Author Topic: Throttle cable broke  (Read 13849 times)

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #15 on: August 28, 2013, 11:22:06 pm
Yeah you need that collar.  Did you make sure that knurled adjusters are as loose as they can go?  Sometimes if you take the lock nut off it will give you enough play.

Scottie
2001 Harley Davidson Road King

rvcycleguy

• Grease Monkey
Reply #16 on: August 28, 2013, 11:23:58 pm
Yeah you need that collar.  Did you make sure that knurled adjusters are as loose as they can go?  Sometimes if you take the lock nut off it will give you enough play.

Scottie

There are no knurled adjusters on either end.  Not sure if the cable fits the bike or the cable fits the carburetor?  It has a Mikcarb on it with is not stock. 
« Last Edit: August 30, 2013, 01:11:49 am by rvcycleguy »
1956 Bullet 500 (G2) Custom tank, Silencer Muffler, Powder Coated Chassis
2006 Suzuki Boulevard C50 (800cc) Touring set-up. white walls, pearl white w/ ghost flames

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #17 on: August 28, 2013, 11:25:52 pm
There should be at least one adjuster where the cable goes into the carb.

Scottie

rvcycleguy

• Grease Monkey
Reply #18 on: August 28, 2013, 11:49:38 pm
There should be at least one adjuster where the cable goes into the carb.

Scottie

Your right.  There is a small brass threaded hex fitting on the carb end.  It's sitting on what looks like a stack of 5 washers?  If I back off the fitting, it increases the height and allows the washers to be loose.  I may have to add more washers to get the slack in the housing I need on the other end.  Thanks for the heads up.  No more today. 
2006 Suzuki Boulevard C50 (800cc) Touring set-up. white walls, pearl white w/ ghost flames

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #19 on: August 29, 2013, 01:21:56 am
NO NO NO!!!  TAKE THE WASHERS OUT!!!

THAT'S why you don't have any slack in the cable.  Remove ALL of those washers and you should have the free play you need and be back in business.   :D

Scottie

rvcycleguy

• Grease Monkey
Reply #20 on: August 29, 2013, 02:12:33 am
NO NO NO!!!  TAKE THE WASHERS OUT!!!

THAT'S why you don't have any slack in the cable.  Remove ALL of those washers and you should have the free play you need and be back in business.   :D

Scottie

Thanks.  After I wrote of adding washers, I realized I probably should remove some or all to get more slack.  The thing is, there is no locking nut, just a brass or bronze fitting.  My guess is someone through the years prior to me owning the bike modified the cable end when they changed the stock Amal to the Micarb. Now I know.  It's been an enlightening experience learning as I go on this bike. 

Thanks,
RV

rvcycleguy

• Grease Monkey
Reply #21 on: August 29, 2013, 11:28:01 pm
Removed the washers, actually, left one single on.  Connected it all up and starts, idles and runs fine.  Rode it today for about 60 miles.  All good.  Thanks guys for the advice. 

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #22 on: August 30, 2013, 12:34:01 am
No problem.  Good to hear you got it figured out.  :)

Scottie

D the D

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #23 on: August 30, 2013, 02:23:42 am
Yay!  Glad Scottie walked you through.  A little slop or jiggle at the throttle is better than too tight and no play at all.
'07 Iron Barrel Military (Deceased 14 September, 2013)
2014 Yamaha Bolt R Spec V-Twin
1975 XLCH

rvcycleguy

• Grease Monkey
Reply #24 on: September 01, 2013, 12:02:17 am
Went out on a group ride near the coast.  Rode 60 miles there to meet up and then 20 more to the destination.  About 2 miles short, the throttle went to idle only and no roll on.  Found the carb end disconnected from the slide inside the carb.  Can't seem to keep it locked into the key way. Its a slot with right angle that does not seem to want to hold anymore?  Mikarb unit.  Got trailered back to the meet up and wife came with the pu truck and carried it home.  She says, if I can't   ride it round trip, I will have to park it.  It ran well this week since I got it repaired from the throttle end, probably 100 miles or so.  Any more ideas? 

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #25 on: September 01, 2013, 02:00:31 am
Sounds like you need a new cable.  Just buy a replacement or find a local bike shop that builds custom cables.  Maybe the guy that helped you the first time can build you a new one from scratch.

Scottie

rvcycleguy

• Grease Monkey
Reply #26 on: September 01, 2013, 02:47:38 am
Sounds like you need a new cable.  Just buy a replacement or find a local bike shop that builds custom cables.  Maybe the guy that helped you the first time can build you a new one from scratch.

Scottie

Thanks Scottie.  That's the conclusion that seems appropriate at this point.  May have to go custom. The RE dealer here wants to special order with no returns.  He cannot guarantee it fits due to vintage era and carb is not stock, as he says...

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #27 on: September 01, 2013, 02:52:25 am
When you go back, make sure you bring your carb slide and throttle tube to make sure you have the correct barrels and nipples so you don't end up having to REmodify anything.

Scottie

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Ride In Paradise Cabo, Don and Ernie
Reply #28 on: September 01, 2013, 03:08:14 am
Flanders cable parts. Never dealt with them but hears good things
http://www.flandersco.com/FlanCableSearch.html

Barnett. these guys rock.
http://www.barnettclutches.com/

Either one should be able to accommodate your requirements.

No matter where you go, there, you are.

rvcycleguy

• Grease Monkey
Reply #29 on: September 01, 2013, 06:38:42 pm
Flanders cable parts. Never dealt with them but hears good things
http://www.flandersco.com/FlanCableSearch.html

Barnett. these guys rock.
http://www.barnettclutches.com/

Either one should be able to accommodate your requirements.

Thanks Ice.  I will give them a call after the holiday here on Monday.  I lost that slotted sleeve retainer from the grip end of the cable.  I saw it fall out while I was coasting to the shoulder after the carb end failed and created slack.  I tried to find it on the road shoulder and could not.