Author Topic: Breather mod question?  (Read 1674 times)

Dave1

• Grease Monkey
on: August 25, 2013, 02:54:15 pm
Hi guys and gals. I have a 2004 Bullet 65 500cc trials bike. Which is using a huge amount of oil. I use my bike to commute to work and back 5 days a week and sometimes go for a weekend rideout. In one week of regular use. It would go from the high mark to off the dipstick in under one week, Yikes!

Anyway I figured out it was the breather set up that was the problem. And one of the previous owners (2) put in a piece of metal on the crankcase tube before the catch can, that offered no back pressure to the engine whatsoever. Which in turn ment that it vented all its oil over the chain,surrounding frame work, and probably the rear wheel!

I've put that right by putting the duckbill back on the crankcase vent. The original system had a tube go from the catch can to drain into the timing chest.

My question is, what is a safe method to block off the timing chest inlet valve? Without the potential of causing damage to the timing gears.

I stumbled across this thread http://www.enfieldmotorcycles.com/forum/index.php/topic,676.msg64170.html#msg64170

But it doesn't detail how he blocked the timing chest off.

Thanks in advanced

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #1 on: August 25, 2013, 03:55:11 pm
You should be able to find a blanking cap made of rubber that can fit that location. Get one with a tight fit, or use some RTV to glue it in place.
If not, a short piece of hose clamped on to it with a bolt clamped in the end would do the job.
Home of the Fireball 535 !

Dave1

• Grease Monkey
Reply #2 on: August 25, 2013, 06:40:00 pm
Hi, Ace. Thanks for the suggestion. I couldn't find a rubber cap to fit over it from the popular British retailer.

So I just cut the pipe down clamped it on. And put an over sized ball bearing in there. Creating a good seal. There is no way the bearing can go in the timing chest. Way to big.

D the D

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: August 25, 2013, 07:58:51 pm
Most any autoparts store will have the rubber caps.  Ask for "Vacuum Caps".
A bolt clamped in the hose will work too.  Here's my cap with a fuel line clamp on it.

'07 Iron Barrel Military (Deceased 14 September, 2013)
2014 Yamaha Bolt R Spec V-Twin
1975 XLCH