Author Topic: Tires  (Read 4936 times)

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
  • Everybody's havin' them dreams
on: August 29, 2013, 03:43:33 pm
    What tires are on the new B, C & G bikes now?

I mean brands, not size.
RI USA '08 Black AVL Classic.9.8:1 ACEhead/manifold/canister. TM32/Open bottle/hot tube removed. Pertronix Coil. Fed mandates removed. Gr.TCI. Bobber seat. Battery in right side case. Decomp&all doodads removed. '30s Lucas taillight/7" visored headlight. Much blackout & wire/electrical upgrades.

ROVERMAN

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: August 29, 2013, 04:49:08 pm
Skid masters on the B5  :(, AM26 Roadriders on the C & G bikes,at least here in the USA.

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #2 on: August 29, 2013, 05:14:15 pm
Did they change the tires on the G5s? They had Skidmasters, too. Those are all Avons.
And the Skidmasters are perfectly dreadful tires.
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

ROVERMAN

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: August 29, 2013, 05:16:38 pm
S M's only on the B5.

motorat

• Grease Monkey
Reply #4 on: August 29, 2013, 06:07:52 pm
obviously I read the question wrong
« Last Edit: August 30, 2013, 09:49:16 pm by motorat »
Joe
08 dl650abs
 c5 military

hortoncode3

• Grease Monkey
Reply #5 on: August 29, 2013, 10:50:09 pm
I'm a firm believer in the Dunlop K70's. The rear wears quickly but it's a result of the sticky tread and in such a narrow tire, stickier is BETTER.
Plus, you can pick them up fairly reasonable, if you look around.

GSS

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #6 on: August 30, 2013, 07:49:53 am
+1.  I hope they never stop making the K70s....it would be nice to see a larger range of sizes for 18" wheels.
2022 Continental GT 650 Dux Deluxe
2019 Himalayan Snow
2019 Interceptor 650 - Chrome...off the first boat!
Previous REs:
2021 Meteor 350 Supernova Blue
2014 Continental GT 535 - Red...lowest VIN off the first boat!
2010 Classic 500 - Teal Chrome

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #7 on: August 30, 2013, 01:23:13 pm
I'm a firm believer in the Dunlop K70's. The rear wears quickly but it's a result of the sticky tread and in such a narrow tire, stickier is BETTER.

That's all fine & I probably would agree with you, but that wasn't my question. My question was what is ON the new UCEs sitting in a dealer's showroom now?
RI USA '08 Black AVL Classic.9.8:1 ACEhead/manifold/canister. TM32/Open bottle/hot tube removed. Pertronix Coil. Fed mandates removed. Gr.TCI. Bobber seat. Battery in right side case. Decomp&all doodads removed. '30s Lucas taillight/7" visored headlight. Much blackout & wire/electrical upgrades.

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #8 on: August 30, 2013, 01:29:46 pm
Did they change the tires on the G5s? They had Skidmasters, too. Those are all Avons.
And the Skidmasters are perfectly dreadful tires.
Bare

That is the genesis of my question (Thanks, Bare).

Why are they still putting them on these new bikes?

What prompted me to ask was looking at pictures of the UCEs (which I very seldom do) & noticing that some of the tires looked like Avons.

meilaushi

• Grease Monkey
  • If it ain't broke, don't fix it! Ride!
Reply #9 on: August 30, 2013, 01:59:00 pm
My 2010 G2 UCE came with an Avon Speedmaster front, and an Avon MK II rear.  '08 Iron barrel as I recall had the same.  I replaced the '08s with Dunlop K70s in the appropriate sizes front and rear when I had to replace the Avons.  I notice that the Dunlop K70s have much deeper treads than do the Avons, and steering on the '08 is a bit more 'twitchy' as a result, but not bad.  The OEM Avons are pretty solidly steady by comparison.  The Avons lasted about 6K miles.  I'm trying the Dunlops to see if they last longer.  6K though for a small tire like the REs have doesn't seem too bad all things considered--IMHO.
Ralph Meyer
2008 RE Classic Bullet ES :) "Ennypenny" (It's an Enfield and costs pennies to run!)
2010 RE Deluxe G-5 :)) "Eagle"
2010 BMW F800ST
Ridin' 58 years & counting!  Back roads are fun! Member IBA.

D the D

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #10 on: August 30, 2013, 02:53:15 pm
They probably still use Avons for a number of reasons like the Home Market is obsessive about economy and Avons last a relatively long time when putting around in a miserly fashion; Avon probably has a factory in India that can supply RE without additional overseas shipping added to the price; tradition of old supplier/manufacturer relationships tend to last quite a long time in the automotive industry; Avon had a good reputation for motorcycle tires in the past century; Avon may give them the best price overall; Avon's CEO's only daughter may be married to RE CEO's #1 son.  Oh, scratch that last one, we're not talking about Korea.  ;D
'07 Iron Barrel Military (Deceased 14 September, 2013)
2014 Yamaha Bolt R Spec V-Twin
1975 XLCH

singhg5

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #11 on: August 30, 2013, 04:44:52 pm
            That's all fine & I probably would agree with you, but that wasn't my question.

My question was what is ON the new UCEs sitting in a dealer's showroom now?[/size]

C5 has Avon Roadrider front 90/90-19 and rear 110/80-18  (first picture).

G5 and B5 have same tires as before - Avon Speedmaster (second picture)

Details of C5 tire size on frame (third picture).

