Author Topic: Sidecar question  (Read 3451 times)

rvcycleguy

• Grease Monkey
on: August 27, 2013, 02:06:53 am
I'm thinking of adding a sidecar to my vintage Bullet.  With the sidecar attached on the rightside, is there a conflict for the kickstart lever?  Do the rigging bars allow for room to kickstart?
1956 Bullet 500 (G2) Custom tank, Silencer Muffler, Powder Coated Chassis
2006 Suzuki Boulevard C50 (800cc) Touring set-up. white walls, pearl white w/ ghost flames

mplayle

• Bulleteer
Reply #1 on: August 27, 2013, 02:39:57 am
My 2012 C5 has a matching Inder sidecar attached by the dealer.  It does not interfere with the kick starter.  I have used my kick start a few times without interference - just my poor coordination and lack of practice on the kick start.

For the older Bullets, I believe the Cozy sidecars are recommended - slightly lighter weight.  The Inder are almost identical to the Cozy, but seem a little more solid and have a brake option on the sidecar.

There are other vintage styled sidecars available from US makers as well.  Find the lightest you can as the bike does not have much spare power for the heavier ones.

rvcycleguy

• Grease Monkey
Reply #2 on: August 27, 2013, 03:17:20 am
Thanks Scooter.  Yes, the brake option appeals to me.  With the vintage models having only mechanical drum brakes, I'll take all the extra braking help. 
2006 Suzuki Boulevard C50 (800cc) Touring set-up. white walls, pearl white w/ ghost flames

mplayle

• Bulleteer
Reply #3 on: August 27, 2013, 02:49:27 pm
rvcycleguy,

Get in touch with the folks at Royal Enfield of Fort Worth.  That is where I got my C5 with sidecar.  They currently have a maroon C5 with matching Inder sidecar on their website.  They may be able to arrange getting one with the brake option for you and are "in state".  They also can probably arrange the installation.

rvcycleguy

• Grease Monkey
Reply #4 on: August 28, 2013, 05:23:09 pm
rvcycleguy,

Get in touch with the folks at Royal Enfield of Fort Worth.  That is where I got my C5 with sidecar.  They currently have a maroon C5 with matching Inder sidecar on their website.  They may be able to arrange getting one with the brake option for you and are "in state".  They also can probably arrange the installation.

Thanks mplayle.  My desire would be the black bullet version to match my vintage black Bullet.  I'm not in the market this year, due to job change and other distractions. 

mplayle

• Bulleteer
Reply #5 on: August 28, 2013, 10:24:48 pm
Royal Enfield of Fort Worth should be able to get either style of sidecar and paint it to match your bike.  They did the "Euro Retro" model on my C5 Military and matched the OD Green.

It sounds like you want the "Rocket" style sidecar.  Shortly before they had mine ready, they had a black G5 with a matching "Rocket" sidecar I started to consider.

rvcycleguy

• Grease Monkey
Reply #6 on: August 28, 2013, 11:04:36 pm
I spoke with the Ft Worth dealer and he has the C5 model with the maroon car only.  He does have a black Kozi Bullet sidecar but they have a custom build waiting for it.  The guy I spoke to said there is a slight conflict with the kickstarter with the sidecar attachment set up as is. He said with his big feet, he probably could not kick it.  He suggested I would need to have custom work to avoid this conflict.

mplayle

• Bulleteer
Reply #7 on: August 29, 2013, 01:28:56 am
I've been able to kick start my 2012 C5 with the sidecar as they attached it.  It may be that my 9.5 shoe size allows enough clearance.

The Garbone

• Shade Tree
  • Grand Gearhead
  • User Complaints: 22
Reply #8 on: August 29, 2013, 02:07:46 am
I ordered my Cozy from Nfield gear and they dropped the crate off in my driveway.  Give them a call. Its not that hard to set up.

I had put the car on my 95 with a 4speed rh shift box and had no issues with the kicker.
Gary
57' RE Crusader 250
67' Ford Mustang
74' Catalina 27 "Knot a Clew"
95 RE Ace Clubman 535
01 HD 1200 Custom
07 RE 5spd HaCK

* all actions described in this post are fictional *

rvcycleguy

• Grease Monkey
Reply #9 on: August 29, 2013, 02:15:48 am
I ordered my Cozy from Nfield gear and they dropped the crate off in my driveway.  Give them a call. Its not that hard to set up.

I had put the car on my 95 with a 4speed rh shift box and had no issues with the kicker.

Thanks.  When I go that direction for sidecars, I will want a brake on it.  From my understanding, since my Bullet has the left foot brake pedal, I will have to custom the linkage to actuate the mechanical sidecar brake. 

The Garbone

• Shade Tree
  • Grand Gearhead
  • User Complaints: 22
Reply #10 on: August 29, 2013, 02:18:31 am
Oh,  my Cozy has no brake.  I would really suggest getting the front brake sorted well because once the weight starts shifting.....

To be honest I usually have a few miles of space cushion in front of me as it is not as if it is a fast setup.

Gary
57' RE Crusader 250
67' Ford Mustang
74' Catalina 27 "Knot a Clew"
95 RE Ace Clubman 535
01 HD 1200 Custom
07 RE 5spd HaCK

* all actions described in this post are fictional *

rvcycleguy

• Grease Monkey
Reply #11 on: August 29, 2013, 02:24:10 am
Right Gary.  These machines are certainly not suitable for tailgating... Lol.

mplayle

• Bulleteer
Reply #12 on: August 29, 2013, 03:08:33 am
The brake on the Inder versions is cable activated.  The connection to the rear brake pedal may only need minimal adaptation.  The trick will be routing the cable under the bike and over to the sidecar without any tight curves.

If you come up for the Round Rock show, you would be most welcome to look mine over closely.

rvcycleguy

• Grease Monkey
Reply #13 on: August 29, 2013, 11:39:06 am
Thanks mplayle.  I've got it on my calendar.  Starting a new job next Tuesday, hope there won't be any conflicts for my time that weekend.  Plus my son says his house is almost finished which means move in is being scheduled soon.