Author Topic: Steering damper - yes, please!  (Read 2028 times)

guya

• Neophyte
on: August 29, 2013, 12:45:55 am
As I'm sure a lot of you are suffering from the same problem (head shakes making any ride at over 75mph a white-knuckle experience...) I thought I would share an easy fix.
Figuring out how to get it done actually took longer then the work itself. All parts were bought from ebay, with a grand total of around $100.
Here's what you need:
1. A fork ring mount. Get a 57mm if you can find one (some of the chopper/Harley catalogs carry them), or a 54mm, easily available on ebay. Of course you will need to grind it up and clear some material so it can fit the Enfield - it took me about an hr.
2. A universal fit steering damper. I got a 270mm unit to play it safe travel-wise and to match the over-all width of the fork, but you can get by with a shorter unit.

How to:

You will need to disassemble the steering lock, and cut off it's locking tab (the one that is located on the fork). That is the only permanent modification to the bike.
The steering lock frame mount bracket is ideal both in size and location for mounting the damper.
You would also need a spacer - about an inch should do it and you can get then at OSH. (please note- the spacer in the pic attached was actually fabricated, but a generic store bought one will do just fine).
The last bit - a wide steel washer, again, purchased at OSH.
The washer will slide into the triangle shaped bracket that the steering lock used to be mounted to, and needs to be cut down to a squarish shape in order to fit. You then slide the nut that secures the damper's mounting bolt to the frame on top of the washer (tight fit, but obviously doable), and your damper should now be properly secured to the bike's frame.
Other then that, the install is pretty straight forward, took about an hr, and the results are staggering...I run mine 3 clicks down from the stiffest setting (my damper has 7 levels of adjustment), and even on Cali bay area horribly-grooved freeways, the bike is as stable doing 90mph as it is doing 40. Steering stability during long, sweeping turns has also improved, with no real changes to the bike's original light handling.

Craig McClure

• Riding over 50 years
  • Grand Gearhead
  • "No Future In Getting Old"
Reply #1 on: August 29, 2013, 04:15:18 am
I would like a Steering Damper on my 2010 G5 Deluxe as well, But ONLY the old school Friction Dampers found on vintage British bikes, these one can tighten down & adjust, to suit many riding situations. It would require drilling out the steering/fork clamp stem. using a knob & a threaded rod to tighten the friction plates at the bottom. I have seen Vintage Enfield Dampers & may buy & stash one, until I can come up with a spare steering stem to have drilled by a machine shop.  So far this has been a luxury I haven't needed-but I'd like a FRICTION DAMPER ALOT.

HEAR THAT ENFIELD?
Best Wishes, Craig McClure

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #2 on: August 29, 2013, 06:28:21 pm
Very nice clean install!  Is that damper from 'Fast from the Past'?

Scott

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: August 29, 2013, 06:39:14 pm
 Nice work !
An thaibhsí atá rattling ag an doras agus tá sé an diabhal sa chathaoir.

guya

• Neophyte
Reply #4 on: August 29, 2013, 09:15:31 pm
Thanks Scott,

Here's the link for the damper - very decent quality part btw.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/151019113463?item=151019113463&viewitem=&sspagename=ADME:L:OC:US:3160&vxp=mtr

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #5 on: August 29, 2013, 09:26:01 pm
Ah, doesn't look like FFTP on closer inspection.

Scott

hortoncode3

• Grease Monkey
Reply #6 on: August 29, 2013, 10:39:36 pm
Guess I've never noticed an issue! I've always attributed twitchy steering to the narrow tire! I live with it! Nice conversion though!