Author Topic: Turbo roundabout  (Read 1448 times)

Richard230

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #30 on: April 21, 2024, 06:42:41 pm
But to enter the roundabout you need to take your eyes off of your cell phone and that makes it a challenge to choose the right entry path.  ;)
2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM Duke 390, 2002 Yamaha FZ1

deadbat

• Scooter
Reply #31 on: April 21, 2024, 08:30:00 pm
I get it, change is scary and bad.

Entering the "Turbo Roundabout" you have three choices of lane to get into: left, center, right.
Exiting the TR you are either going to be in the left or right lane. depending on previous choices.

Entering the LEFT (inside) lane carries you 90 degrees around the circle, where you get an opportunity to again go LEFT or straight. Left takes you another 90 degrees around. Keep repeating this and circulate to your hearts content.

Have you watched that video? Left lane will only take you straight or left (1:30 mark), they even say once inside stay in your lane until exit. Thanks to the lane dividers there is no option to change the lane once you on this so called "roundabout".
2022 RE Interceptor 650

Richard230

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #32 on: April 21, 2024, 08:50:11 pm
An article in my newspaper today says that drivers are hopping over the concrete dividers "and catching air" when they realize that they got in the wrong lane. That can't be doing their tires or wheel alignments any good.   ::)

GlennF

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #33 on: April 21, 2024, 10:10:18 pm
No different to taking the wrong freeway exit.

him a layin

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #34 on: April 21, 2024, 10:16:49 pm
i'm a big fan of empowerment and democracy, but just because nearly everyone can drive/vote/post on the internet doesn't mean they should.

Leofric

• Grand Gearhead
  • UK
Reply #35 on: April 21, 2024, 11:10:06 pm
i haven't spent the time to really study it, but the signage doesn't seem to correspond to the diagrams nor the videos. my exposure to roundabouts was 40 yrs ago in england, and while there's an adjustment period, after a couple of tries they make sense and are easy and efficient.
'Most' roundabouts here are straightforward and have been used for years , but they aren't turbo roundabouts.

him a layin

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #36 on: April 21, 2024, 11:58:30 pm
aren't turbo roundabouts.
well, you know us americans, everything here must be bigger, better, faster ;)
« Last Edit: April 22, 2024, 12:00:55 am by him a layin »

AzCal Retred

• Chennai Wrencher
  • Grand Gearhead
  • a journey of a thousand li starts under one's feet
Reply #37 on: April 22, 2024, 01:10:38 am
@ #31: At minute 2:00 the grey car behind the red "target" car clearly nips into the innermost left lane. Repeatedly doing that lets you orbit the TR. The whole idea of any roundabout is that the vehicles are traveling in the same direction which minimizes the hazards of directional changes. Incoming vehicles should be on your right side, not T-boning you on the left. At every "intersection" you choose a direction. Incoming drivers wait for the inner circling drivers to clear the intersection before joining in the swirl. To an "Incoming" driver there is no difference if you either cross the intersection ahead of him or turn left ahead of him into the innermost lane. He'll just follow you to the next "intersection" where he'll do what he wants to do. It's a moot point anyway as you won't be anywhere near the TR, your Garmin will make sure of that... ;D

As far as eejits mucking up their vehicles on dividers, Up here in the sticks we see daily occurrences of people ramming ostensibly immobile trees and boulders along the edges of the roadway. Maybe those folks are so broke they can't even pay attention? Or as R230 says maybe they should just hang up and drive.
A trifecta of Pre-Unit Bullets: a Red Deluxe 500, a Green Standard 500, and a Black ES 350.

GlennF

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #38 on: April 22, 2024, 01:43:50 am
I wonder how self drive tesla cope with this new type of roundabout.

Richard230

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #39 on: April 22, 2024, 01:46:37 am

That should make for a good YouTube video. Either that or another Tesla lawsuit.  ::)

AzCal Retred

• Chennai Wrencher
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #40 on: April 22, 2024, 04:06:47 am
Video really starts at about min. #5, before that it's just bragging. I REALLY don't want to spend my time poised over the controls, ready to stop my automagic car from killing me. I prefer to see THAT idiot in the mirror, engaged & driving the car his own self.

You Won’t Believe What Tesla’s FSD V12.3 Does in Roundabouts

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4SnpjYmbIV0
A trifecta of Pre-Unit Bullets: a Red Deluxe 500, a Green Standard 500, and a Black ES 350.

Leofric

• Grand Gearhead
  • UK
Reply #41 on: April 22, 2024, 10:27:24 pm
I wouldn't trust a self drive vehicle to cope with anything !

deadbat

• Scooter
Reply #42 on: Yesterday at 12:26:27 pm
@ #31: At minute 2:00 the grey car behind the red "target" car clearly nips into the innermost left lane. Repeatedly doing that lets you orbit the TR.

This is another car joining this "roundabout" and going left. With the physical barriers in between lanes that work as guide there is a very narrow gap where you can actually change the lane. You either have to be very familiar with when to change your lane or extremely lucky. Now imagine someone who is not familiar with how roundabouts work and/or see it for the first time ever. What possibly can go wrong?
This reminds me of saying: good drivers sometime miss their exit, bad drivers never miss their exit...
2022 RE Interceptor 650

AzCal Retred

• Chennai Wrencher
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #43 on: Yesterday at 02:51:01 pm
A Corolla or similar car isn't going to have any issues "orbiting" the roundabout, at least from the left hand lane. The TR lanes are made for even heavy semi-tractor-trailers to navigate, so generally the "straight" path is the one for turning radius restricted vehicles.

So far we've established that it's entirely possible to circulate the TR in a normal sized car if you so choose. A large vehicle such as an F350 crew-cab extended bed dually pulling a horse trailer, not so much.

Obviously the least anxiety inducing way thru the TR is to just follow the signage. As with all things "everything is easy when you know how". In my excursions thru various city-related urban jungles I've often missed an exit. Rather than panic I just keep on straight ahead-ish until I find a reasonable looking turn around point. Somehow the local folks don't seem to have quite the same issues that I as a newcomer to their particular traffic pattern do. Apparently "familiarity breeds contempt and/or children", as the case may be.

GlennF

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #44 on: Yesterday at 09:56:07 pm
There is a reason we do not have them in the great top end or outback ...