Author Topic: new to the enfield life  (Read 7870 times)

crush02342002

• Bulleteer
on: August 31, 2013, 03:24:45 am
Thought I would introduce myself.. Names Chris and im an alcoholic..lol. Anyways I just purchased my c5 yesterday and loving the ride. Iv heard sooo many things about Royal Enfield and most were true, especially when it comes to the looks you get. I got 10 miles from the dealership and I get the old thumbs up from a guy in the right lane. Even took it to work, everyone stopped working (even the big boss), surrounded me and the bike asking questions. Good times!
Though it is a little bitter sweet, 100 miles in and iv got 3 problems, maybe you guys can help me out with. Iv got an oil leak by the kick starter, one parking/pilot light out, and the kick stand switch is screwy cause sometimes I can't start the bike with the stand up unless I nudge it a bit with my heal until the micro switch closes. The dealership is ordering the parts and taking care of me so not a big deal. just wondering if anyone has come across this kinda stuff on their bikes and what needed to happen to fix the issue.
Anyways this isn't my first bike nor my second for that matter lol. Iv owned an 06 ninja 250 (first bike), 2013 Ducati Monster 796 (still have, kinda weekend bike), and now the Bullet.
(few bike pics)

wildbill

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: August 31, 2013, 05:27:22 am
1. if its just below the front drive cog the oil might be just chain lube.mines new and its there too
2. might have to just move it about and if that doesn't work change the bulb
3. looks like you will be disconnecting the side stand switch. these are documented through out the forum as a problem area.  just follow the sidestand up and you will see where wires join. pull apart and tape to the body

heloego

• A 2x4. My kingdom for a 2x4!
  • Grand Gearhead
  • USA '12 C5, '06 ElectraX
Reply #2 on: August 31, 2013, 05:27:58 am
Welcome to the club, bro! And congrats on your purchase!
I have a 2012 C5 with just over 1k miles on the clock.

1. The kickstand switch is almost always a pain, unless you modify the mounting hole by rounding it out some. Maybe a drop of grease on the switch plunger will help, but many of us just disconnected or removed the damned thing.
2. Are you certain the kick start shaft seal is leaking? I thought the same, but cleaned, then monitored it and it was actually just grease slung from the chain at the sprocket.
3. Have the dealer replace your light, if it's burned out. But you may want to check the wiring behind the headlight first. They've really cleaned up the rat's nest behind it, but yours may be one of the
"leftovers". Could be nothing more than a loose wire.
'18 Bonneville T-100, Blue/White
'12 C5 Classic
'06 Electra X AVL w/32mm Mikuni and Gold Star system.

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #3 on: August 31, 2013, 06:42:54 am
Welcome to the forum. :)

The others pretty much covered the answers to your problems.
To replace the "eyes" remove the chrome ring screw and the ring.  Roll the rubber back from the rim of the lens and you'll be looking at the bulb.  The Indians haven't quite got making good bulbs down yet so you may have to replace these with some better ones as time goes by.

Enjoy your RE and keep it rubber side down. :)
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

JVS

• Grand Gearhead
  • I love chicken
Reply #4 on: August 31, 2013, 08:17:12 am
Congrats on your new purchase. A good choice indeed. Lovely colour.  :D

I think any incandescent bulb (regardless of make/origin) will be affected by the vibrations produced on a single 500, so you will be changing quite a few of those pilot light bulbs over time. In the future you can opt for LEDs in those tiger eyes, there are a few topics regarding these LEDs on our forum. You can have a read through them  :D

And as others have mentioned, the 'leak' is most likely the chain lube. That is the main area the residue builds up and at first glance looks like an oil leak. But it is not. Nothing to worry. To be reassured, just smudge the 'leak' with your finger and you'll realise that it's just chain lube. An oil leak would be more thin/less viscous as compared to the chain lube.

Have fun and ride safe!
Sons continuing wars, our fathers were enemies

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #5 on: August 31, 2013, 10:34:14 am
Kevin Mahoney, who runs Classic Motor Works (your bike's importer) recently gave some pretty clear instructions for what to do to adjust your side stand switch to rectify its problem.  If you want to keep that switch working, maybe you could suggest to your dealer that he contact CMW for just what needs to be done?

