Author Topic: E-Bike developments  (Read 109018 times)

Richard230

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1515 on: March 27, 2024, 01:18:08 pm
My local radio news station this morning reported that the Marin County (one of the wealthiest areas in California) police are complaining that parents are buying their children and teenagers "electric motorcycles" instead of bicycles. The children then go zipping around at 30 to 40 mph terrorizing neighborhoods. Needless to say, they don't have a license to ride them because they are not old enough. The cops are begging the county's parents to not buy these vehicles for their kids as they are dangerous and the kids don't have the skills or knowledge to ride them in traffic. (I guess they are making this request because enforcement to control this activity is too difficult for the cops and they don't want to try chasing the kids around neighborhood streets, bike paths and off-road trails.)

My neighbor bought one of these Class 3+ electric bicycles for his pre-teen boy. That thing really zips along and will pull up the hill in front of my home at 35 mph while carrying a passenger. (My Aniioki ebike chugs up the hill at only 8 mph, but it is much heavier.)
2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM Duke 390, 2002 Yamaha FZ1

AzCal Retred

• Chennai Wrencher
  • Grand Gearhead
  • a journey of a thousand li starts under one's feet
Reply #1516 on: March 27, 2024, 03:27:50 pm
One child rearing strategy involves buying pricey stuff for your child so they will quit bothering you. Putting an 8 year old on a powered vehicle in traffic is poor parenting. I've seen many weekend warriors buy 50-60cc MX and small quads for their small children who promptly began riding them around the heavily trafficked pit areas on race day. Children have poor reasoning skills involving motorized vehicles but on the upside they heal fast.

In my travels the upscale area speed limits are generally higher street-for-street than for where the proles live. Perhaps the parents are secretly hoping for a big settlement when that Ferrari driven by an "I'm late for the meeting" coke-infused lawyer tags WFO Brittany or Benjamin blowing through an intersection. I'm sure the resulting large cash infusion will assuage their grief. "Sorry son, but you have to take a hit for the team..."

A trifecta of Pre-Unit Bullets: a Red Deluxe 500, a Green Standard 500, and a Black ES 350.

Richard230

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1517 on: March 27, 2024, 09:21:39 pm
You make some good points.

Leofric

• Grand Gearhead
  • UK
Reply #1518 on: March 28, 2024, 01:07:45 pm
Electric bicycles are restricted to a maximum 15 mph speed here. (That isn't electric motorcycles obviously )

Richard230

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1519 on: March 28, 2024, 08:28:44 pm
Electric bicycles are restricted to a maximum 15 mph speed here. (That isn't electric motorcycles obviously )

Every state is different. In California electric bicycles are class 1, 2 and 3, with 3 being the fastest version, allowing you to go up to 26 mph (as I recall), however there are plenty of electric bicycles that you can buy that will go much faster.

axman88

• Grand Gearhead
  • Vintage Motorcycle Fan
Reply #1520 on: March 28, 2024, 09:16:15 pm
Every state is different. In California electric bicycles are class 1, 2 and 3, with 3 being the fastest version, allowing you to go up to 26 mph (as I recall), however there are plenty of electric bicycles that you can buy that will go much faster.
It's 28 mph for Class 3, 20mph for Class 1 & 2, with differences in HOW the power is made available.

The US federal Consumer products definition that was set up over 20 years ago has done a lot towards standardizing requirements nationally. 
https://raevbikes.com/pages/e-bike-laws#:~:text=Under%20the%20US%20Consumer%20Product,only%20by%20the%20electric%20motor.
https://www.federalregister.gov/documents/2003/02/12/03-3423/requirements-for-low-speed-electric-bicycles

I think this was a huge factor in helping the industry move forward, since they could standardize on components that could be sold in multiple markets.

One thing that I personally find interesting, is that, there is currently a bit of what I'd consider a loophole, in that manufacturers can use the CONTROLLER to limit power and speed.  Many are fitting MUCH more powerful motors than the 750 watt max. that is allowed by the legalese.  Like this motorcycle styled bike that has a 2.0kW motor attached:  https://www.coswheelebike.com/products/ct20s-ebike

I've read several accounts and seen videos wherein the factory programmed limits can be removed by finding a firmware hack and loading this into the controller.  Presto!, and the bike is now capable of 40+ mph.  Anticipating the eventual closure of this "loophole" after somebody's kid does an unsuccessful Evel Knievel into cross traffic, has me thinking I should buy a machine NOW.   But the performance / price ratio keeps getting better, every time I look, so I continue to hold off.

I get the impression that our Euro brothers aren't getting access to anything like the same experience.  Their market seems to be filled with much lighter machines with much more modestly sized motors, designed for street commuting, not off-road hooliganism, and built to meet their 25 kph limit.

If you want to go faster, grab a license plate and hop on your new "Speed Bike"!   https://www.autoevolution.com/news/friday-27-is-the-fastest-legal-e-bike-in-europe-you-need-a-license-to-ride-one-218100.html#:~:text=Or%20you%20can%20make%20the,25%20kph%20or%2015.5%20mph.

Richard230

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1521 on: March 28, 2024, 09:53:29 pm
This guy races his Sur Ron electric bicycle against 600cc ICE motorcycles. Needless to say he has made a few modifications to get to go faster than the factory settings: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nfOi303vKZE&t=38s

Richard230

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1522 on: Today at 02:22:08 pm
Fast Marin County E-bikes were back in the local (KCBS) radio news again yesterday. Marin is now focusing on three high schools where the teenagers are riding to the schools on fast electric bicycles/motorcycles (meanwhile terrorizing the local communities?). They want all of the ebikes to be registered with the schools and inspected for safety. They are also considering some other requirements, but I can't recall what they are. Now the county supervisor who is stirring the pot (and getting the press exposure) says that she is talking directly with the Consumer Product Safety Commission to see what they can do to reign in the proliferation of these dangerous vehicles and make them safer.

Quest

• Grease Monkey
Reply #1523 on: Today at 03:05:03 pm
Fast Marin County E-bikes were back in the local (KCBS) radio news again yesterday. Marin is now focusing on three high schools where the teenagers are riding to the schools on fast electric bicycles/motorcycles (meanwhile terrorizing the local communities?). They want all of the ebikes to be registered with the schools and inspected for safety. They are also considering some other requirements, but I can't recall what they are. Now the county supervisor who is stirring the pot (and getting the press exposure) says that she is talking directly with the Consumer Product Safety Commission to see what they can do to reign in the proliferation of these dangerous vehicles and make them safer.
"They are also considering some other requirements, but I can't recall what they are."
Pretty sure those will be use taxes  ;)