Tooseevee:

New UCEs sitting in a dealer showroom NOW, August 2013 !!
« Last Edit: August 31, 2013, 06:04:00 am by singhg5 »
1970's Jawa /  Yezdi
2006 Honda Nighthawk
2009 Royal Enfield Black G5

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #12 on: August 30, 2013, 05:19:20 pm
They probably still use Avons for a number of reasons like the Home Market is obsessive about economy and Avons last a relatively long time when putting around in a miserly fashion

The Indian Domestic Market gets an Indian brand of tires, the Avons are just for export models.

Scott

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #13 on: August 30, 2013, 05:36:04 pm
    What tires are on the new B, C & G bikes now?

I mean brands, not size.

It's amazing how many answers you get that have no relationship to the original question asked.

One answer talked about what he would put on his 2010 when I asked what was on the 2013s.

Another gave a whole tire catalog listing of all the brands of the size mentioned in the specs of the bikes on the CMW website. That won't tell you what's ON the bike in the showroom.

The first correct answer was from ROVERMan who actually read the question & answered it.

At the rate I'm going I'll die of old age before I wear these Skid Masters out on my 2008 AVL anyway, but I like the looks of the Road Runners.

Thanks for all the answers, guys. I'm just cranky & sick today. I've been taking Cephalexin for a really ugly insect or spider bite (no, it was not a tick) since Monday. Last night starting around 9:00 I shit from both ends for an hour & I'm still going bleary if I move.

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #14 on: August 30, 2013, 05:38:07 pm
           It's amazing how many answers you get that have no relationship to the original question asked.

One answer talked about what he would put on his 2010 when I asked what was on the 2013s.

Another gave a whole tire catalog listing of all the brands of the size mentioned in the specs of the bikes on the CMW website. That won't tell you what's ON the bike in the showroom.

The first correct answer was from ROVERMan who actually read the question & answered it.

At the rate I'm going I'll die of old age before I wear these Skid Masters out on my 2008 AVL anyway, but I like the looks of the Road Runners.

Thanks for all the answers, guys. I'm just cranky & sick today. I've been taking Cephalexin for a really ugly insect or spider bite (no, it was not a tick) since Monday. Last night starting around 9:00 I shit from both ends for an hour & I'm still going bleary if I move & get that old hurling feeling again.

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #15 on: August 30, 2013, 06:43:36 pm
Why are they still putting them on these new bikes?

It's called money, the Manufacturers are going to put on whatever comes from the lowest bidder.

You may not get to be as old as you think! ;)
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer

D the D

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #16 on: August 30, 2013, 08:08:16 pm
The Indian Domestic Market gets an Indian brand of tires, the Avons are just for export models.

Scott

They must be some great tire - hard as a rock and wear 50k miles.
'07 Iron Barrel Military (Deceased 14 September, 2013)
2014 Yamaha Bolt R Spec V-Twin
1975 XLCH

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #17 on: August 30, 2013, 08:41:35 pm
That's my guess too :)

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #18 on: August 31, 2013, 12:07:43 am
I'm pretty sure the Dunlop Speedmaster that came on my 2011 G5 was far from the cheapest tire available.  It was made in England and there is a huge duty tax on everything that is brought into India.

I suspect the reason for the English made tires is they are what the original Bullets used and the style for a 1955 British motorcycle is exactly correct.

In many of my books about motorcycles, the AVON Speedmaster with its circumferential grooves was the tire shown on many of the TT racers bikes. :)
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

ROVERMAN

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #19 on: August 31, 2013, 05:00:22 pm
Think of a time when maybe Kevin and CMW will have enough impact on the market and sales where he can say "hey guy's, how about equipping the B5 for the U.S. with something like a K 70?". You never know, it could happen. What do you say Kevin?
Robert & REnfield.

ROVERMAN

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #20 on: August 31, 2013, 05:01:15 pm
Oh how silly, i forgot,how about a trip odometer?

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Ride In Paradise Cabo, Don and Ernie
Reply #21 on: August 31, 2013, 06:10:23 pm
I'm pretty sure the Dunlop Speedmaster that came on my 2011 G5 was far from the cheapest tire available.  It was made in England and there is a huge duty tax on everything that is brought into India.

I suspect the reason for the English made tires is they are what the original Bullets used and the style for a 1955 British motorcycle is exactly correct.

In many of my books about motorcycles, the AVON Speedmaster with its circumferential grooves was the tire shown on many of the TT racers bikes. :)

Bingo !

The stock Avons were (and are) a respectable street tire while the Dunlop K70's were the AMA specified Class C racing tire.

The modern rubber compounds in the K70 of today makes them stickier than in days of old.
No matter where you go, there, you are.

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #22 on: August 31, 2013, 08:06:23 pm
There were few good tires as in today's performance world. The Avons may have been as good as any. However that doesn't mean they are any good for today's conditions! At lest the K70s have a bit more modern rubber in them. Believe me, if the K70's were the same then as they are now, you wouldn't have seen any Avons on the race tracks! Avon does make some fine tires today, but the Skid Masters ain't them!
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer

gdaniels

• Scooter
Reply #23 on: September 02, 2013, 06:08:03 pm
My newly acquired C5 is shod with MRF Nylogrip Zappers, 120/80-18 rear, 90/90-19 fronts, made in India. I guess my bike is India spec, which is reflected in the sales price. I have no idea if these tires are good or bad, but they sem to do the job

no bs

• Grand Gearhead
  • if it's got two wheels i'm on it
Reply #24 on: September 02, 2013, 07:22:26 pm
i found gold seal k70's on dennis kirk for $151 front and rear. best price i 've found so far
killing bugs since 1972 2011 g5 deluxe frankenbullet

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #25 on: September 03, 2013, 01:37:04 am
Did you check Motorcycle Superstore and Bike Bandit for K70s?
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer