Author Topic: 2012 Classic fuel mileage  (Read 5242 times)

Norm

• Bulleteer
  • Ride it daily for best results.
Reply #15 on: August 29, 2013, 02:45:21 am
20 hp motors?  :o

Oh!  You must be thinking about the Iron barrel engine.  The fuel injected UCE's produce 27.2 horsepower.  ;D
Maybe at the crankshaft.  I saw a dyno printout for a UCE which topped out at 20.5HP at the wheel.
Ride like you are invisible.
Arizona

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #16 on: August 29, 2013, 05:19:18 am
Sounds about right.

All of the companies that I've heard of that list horsepower ratings are speaking of the horsepower at the crankshaft.

There's a lot of loss between the crankshaft and the rear wheel on any vehicle, what with all the chains and gears and oil and tires using up some of it so a loss of 5-7 horsepower should be expected.
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #17 on: August 29, 2013, 07:18:30 pm
I took my bike up a local ski mountain, about 6000 ft elevation at the peak.  The last section of road was a little steep as it switchbacks up to the lodge.  I could not go more than 45mph on that stretch.  The bike ran beautifully, but there's not much muscle left as the elevation gets higher.

Scott

hortoncode3

• Grease Monkey
Reply #18 on: August 29, 2013, 10:45:31 pm
I bought a very nice Harley D cell phone holder that magnet mounts to the tank and placed a cheap dollar store spiral pad in it. Easy and cheap. My 2009 G5 gets a low of 60 and has got a high of 80 mpg. The higher mileage is a result of cruising consistently at 30-50 mph, a typical Vermont secondary  road jaunt.
I generally fuel up when the guys I ride with do. It's a good habit to get into, fueling when the opportunity presents itself. They all have V- twins so their mileage sucks.!

crush02342002

• Bulleteer
Reply #19 on: August 31, 2013, 03:52:27 am
got my first tank of fuel today (low fuel light just starting to flicker on), dealership said they filled it (ill have to take their word for it), I calculated 73mpg. Im at or below sea level (Houston, Tx  USA)

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #20 on: August 31, 2013, 04:20:29 am
got my first tank of fuel today (low fuel light just starting to flicker on), dealership said they filled it (ill have to take their word for it), I calculated 73mpg. Im at or below sea level (Houston, Tx  USA)

That's the going average rate on these bikes.  Some get better, some worst, but most report around 75mpg.

Scottie
2001 Harley Davidson Road King

crush02342002

• Bulleteer
Reply #21 on: August 31, 2013, 04:24:46 am
sounds good, its better than 41mpg I get with my Duc

meilaushi

• Grease Monkey
  • If it ain't broke, don't fix it! Ride!
Reply #22 on: September 02, 2013, 02:39:04 pm
I took my bike up a local ski mountain, about 6000 ft elevation at the peak.  The last section of road was a little steep as it switchbacks up to the lodge.  I could not go more than 45mph on that stretch.  The bike ran beautifully, but there's not much muscle left as the elevation gets higher.

Scott
Only steam engines get more powerful as the altitude goes up as I understand.  Any direct hot air operated engine gets less powerful as the air becomes thinner (lower pressure).  But that's OK...as I understand the new UCEs' fuel injection systems' mapping is set up to handle air pressures from sea level to around 18,000 feet (Himalayas) as that's about how high the Indian Army takes them on border patrol.  They do lose power but at least one doesn't have to re-jet 'em if one is going to head into the mountains.  Another nice aspect of REs besides beauty and all that other good stuff. ;)
Ralph Meyer
2008 RE Classic Bullet ES :) "Ennypenny" (It's an Enfield and costs pennies to run!)
2010 RE Deluxe G-5 :)) "Eagle"
2010 BMW F800ST
Ridin' 58 years & counting!  Back roads are fun! Member IBA.

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #23 on: September 02, 2013, 03:41:42 pm
Yes, altitude makes a difference.
The EFI bikes can adjust the mixture for the altitude, so that's a nice feature of the EFI equipped bikes.
However, compression and breathing still are affected.
With the Iron Barrel engines, we make compression corrections for those people who live in high elevations and won't be likely to ride down to sea level much.
We have some users at 7000' elevation who are using over 9.5:1 compression, and have about the same cranking compression psi as users at sea level with 8.25:1 compression. So, they get about the same power output as the guys at sea level, but need some corrections to be able to do it. And if they come down to lower altitudes, they'd need octane booster to stave off the ping.
But it works.
We are very well-versed in correcting for altitude, and we do it for every Fireball owner as part of their build support.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2013, 04:04:45 pm by ace.cafe »
Home of the Fireball 535 !