Author Topic: I Need Some Head.......  (Read 1608 times)

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
on: September 06, 2013, 02:10:03 pm
....advice, that is.  I noticed quite a few weeks back that I could hear my head gaskets leaking again.  No performance issues, in fact the bike is running really great.  I remember someone mentioning that these heads are prone to warpage due to their flawed 2-head design.  Last night, I started up the Blackhawk to run some errands to Wal-Martinez, and noticed a puff of oil smoke sneak out of the head gasket seam.  Sure enough, both cylinders, on the outer corners of the intake side are leaking.  Not bad, just enough to hear it.  In fact, there are no signs of compression loss, just an occasional slight variance in idle speed.  I can't even feel any air if I hold my hand right next to where it's leaking

Here's my questions.....  Was using the old head studs maybe the lead to this?  I checked and re-torqued the head bolts about a month ago but they were not very loose at all and it didn't quiet down the leak at all.  Or is this just the nature of the beast with these old twins?  Thanks!

Scottie
2001 Harley Davidson Road King

ERC

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: September 06, 2013, 03:10:35 pm
Hi Scottie, That area is where the pushrod runs I usually put a bead of sealer around the hole when I put them together. It may be crankcase pressure your hearing.  ERC
2-57 Apaches, 2-57 Trailblazers, 60 Chief, 65 Interceptor, 2004 Bullet, 612 Bullet chopped.