Or, spend some time perusing and searching through the forum for the details - you'll learn a lot, and we won't have to hassle Bare about another LED conversion question...  ;)

crush02342002

• Bulleteer
Reply #6 on: August 31, 2013, 01:42:51 pm
thanks guys for the input. Though im afraid the leak isn't chain lube...it feels like 10w30 (just an example). I do see the spots that chain lube has flung off and it is different in viscosity to the leak. I wiped the area down just to make sure it wasn't from someone (dealership) being careless when filling the bike with oil and missed that area when wiping it down. sure enough after another 100 miles the puddle was back (prolly only 4-6 drops of oil). It doesn't seem to leak just sitting there only when riding. I tried out the kick starter just to see if maybe the seal just hasn't seated yet, so I gave it a few kicks just to see what happens. It still leaks so that's why I took it in to the dealership. dealership said that it was the seal and they would replace it as soon as parts come in. In the mean time the leak isn't big enough to be dripping on the ground as long as I wipe down the area just below the leak so ill keep an eye on the oil level and ride her to work.

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #7 on: August 31, 2013, 08:25:06 pm
You guys keep picking on me about LEDs. LEDs are great.I put them everywhere I could on my bike and loved them. You can actually see the turn signal indicators and neutral light in the day light! And the taillights are great. I recommend them to everybody. Just take the old ones out and put the LEDs in...Except for the turn signals bulbs.
All I ever said as leave the incandescents in the turn signals stalks as they weren't worth the hassle it takes to make them work!
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

ROVERMAN

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #8 on: August 31, 2013, 09:53:55 pm
Alright Bare settle down! ;D ;D ;D ;D

Bulletman

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2011 - C5 Classic Black
Reply #9 on: August 31, 2013, 10:42:12 pm
 :D welcome to the forum...small issues that will get fixed quickly..glad you Cheetos keep riding instead of leaving it at the dealership..
And as you will soon be able to tell
" Barenekd"is the resident guru for LEDs... ;D
"A Blast from my Past"
Black C5 2011

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #10 on: August 31, 2013, 11:43:30 pm
Bare - the joke is, you've had to say it about a million times!  To your credit, I don't think you've ever prefaced your advice with "I've told you all about a million times..."  :)

crush02342002

• Bulleteer
Reply #11 on: September 01, 2013, 12:59:29 am
lol...good times!
I would like to swap out the low fuel light to something brighter at the very least.

Had an awesome ride today, just kinda picked a direction and went for it. Next thing I knew I was close to my old neighborhood I haven't seen in 20 years, so I turned off the main road. Cruised by my old house and got flagged down by this guy on the corner of my old street. Guy said two words "nice bike" before I realized this guy was my old childhood friend. We shot the breeze for about 30min talking about the old days and who is doing what. Got to say this ride ranks up there as one of the best, rode home with a permagrin.

Tigujan

• Scooter
Reply #12 on: September 02, 2013, 04:24:13 pm
You guys keep picking on me about LEDs. LEDs are great.I put them everywhere I could on my bike and loved them. You can actually see the turn signal indicators and neutral light in the day light! And the taillights are great. I recommend them to everybody. Just take the old ones out and put the LEDs in...Except for the turn signals bulbs.
All I ever said as leave the incandescents in the turn signals stalks as they weren't worth the hassle it takes to make them work!
Bare
This is the motor oil coming out of the breather true the breather hose into the air filter box and finally dripping out of the air filter box on your chain and is flying from the chain by the sprocket

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #13 on: September 03, 2013, 01:32:37 am
I would like to swap out the low fuel light to something brighter at the very least.

LEDs. Replace all the lights in the casquette with them, except the headlight. You will be able to see them all then. Part numbers and source are in the earlier posts in this thread.
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer

Candoman

• Scooter
Reply #14 on: September 04, 2013, 03:15:09 am
I just purchased my C5 this past week and with 135 miles on it, the malfunction light came on and it started to run so poorly that I thought I may have to push it home. I also noticed oil coming from somewhere around the valve covers and blowing back onto the battery box. Can't ride it the way it is, called the dealer and they said they would come and pick it up. Day later, and it's still sitting in the garage. Will be interesting to see how this goes.
2012 Royal Enfield C5 Chrome
2009 Yamaha Zuma 125
2006 Suzuki Burgman 650

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Ride In Paradise Cabo, Don and Ernie
Reply #15 on: September 04, 2013, 04:56:47 am
Hi Candoman and welcome aboard.

Let us know how this pans out for you.
No matter where you go, there, you are.

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #16 on: September 05, 2013, 12:12:27 am
Welcome!

Love that pic of the red RE.  Man!  Do these things shine when they're new.  Or if someone washes them.  ::)

Scott

crush02342002

• Bulleteer
Reply #17 on: September 05, 2013, 12:21:14 am
first thing I did was clean it and wax it...lol
It was the last 2012 on the dealership floor and had been sitting there collecting dust.

crush02342002

• Bulleteer
Reply #18 on: September 05, 2013, 12:23:03 am
I just purchased my C5 this past week and with 135 miles on it, the malfunction light came on and it started to run so poorly that I thought I may have to push it home. I also noticed oil coming from somewhere around the valve covers and blowing back onto the battery box. Can't ride it the way it is, called the dealer and they said they would come and pick it up. Day later, and it's still sitting in the garage. Will be interesting to see how this goes.

I wonder if the bike sucked down enough oil that it fouled the spark plug...hope everything works out for you.

wildbill

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #19 on: September 05, 2013, 01:37:22 am
i had a problem like that once. turned out the battery lead had come loose voltage drop and lost power

Candoman

• Scooter
Reply #20 on: September 05, 2013, 09:28:54 pm
Well my 2012 C5 is still sitting in the garage a week after requesting help from the dealer who sold it to me. I checked the battery and it's fine.  The bike starts, but the malfunction light comes on and stays on, while the bike runs like a twin on one cylinder, rough. Don't ask me what it feels like to lay down nearly 6 grand and have a new bike you can't ride. :'( The dealer is 75 miles away or I'd push it there myself and possibly leave it there for good.
2009 Yamaha Zuma 125
2006 Suzuki Burgman 650

GreenMachine

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #21 on: September 05, 2013, 10:03:30 pm
Candoman: Do you know if the dealer checked the bike out before picking it up?  Did u drive it from the dealer to your residence? From what you are suggesting it seems to fire every other power stroke. Does the malfunction light come on immediately? Have you  disconnected the battery to see if it clears?  It's under warranty,  as much as  PIA they'll have to sort it out for you..Don't be discouraged yet, at least its not leaking fuel 250 miles from home..
Oh Magoo you done it again

crush02342002

• Bulleteer
Reply #22 on: September 05, 2013, 10:07:29 pm
Well my 2012 C5 is still sitting in the garage a week after requesting help from the dealer who sold it to me. I checked the battery and it's fine.  The bike starts, but the malfunction light comes on and stays on, while the bike runs like a twin on one cylinder, rough. Don't ask me what it feels like to lay down nearly 6 grand and have a new bike you can't ride. :'( The dealer is 75 miles away or I'd push it there myself and possibly leave it there for good.

Believe it or not I know exactly how that feels...I have hope for you it will work out for you as it did for me. Good luck brethren

D the D

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #23 on: September 05, 2013, 10:11:15 pm
Maybe PM Kevin Mahoney and see if he can light a fire under them for you.  I'm sure he doesn't like people complaining about lack of service by dealerships on his forum.
'07 Iron Barrel Military (Deceased 14 September, 2013)
2014 Yamaha Bolt R Spec V-Twin
1975 XLCH

Candoman

• Scooter
Reply #24 on: September 05, 2013, 11:54:17 pm
I bought the bike with 57 miles on it, I rode it 75 more miles home. I never pushed the bike, rode it like a little scooter. When I got it home I noticed some oil on the cases and blowback on the battery box. Cleaned it up and rode it about 10 miles the next day when the malfunction light came on and it started running poorly.  I've since restarted it and the light comes immediately and stays on. I removed the battery, had it tested and it checked out OK with 12.2 volts.
I called the dealer and he said he would pick up the bike, repair it and get me back on the road. I waited all day, no show.  I called him again the next day, same promise, again no show.  Its been a week now.  They are the only RE dealer within a reasonable distance and I feel I have to work with them until it is repaired.  At that time I will decide what to do with the bike.  Until such time it looks nice sitting there.
2009 Yamaha Zuma 125
2006 Suzuki Burgman 650

crush02342002

• Bulleteer
Reply #25 on: September 05, 2013, 11:55:04 pm
Did a round of oil changes on both my bikes today. That was fun, well would have been fun if it wasn't 100f around here :-\ .
The morning started pretty good, I jumped on my Ducati and rode out 74 miles to the dealership I got the c5 at to get some oil filters. Well they only had one left so I didn't hesitate to snatch it up and ask them to order 4 extra in their next order for me. At least I can get my first oil change done. I asked about the parts to fix the oil leak on the c5 but of course they didn't have them in yet, not a big problem as I think the leak slowed even further. maybe the seal is just starting to wear in, not real sure.
So I hop back on the Duc and away I go, next thing I know I hit traffic at a dead stop. I'm now baking in full gear in temps rising to probably 97f and we are moving at the speed of smell. Eventually we get to moving faster which by this time the check engine light comes on, I'm not too worried about that one either as its most likely the exhaust valve motor acting up again. It wont do any harm but the Ducati is still under warranty so I went ahead and pulled into my Ducati dealership near my house. I walk in and see the sales guy Brandon who sold me the bike, I stopped and talked to him for a few min. I told him I was back again to check what the code was on my monster and he walked with me to the service department. Of course behind the counter is the douche of the service department just ready to make my day complete. Last time I was in there this guy charged me $60 to read the code and to make an adjustment to the exhaust valve cable. Just my opinion but that should have been covered under warranty. This time I was ready for him, I told him right off that no work was to be done only read the code and clear the check engine light. Also let me know what the tech says if this is something that can wait to be fixed or if it needs to be done today. Bastard laughs at me and says the tech wont be able to tell what's wrong with it by reading the code. Guy thinks Im that stupid that ill swallow that hook, line and sinker. I own my own automotive shop for Christ sakes, I may not be able to tell exactly to a T whats wrong by reading codes but iv got a damn good idea, 99% of the time im correct. I suddenly had visions of pulling the guy over the counter and braining him with my new helmet. I kept calm and smiled, handed him the key. I browsed around the place for some oil and filter for the Ducati and found what I was looking for, paid for it at the parts counter. As the parts guy handed me the receipt here comes the service tech that's working on my bike complaining that the Douche at the service counter insists he look up prices for parts even though this stuff is warranty work. I turned to the tech and asked if he was working on my Ducati, he said that he was and talked to me about what the code was and that it was all covered under warranty. I already knew all this but its nice to have some sort of confirmation. He finished doing what he was doing and headed back to the service department. Not long after the service d-bag shows up and says I will need to pay 300+ to have my bike fixed, I told him that im sure its covered under warranty. He tells me that he isn't sure about that but even if it is covered that ill have to leave my bike with them until parts arrive in order for them to warranty it. Jackass didn't know I live around the corner and if need be ill walk home before paying that. So I told him that "I guess ill leave it then" much to his surprise. He excused himself and walked back to the service department as Brandon my sales guy walked back up. I told Brandon the crap this guy was trying to pull as Brandon gave me a "you've got to be shitting me" look. Just as I finished telling Brandon the story the service douche calls for me and hands me my key. He says that everything is taken care of and parts will be in next week. I nod my head and said thank you politely. I got out of there as quick as I could before he could come up with some idea to charge me.
Well finally I get home and start work immediately, drained both bikes and worked on getting the bullets oil screen out from the bottom. Just as advertised it came complete with a rug wrapped around it...lmao. In all my years in the automotive industry I have never seen that, I thought of that as just extra filtration. haha.   

gremlin

• Grand Gearhead
  • "Do one thing each day that scares you"
Reply #26 on: September 08, 2013, 05:43:40 pm
..........the bullets oil screen ....... as advertised it came complete with a rug wrapped around it............

The little gremlin that controls your gears loses his turban before the first oil change ....
1996 Trophy 1200
2009 Hyosung GV250
2011 RE B5

wildbill

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #27 on: September 09, 2013, 12:14:30 am
did you do a code check. might be as simple as a wire not connected properly. this happened to me once when the tps connecter was not a snug fit.

crush02342002

• Bulleteer
Reply #28 on: September 09, 2013, 02:49:59 am
The little gremlin that controls your gears loses his turban before the first oil change ....

Cant figure out if that's racist or not...lmao :P

crush02342002

• Bulleteer
Reply #29 on: September 13, 2013, 12:28:55 am
got a call yesterday that parts were in at the dealership, not sure if I need those parts anymore ;D. While I was installing my custom seat I checked for that oil leak and it was gone. I have been using the kickstarter lately and I think the seal just needed to be broken in. As far as the kickstand switch I just unplugged it as suggested, no problems there. Found the correct size bulb for the pilot/tiger/parking lights and got those installed. Trying to decide whether or not to even take the bike in, though I do need to pick up the oil filters I ordered. 

JVS

• Grand Gearhead
  • I love chicken
Reply #30 on: September 13, 2013, 01:19:34 am
While I was installing my custom seat I checked for that oil leak and it was gone.

Awesome.  :)
Sons continuing wars, our fathers were enemies

crush02342002

• Bulleteer
Reply #31 on: September 13, 2013, 02:41:04 am
indeed  :D

crush02342002

• Bulleteer
Reply #32 on: December 22, 2013, 12:29:09 am
Like I had mentioned in another thread I took a nice long trip from Houston, Tx to Dallas, Tx. That's roughly 240 mile trip or 386.24 Kilometers to the rest of yall. That's of course one way, I didn't think this through...lol.. I made a few mistakes that just compiled and making the experience...well just read on.

The idea was simple, con a friend into a long day trip to gas monkey garage, eat at the gas monkey bar and grill, and ride back home. What could go wrong :-[
Now I could take my Ducati but I thought the Bullet would be more fitting considering how well it starts conversations. After all Iv heard of plenty of people taking their RE's on long trips.
Not a bad idea in of itself, its what followed.
I meet my buddy at my house around 8am, Iv already prepped the bike and cleaned her. Packed my gear in my back pack and gassed up. We roll out to the nearest gas station cause he wanted to top off his tank and I needed a redbull. We pull out and right away my bike doesn't sound right, it seems louder. Cant quit figure out what it is so to be safe I flag my buddy over and we find a spot to pull in. Once stopped I can tell its got to be exhaust. I leave the bike running and put her up on the center stand, sure enough the header pipe nuts have backed off. I dig through my back pack looking for my ratchet set, "sonofa" I left that bastard on my workbench. So I pop open the tool box and dump out the pouch on the ground like golem trying to find his precious.

crush02342002

• Bulleteer
Reply #33 on: December 22, 2013, 12:30:36 am
{btw the more I type per post the more lag I get, not sure why but ill have to tell the story in several posts}

Royalista

• phaneropter
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #34 on: December 22, 2013, 12:47:11 am
Don't sweat it. I'm already hooked.  :D
moriunt omnes pauci vivunt

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #35 on: December 22, 2013, 12:49:37 am
It'll be like an old newspaper serial...

crush02342002

• Bulleteer
Reply #36 on: December 22, 2013, 12:51:27 am
Luckily my buddy had a leatherman so I could atleast get the nuts somewhat tight enough to make it to an autozone. Pulled into the closest autozone and I scramble trying to find a 12mm socket and ratchet. I locate what I need and hop to the register, pay for the tools and out the door. Got the nuts as tight as I could get without doing harm and start her up on the center stand. Still have a leak but not as bad as before, give her a couple of revs and notice the gas tank rattling around. So back in the store for a 14mm socket..lol
I get all that sorted and we are off again. 20 miles into the ride and my heart sinks as the speed limit is now 75 miles per hour. I completely forgot about that so to keep up and not get run the hell over Im almost full throttle. Im too committed to this ride to pull out so I soldier on (second mistake, first mistake was not making sure I packed my tools). Soon I notice my the needle on my speedo is bouncing all over the place, great now I'm not sure how fast im going. Oh well im sure even at full throttle I wont be breaking the law by much...lol
I laugh it off as the needle hits 100, I stop laughing when the low fuel light is flickering. I pull into a gas station knowing that it isn't time for fuel but wondering if I now have a fuel leak.

crush02342002

• Bulleteer
Reply #37 on: December 22, 2013, 01:06:18 am
Pull up to the pump and pop the cap. Its still almost full, what the hell is going on. I go ahead and top of the tank anyway. Hop off the bike and inspect for any leaks just in case. No leaks, no sweat. Hop back on and away we go. Low fuel light I notice flickers at a certain rpm. Ill just sort that out when I get home, for now ill just try to go by mileage.
We get ever closer to our destination and no other problems. One more stop for fuel and that should get me there, oh and inspect the bike again.
No problems with traffic as we pull into Dallas, thank god as my ass is screaming at this point. GPS takes us right to Gas Monkey Garage without a problem. We pull in and immediately we see the short haired blond girl and Richard's sister standing outside the front door.

