Author Topic: New Race Gloves  (Read 1326 times)

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
on: August 29, 2013, 07:35:31 pm
I'm getting ready to take the Blackhawk to the drag strip next week and found out that I need armored leather gloves with kevlar sliders.  I ended up getting a pair of Olympia gloves.  They seem pretty comfy so far.

Scottie
2001 Harley Davidson Road King

D the D

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: August 29, 2013, 07:58:19 pm
If you need something heavier than those you won't have a hand left to save!
'07 Iron Barrel Military (Deceased 14 September, 2013)
2014 Yamaha Bolt R Spec V-Twin
1975 XLCH

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #2 on: August 29, 2013, 10:37:40 pm
They'll do you  a lot more good than a lot of other stuff out there. And you got the right knuckle guards. I broke my pinky bone once because of not having that armor! Can't say I've really had too much trouble with other parts of a glove. I may have ripped one or two, but it still didn't cause much, if any, harm to my hands.
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: August 30, 2013, 02:12:20 pm
You know, I never desired having this extreme of a glove.  But I REALLY want to run at the track, and they are a requirement for Tech Inspection.  Here's the rules if anyone is interested.

I want to bring my motorcycle out for one of the Test & Tune sessions. What is required?

Most M/C will pass tech inspection if they are in the OEM condition (I.E.; - not modified) except 3 wheel motorcycles (not permitted). However many large displacement M/C's are capable of achieving elapsed times and speeds that require extra items not found as standard equipment. If your M/C runs slower than 10.99 seconds (6.99 in 1/8th mile) or slower than 120 MPH in the 1/4 mile we will check for the following items:

1.  Valid (unrestricted) state issued drivers license or NHRA competition license
    2.  Self returning (snap back) throttle
    3.  Operating front and rear brakes
    4.  Foot operated shifters only - No hand shifters permitted
    5.  OEM chain guard or one constructed to meet NHRA specs
    6. One functional tail light mandatory
    7. A Snell (2005 or newer) certified full coverage helmet with original face shield
         (no goggles permitted)
    8.  Leather jacket or abrasion resistant SFI spec racing style jacket mandatory
    9.  Leather gloves with Kevlar lining or slide buttons on the palm/heel area required
  10.  Leather boots which cover the ankle area mandatory

If your M/C is capable of times quicker than 10.99 (6.99 in 1/8th) you must install a lanyard and switch to cut off the ignition system should you become separated from the M/C. Lanyard may be attached to OEM ignition cutoff switch.

If your M/C is capable of exceeding 120 MPH in the 1/4 mile you must wear full leathers or two piece leathers that zip together at the waist.

If your M/C runs 9.99 (6.39 in 1/8th) or 135 MPH consult the NHRA rule book for licensing requirements.

I have a full leather jacket and an armored jacket, motocross boots and now the gloves.  Now I just need to check out craigslist to find a '05 or newer helmet for cheap, there's a few posted on there.

Scottie

D the D

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: August 30, 2013, 03:21:56 pm
Scottie,
If you don't mind ugly just google "Snell helmet" and you'll find closeouts for new SNELL cert ones @ $45 - $80.
You can always spray paint it or view the wild colors as making you safe through visibility.
'07 Iron Barrel Military (Deceased 14 September, 2013)
2014 Yamaha Bolt R Spec V-Twin
1975 XLCH

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: August 30, 2013, 04:32:59 pm
If I end up painting the new helmet I'll paint it black metal flake like the bike.

Scottie

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Ride In Paradise Cabo, Don and Ernie
Reply #6 on: August 31, 2013, 08:52:29 am
If I end up painting the new helmet I'll paint it black metal flake like the bike.

Scottie

Plain black metal flake ? too pedestrian ;)  ;D Liven it up a bit I say.

How about some borders or stripes in the same paint as the script on the tank  ;D something that screams 1969 style

I dare you  8)

« Last Edit: August 31, 2013, 09:01:53 am by Ice »
No matter where you go, there, you are.

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #7 on: August 31, 2013, 02:54:28 pm
Plain black metal flake ? too pedestrian ;)  ;D Liven it up a bit I say.

How about some borders or stripes in the same paint as the script on the tank  ;D something that screams 1969 style

I dare you  8)

Funny you should say that.......  I was actually thi8nking the exact thing when I made that last post, but I was on my phone and didn't feel like typing out the whole thing.  I was almost thinking of doing the Indian Head logo on both sides of the helmet, but maybe not.  OR, maybe I could have this printed into a sticker and throw this on the back of the helmet.

Crop out all the crap at the bottom and make that red stripe go all the way around the face of the helmet.   ???

Scottie