Author Topic: Throttle cable broke  (Read 13878 times)

rvcycleguy

• Grease Monkey
on: August 27, 2013, 02:12:40 pm
Well, the other day, I noticed a bind in the throttle cable in the channel under the gas tank.  Thought I fixed that, but it may have been a lingering issue.  Went out this morning to take the bike out for a short ride and it fired right up and then died.  Throttle grip was loose and rotating freely.  Cable end broke at the grip.  Small lead end snapped off.  Is this a dealer item or can I find it at any MC repair shop? 
« Last Edit: August 27, 2013, 03:22:59 pm by rvcycleguy »
1956 Bullet 500 (G2) Custom tank, Silencer Muffler, Powder Coated Chassis
2006 Suzuki Boulevard C50 (800cc) Touring set-up. white walls, pearl white w/ ghost flames

gunnerasch

• Scooter
Reply #1 on: August 27, 2013, 02:39:13 pm
Generally you can find replacement cables at any motorcycle shop. Ive even used 10 speed bike cables from Walmart in an emergency <G>

rvcycleguy

• Grease Monkey
Reply #2 on: August 27, 2013, 03:24:38 pm
Generally you can find replacement cables at any motorcycle shop. Ive even used 10 speed bike cables from Walmart in an emergency <G>

When you used a bike cable, was it just the cable or with the housing? 
2006 Suzuki Boulevard C50 (800cc) Touring set-up. white walls, pearl white w/ ghost flames

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: August 27, 2013, 04:01:49 pm
I have a custom fitted bike cable on my carb with no issues.  I bought a cable kit from Ace Hardware for $8.  Found the cable that fit the throttle grip the best, cut to fit as needed and soldered on the cable cap.

Scottie
2001 Harley Davidson Road King

rvcycleguy

• Grease Monkey
Reply #4 on: August 27, 2013, 05:44:55 pm
I have a custom fitted bike cable on my carb with no issues.  I bought a cable kit from Ace Hardware for $8.  Found the cable that fit the throttle grip the best, cut to fit as needed and soldered on the cable cap.

Thanks Scottie.  I found a shop here in town called Ace Motorworks that does vintage MC work.  He did a carb clean and rejet this year for me.  I called him and he said bring the cable over and he would solder on a new end.  10 minute ride and $5 job and Im back in business.  Thanks for the prompt replies. Now just have to install it and make sure it does not get in a bind again.  How do riders deal with this on the road?  Trailer it?  Is there no options for the throttle like there might be for the clutch?

RV

D the D

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: August 27, 2013, 05:55:48 pm
You can also find "custom" cable kits with little barrels that have a set screw on the grip end.  The custom part is you cut to the length you need and put the barrel on.  Very inexpensive.  Mine was frayed where it enters the throttle grip housing and I replaced it 2 weeks ago before it failed.  The angle of the cable at the throttle isn't ideal.

'07 Iron Barrel Military (Deceased 14 September, 2013)
2014 Yamaha Bolt R Spec V-Twin
1975 XLCH

rvcycleguy

• Grease Monkey
Reply #6 on: August 27, 2013, 07:14:26 pm
You can also find "custom" cable kits with little barrels that have a set screw on the grip end.  The custom part is you cut to the length you need and put the barrel on.  Very inexpensive.  Mine was frayed where it enters the throttle grip housing and I replaced it 2 weeks ago before it failed.  The angle of the cable at the throttle isn't ideal.

Thanks.  Having a little issue with putting in back on.  With the new end on it, the shop guy had to cut off a smidge to solder on the stopper.  Did not look like much, maybe 1/8 inch up to 1/4.  Having a problem getting both ends in their respective locking positions. When I do, the throttle grip is too tight and does not return.  Carb Plunger, screen, cable end, all seem seated well. 

D the D

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #7 on: August 27, 2013, 07:55:47 pm
Check for bends and kinks in the cable between the throttle and the carb.  Too tight a turn or pinching under the tank can pinch the cable inside the cable cover.
'07 Iron Barrel Military (Deceased 14 September, 2013)
2014 Yamaha Bolt R Spec V-Twin
1975 XLCH

rvcycleguy

• Grease Monkey
Reply #8 on: August 27, 2013, 09:21:03 pm
Check for bends and kinks in the cable between the throttle and the carb.  Too tight a turn or pinching under the tank can pinch the cable inside the cable cover.

Working with the tank off.  I've checked for kinks and bends and all seems to be ok.  I'll take a break and go back at it fresh this evening.  Thanks.  Seems like it does not want to stay locked into the plunger end?  Too easy for it to release while I'm putting the grip end in the lock. 

rvcycleguy

• Grease Monkey
Reply #9 on: August 28, 2013, 05:20:29 pm
Got the cable on now and the bike fires up and goes immediately to a very high idle with no way to roll it down.  It will roll on higher but won't throttle down.  I can put the chock on and it will idle down but finally choke itself out when it gets warmed up.  If I take the choke off, it goes to a fast, high idle.  Seems like there is enough slack in the cable? 

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #10 on: August 28, 2013, 07:22:03 pm
Either the cable is installed wrong or it is too tight.  There should be an 1/8-1/4" of play in the throttle grip.  If there is no play in the grip then it is too tight and pulling the slide open.

Scottie

rvcycleguy

• Grease Monkey
Reply #11 on: August 28, 2013, 08:40:17 pm
Either the cable is installed wrong or it is too tight.  There should be an 1/8-1/4" of play in the throttle grip.  If there is no play in the grip then it is too tight and pulling the slide open.

Scottie

That's kind of what I'm thinking.  That the slide is open while at rest.   By having a new cable end stop put on yesterday, the cable may be just a pinch too short.  I will also check that the throttle grip is in the proper rotating position.  It appears the kill switch housing is not in the same position it was when I started the project which may be pulling the cable slightly. 

rvcycleguy

• Grease Monkey
Reply #12 on: August 28, 2013, 10:23:05 pm
Working to solve this issue.  If I remove the metal 2 step collar that slides on the cable housing end where it goes inside the plastic switch housing at the throttle end, the idle is back to normal.  If I put the collar back on, the throttle runs away high.  I'm assuming the cable is too short and pulling the slide plunger open.  When I remove the collar, it drops the slide to normal. The throttle seems to work decent and I'm trying to decide that I don't need the collar?  If so, I'll order a new cable from the dealer and wait for it come in. 

Update....  Spoke with the dealer and he said that the reason it's got a high idle is that the exterior housing was not shortened by the same length as the inner cable was shortened. Therefore the housing is just a fraction long.  That's why it will low idle without the collar end on.  Without it, the housing goes up inside the switch housing and let's the carb run at a low idle. 
« Last Edit: August 28, 2013, 10:48:52 pm by rvcycleguy »

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #13 on: August 28, 2013, 10:44:20 pm
Post a pic of what you're talking about so I can see if it's ok to remove.

Scottie

rvcycleguy

• Grease Monkey
Reply #14 on: August 28, 2013, 11:00:43 pm
Post a pic of what you're talking about so I can see if it's ok to remove.

Scotti

Update....  Spoke with the dealer and he said that the reason it's got a high idle is that the exterior housing was not shortened by the same length as the inner cable was shortened. Therefore the housing is just a fraction long.  That's why it will low idle without the collar end on.  Without it, the housing goes up inside the switch housing and let's the carb run at a low idle.