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #38 on: December 22, 2013, 01:12:27 am
Sounds all normal so far...

;D

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #39 on: December 22, 2013, 01:14:48 am
say hi to Richard and Aaron.  I love that show.

Scott

crush02342002

• Bulleteer
Reply #40 on: December 22, 2013, 01:18:53 am
They walk back in as we hop off the bikes and pull out our cell. Damn, no pic. Oh well the gas monkey swag van is parked in the front so we take some pics of it with us standing by it. I look across the fenced in area and see Richard talking to a customer but no cameras around. He is too far away to get a cell phone pic, damn, damn. Next thing I know there are a bunch of "suits" congregating in the drive and I hear some lady ask them if they are from The Discovery Channel. A couple of them nod their heads as one of the mechanics from gmg is trying to pull into the drive in his black s-10. I snap a quick pick of him and see he is getting irritated at the "discovery gathering" blocking his entrance. I hear him cursing them, just loud enough for me to hear it but not for the suits to hear. They finally go in the front door of the shop and the mechanic pulls by giving us a little wave and a "hows it going".

crush02342002

• Bulleteer
Reply #41 on: December 22, 2013, 01:28:04 am
I walk into their small gift shop, now they don't have much, just a bunch of t-shirts and hoodies. So I grab a long sleeve shirt for me and a small shirt that says "my monkey made me do it" for my little girl. The Girl at the counter asks if we were from around their and I told her we came from Houston. She was a little surprised at that and offered a back massage for such a long trip....he he he... I told her "I might have to take you up on that offer", it really sounded good considering the ride...lol
I pay and try to get the courage up enough to hop on the bike, my butt doesn't like that idea.

crush02342002

• Bulleteer
Reply #42 on: December 22, 2013, 01:42:49 am
Off we go to gas monkey bar and grill which isn't far at all from the shop. We turn into the drive and Discovery is filming there with a camera on a jib. They pan over towards us as we pass but I don't think they got us in the frame.
Hop off the bikes and in we go, place looks cool with all the car parts and rustic wood décor. Girls working there look a little corn fed but cute anyways. I sit down and order some burger I cant pronounce (third mistake). It tasted like a vinegar soaked burger, I hate vinegar. The fries were kick ass though and the onion rings were pretty good too. Oh well I make a meal of it anyways. My tank is topped off and we waddle out. Walk over to my bike and gear up for the ride home but as I putting my jacket on with a cigarette sticking out of my mouth the guys working the camera on the jib point it right at me and my buddy. (so if you see some guys standing next to their bikes, me wearing a black alpine stars jacket smoking a cig next to a maroon enfield on the next episode....well that's me...lol) 

Royalista

• phaneropter
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #43 on: December 22, 2013, 01:52:51 am
The cig will probably be censored out, I fear.
Will be on the outlook for a maroon bullet nonetheless.

crush02342002

• Bulleteer
Reply #44 on: December 22, 2013, 02:00:02 am
Again we mount up and roll to the nearest gas station for fuel. Fueled up and ready to go we pull out......traffic has just turned to shit. Finally break through and we are out of Dallas, I get as far as Ennis before I just got to pull over for a rest. Pull up to the pump, hop off and immediately search for my wallet..........uhhhh....no wallet.
This cant be happening, not now. My buddy confirms I had my wallet at the last stop. Now iv been wearing my Kevlar riding jeans (4th mistake) that are admittedly baggy as hell but they give me more roam for things like my heated pant liners and freeze out under pants for those really cold days. My wallet had to have slipped out of my back pocket as I was squirming on the seat in traffic. Im too far away to go on a hunt for it and we are running behind as my buddy has to get home in time to pick up his mother from the airport. He loans me a 50 spot (best decision bringing a good friend with ya) which is way more than enough to get me home. Top off the tank and again we are off.

