and there is absolutely no any information about him. I would be very happy if you can find the time and the opportunity to answer some of my questions .
A little about me : I am 36 years old and I now drive a Suzuki Boulevard C50 2005 release. This is a good and reliable bike , which I have no problems , but it is very boring. He does not stand out from the rest of Japanese motorcycles , which in Russia is more likely ( not counting the old Russian motorcycles, but they are now almost not made .) I want to buy a motorcycle in a classic style. Sure, I can buy a Ural, but I do not like it , and too many of them . I saw the RE on the photos and I realized this is what I want most ! I love RE Desert Storm. New we have is $ 9200 . Unfortunately I do not have the opportunity to ride on the bike , as they have to do, and the dealer is far away from me. I have yet to learn about this bike before I come to the dealer with the money to buy it. I was most concerned with questions such as:
1. How reliable is the new fuel-injected engine with RE ? I'm not very good with her hands , I can only change the oil , filters and change the wheel yourself . I'm worried about how often will break a motorcycle? Can I fix it myself ?
2 . Is there any online instructions, so I can independently change any details , if you had a motorcycle breaks?
3 . Are the online store spare parts and consumables on the bike and that there is wide range ( such as eBay)? I understand that, for example tire is quite difficult to find ?
4 . What elements of the motorcycle initially low quality , and whether to change something immediately after purchase ? Perhaps the chain ? Perhaps the tire ? Maybe something else?
I will be very glad to any answers and advice. Thank you all in advance and sorry to distract you.

wildbill

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: August 31, 2013, 02:12:37 pm
you will find the uce a pretty good bike to own - as most members know i've had 3 s there not too bad.this forum will be your best friend or pretty close to it. my advice to you as do what i did 18 months back.
go back 50 pages and read all threads. this will give you a very good idea on problem areas and you will learn a lot in a very short time.
only one thing to do from the very beginning-buy a good chain!!!! enjoy the ride
now other members can carry on in detail

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Ride In Paradise Cabo, Don and Ernie
Reply #2 on: August 31, 2013, 07:38:50 pm
 Приве́т Roman Lev and welcome aboard.

Wild bill is spot on  :)

I will add;  the EFI system of the Bullet is made by Keihin of Japan,,very tough and very reliable. It is built and programed to work at altitudes from 423 meters below sea level to  5,600 meters above sea level. ( Dead Sea to Khardung La ) More importantly, it has been tested at both places.
I forget how cold it was tested but remember that it was hot tested at 62 C. :o

No computer is needed to repair the EFI if it ever gave a problem. Basic multi meter is all you need.

Electric start motor is from Denso of Japan. Front Disk Brake is made by a subsidiary of Brembo. Hydraulic tappets and gaskets are from U.S.A.

No matter where you go, there, you are.

ROVERMAN

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: August 31, 2013, 07:56:27 pm
Welcome to the forum Roman Lev, more the merrier!
Robert.

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: August 31, 2013, 07:59:23 pm
The bikes are very reliable and easy to service. When you get one, get some Loctite or similar bolt fixing product and go over all the nuts and bolts including the three little ones on the heat shield, and fuel tank bolts are very prone to loosening up. Actually as an alternative to Loctite, 3M Weatherstrip Adhesive works very well at this task, too. The bikes vibrate quite a bit when new and parts have been known to disappear. The vibration gets a lot better after a few hundred miles and a good chain is put on. After that just ride the bike in a normal manner. Don't try to make any speed records.
Ignore the breakin procedure in the owners handbook. That was written for the old Iron Barrel bikes and is not applicable to the UCEs. 
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

Bulletman

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2011 - C5 Classic Black
Reply #5 on: August 31, 2013, 08:16:53 pm
Welcome to the forum....as mentioned above by the forum members..this forum will be your best friend and you will learn a lot from here....
The RE is and has been a very reliable bike for me..like all bikes it does have its quirks..but nothing that cannot be fixed easily by yourself...
Enjoy and safe riding.
"A Blast from my Past"
Black C5 2011

shamelin

• Bulleteer
Reply #6 on: August 31, 2013, 09:49:18 pm
Welcome to the forum, Roman.  Here's my two cents regarding the Enfield UCE:

1. If you can change the oil , filters and wheel then you'll be able to fix almost any issue with the UCE.  My 2011 B5 was the first motorcycle I'd ever owned, and I would not have described myself as a mechanically skilled person when I bought it.  But it's been said that the Enfield will make a mechanic out of a man.  The statement is less true about the UCE, but with all the helpful advice on this forum, you'll probably be able to maintain your bike as good or better than any shop.  As far as reliability, I've had no issues with the engine.  My problems have been electrical (battery cables, blown fuses) and related to bolts falling off.  All of the problems were easy/moderately easy to fix, and I haven't taken her to a bike shop yet.  I've ridden the bike at 70+ mph, taken it for a 1000 mile ride across the country, and been stuck in city traffic with the temp 100F+ without even minor mechanical issues.  I've got about 10,000 miles on it and would certainly buy it again.  It's the most fun I've ever had on two wheels.
2 . There are several places to get online repair instructions.  This forum is one of the best.  You can find a UCE workshop manual floating around in pdf format, and Pete Sindal has a CD-ROM manual he put together.  I haven't needed anything but the advice I've learned here.
3 . There are several online parts stores for RE.  Nfieldgear.com sponsors this site, so I will mention them first.  Their customer service can be a little lacking, so I'll also mention Hitchock's Motocycles out of England.  I usually buy my parts from them.  Ebay has several vendors that sell parts; I've used Bulletwalla in the past and have been happy.
4 . I would say the chain is the UCE's weak link (pardon the pun).  A nice o-ring replacement chain is a great first project.  Other things I did include upgrading the front sprocket to a 19 tooth, buying a 7" headlight, get a gel battery, and swap some of the other standard bulbs for LEDs.  Tire upgrades are nice.  Other upgrades that are frequently discussed here include Hagon rear shocks, exhaust upgrades, and new saddles.  There are dozens of threads devoted to each upgrade topic, so you can decide which ones you want to do, and then have great info on how to do it yourself.

Be prepared to talk to a lot of people if you buy the Enfield.  Almost every time I go out, someone wants to talk to me about the bike.  Old Brits, people who's dad's rode Enfields, fans of the retro look, and people who just like different bikes all stop to chat.  It's pretty cool.

Roman Lev

• Neophyte
Reply #7 on: August 31, 2013, 10:48:50 pm
Thank you all for your answers, I am very glad to see such a positive attitude towards new players, I really appreciate it. I will carefully study this forum and sell their Suzuki still hoping to ride a RE this year.
It appears in my town, I'll be the first who will buy RE (in population 1 million inhabitants).
Another question is how people react when they heard that the bike is made in India? Still, their industry is quite biased.

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Ride In Paradise Cabo, Don and Ernie
Reply #8 on: August 31, 2013, 11:47:10 pm
Another question is how people react when they heard that the bike is made in India? Still, their industry is quite biased.

Show them this  ;)
 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P0yoxmQFfjc
No matter where you go, there, you are.

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #9 on: September 01, 2013, 01:56:34 am
Welcome to the forum Roman. :)
When you go to your dealer, if you decide to buy the Royal Enfield be sure to buy at least 3 oil filters.
That will be enough for at least 12,000 kilometers of riding before you will need another one for the 12K km oil change.

I also feel you wouldn't be happy with a 350cc model.  Go for the 500cc Royal Enfield. :)

As for the motorcycle being made in India, there are a lot of people here in the U.S. that also are biased against them when it comes to manufacturing.  I even had some doubts before I bought my 500cc 2011RE.
With the exception of the rear drive chain, which wore faster than it should I have decided they got the new fuel injected models absolutely right.
In 11,200 miles (18,065 km) of riding it has never left me stranded, it starts easily and I throughly trust it to take me anywhere.
It runs on low octane fuel (not diesel) and delivers over 30 km/ltr of fuel.

The fuel injected RE's only weakness is its inability to go faster than 80 mph (130 km/hr).
In the U.S., that limits the number of high speed roads I can ride on because most of the cars and trucks are going faster than that.
All is not lost though.  By taking the slower, less used roads I see more beautiful sights at slower, safer speeds and meet more interesting people. :)
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

MrMike

• Bulleteer
  • ASA Lives!
Reply #10 on: September 03, 2013, 04:29:19 am
Hello Roman

I am new to the forum and Enfields also.  Have just gone over 1,000 miles on my 2011 G5 with sidecar and have had no problems with the bike. Had a few problems getting the sidecar set up correctly.  The UCE engine is very good, but not fast.  I have had no problems with the chain.  My wife now wants to get a license to operate a motorcycle and I would highly recommend the Enfield to her.
2011 G5 Deluxe w/Kozi Rocket
2009 V-Star 950 Tourer w/Velorex 562
1999 Honda VT 1100 T w/Dauntless Tandem