crush02342002

• Bulleteer
Reply #45 on: December 22, 2013, 02:23:02 am
After roughly 100miles or so its bout time for another pit stop. Not a gas station in sight but Im not worried about that as I am this rattling Im hearing. Look down to see the tool box rattling all over the place. So Im holding this thing as best as I can with my leg to prevent it from falling off till we can make our stop. Thank god I see a gas station ahead and pull in, my buddy follows suit. I tell him to go ahead and take off as its getting late, he is still on a tight schedule and his Diavel can make better time without having to hang back for me.
Well time to get to work and see whats going on with this tool box. I pop the cover off and see two of the three bolts fell all the way out with the third hanging by a thread, I get the bolts threaded on finger tight and manipulate a 10mm wrench in there to tighten em up. I get those tight and look over to see the plastic cover for the starter flopped over and hanging by one of the wires by the starter.

crush02342002

• Bulleteer
Reply #46 on: December 22, 2013, 02:43:00 am
I chuck it in my back pack cause the bolt holding it is long gone. Toss some fuel in the tank and recheck all the bolts I can see. Its dark as hell now as I pull out and realize the back light for speedo is out, oh well not like I could tell how fast Im going anyways...lol (5th mistake, not getting leds).
Im approaching Huntsville and spot a rest stop so I go ahead and pull on over. Quick smoke break and a check of nuts and bolts, fuel looks good so I push forward. Im getting excited at this point as im not far from Houston. Now that the speed limit has lowered im getting nervous that I might be speeding so I tuck in behind a slow moving 18 wheeler for the rest of the stretch just to make sure im not speeding. Finally Im in Houston and in my neighborhood, pull into the drive and tuck her into her bed (garage). I limp my tired ass into the house and pass out with jacket still on, on my bed.
Lesson learned 1-pack proper tools 2-check speed limits before leaving so your not at full throttle rattling shit off the bike 3-dont order food you cant pronounce 4-keep wallet in a safer place 5-get damn LED's

crush02342002

• Bulleteer
Reply #47 on: December 22, 2013, 02:45:23 am
ill post up what pics I have in a min. got to upload to photobucket

crush02342002

• Bulleteer
Reply #48 on: December 22, 2013, 02:57:40 am
my buddy Carlos

The mechanic (its not Tom but the other heavy set guy you see on the show)

just a cool car leaving the garage

front door to the gift shop

swag van

and me

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #49 on: December 22, 2013, 05:08:34 am
The RE is great isn't it?

Just think about how boring your trip would have been on one of those classless Japanese bikes.

1. Started Bike and climbed aboard.  2 Got gas.  3. Got gas.  4. Got to the Gas Monkey and ate a crummy hamburger.  5. Returned home.  :(  Boring.

Oh.  Pull the rotating cable out of the speedometer drive and grease it.  If your lucky, it isn't too screwed up and the grease will fix it.  If your not lucky, install the spare speedometer drive cable you should have received with your bike.
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

heloego

• A 2x4. My kingdom for a 2x4!
  • Grand Gearhead
  • USA '12 C5, '06 ElectraX
Reply #50 on: December 22, 2013, 03:03:47 pm
Great story. Loved the installments, even if unintended.  ;)
Blue Lock-Tite.
'18 Bonneville T-100, Blue/White
'12 C5 Classic
'06 Electra X AVL w/32mm Mikuni and Gold Star system.

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #51 on: December 22, 2013, 03:52:15 pm
Blue Loctite is your friend! Put it on everything, especially the tank bolts and exhaust nuts, and  the little screws that hold the heat shield on, if you still have it on the bike. Once you get that on there, things falling off will be history! Good story!
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer

Royalista

• phaneropter
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #52 on: December 22, 2013, 10:29:57 pm
Cool ride, great story.  8)

crush02342002

• Bulleteer
Reply #53 on: December 23, 2013, 03:05:58 am
thanks guys, and oh yeah iv got a couple of tubes of blue locktight gel. I prefer the gel, easy prep

AussieDave

• Grand Gearhead
  • How does this thing work?..Ouch..oh..
Reply #54 on: December 23, 2013, 03:47:03 pm
Great story ! Next time can you include pics of the girls?
"Glorious,stirring sight! The poetry of motion! The real way to travel! The only way to travel! ... O bliss ! O poop poop ! Oh my! Oh my!" - Toad of Toad Hall.

crush02342002

• Bulleteer
Reply #55 on: December 24, 2013, 02:01:56 am
ill remember that ;)