Author Topic: Tick tack sound / noisy engine  (Read 7572 times)

ScooterBob

• Grand Gearhead
  • Yeah - I get it ....
Reply #15 on: August 24, 2013, 01:49:09 pm

And I am convinced you are correct. It's the oil !  It always seems to be around here anyway !.. and i'm sure that thicker oil is helping you to achieve that quiet motor..Especially if you are in a hot climate.

Speaking of Engine noise ... And these engines also have oil in them, so I understand...

http://www.motorcycle.com/how-to/top-ten-best-sounding-motorcycle-engines-91156.html

Oil viscosity is a big thing in keeping noise out of a roller engine. Why do you think Harley-Davis used SAE60W for so long? It is important to note, however, that with hydraulic lifters, one must be mindful of getting TOO much viscosity, as the lifters will never fill/purge ..... another problem that Harley figgered out.

As for the best sounding motor-sickles? I loves me some 120 degree-crank triples ..... and why is it that a Ducati twin SOUNDS like a 12-cylinder Formula One engine when it's under the throttle hard? Yeah - I'm there for THAT, too .... Hahaha!
Spare the pig iron - spoil the part!

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #16 on: August 24, 2013, 04:26:24 pm
Oil viscosity is a big thing in keeping noise out of a roller engine. Why do you think Harley-Davis used SAE60W for so long? It is important to note, however, that with hydraulic lifters, one must be mindful of getting TOO much viscosity, as the lifters will never fill/purge ..... another problem that Harley figgered out.

As for the best sounding motor-sickles? I loves me some 120 degree-crank triples ..... and why is it that a Ducati twin SOUNDS like a 12-cylinder Formula One engine when it's under the throttle hard? Yeah - I'm there for THAT, too .... Hahaha!

I do like me that psychotic little, 1800000000 ,0000000  revving 250 cc SIX ! Especially for it's time...... But, that Ducati twin does sound good as well.  And I suppose it sounds like an F1 because of that very cool Desmo valve train arrangement. Where you can rev the shyte out of it, without the worries of valve float . The dynamic compression has got to be through the roof !!  Or the plug hole.... or the head gasket.   He..he..he
An thaibhsí atá rattling ag an doras agus tá sé an diabhal sa chathaoir.

singhg5

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #17 on: August 24, 2013, 04:49:19 pm
Another discussion on the effect of oil viscosity on hydraulic tappets noise and function in Bobistheoilguy forum -

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2121406&page=1
1970's Jawa /  Yezdi
2006 Honda Nighthawk
2009 Royal Enfield Black G5

Tigujan

• Scooter
Reply #18 on: August 24, 2013, 05:50:16 pm
The only thing I want to hear is less nois out of my engine. I hate that nerveus "tick tack" brattle. And I am conviced that this other type of oil reduce the engine noise significant. If somebody know a other solution he is welcome!

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #19 on: August 24, 2013, 10:56:30 pm
If it's just a "tick tack brattle", I suggest just getting use to it.

Air cooled engines are always noisier than water cooled engines.

There is no water jacket to dampen out the sounds of the moving parts and the moving parts have larger clearances.

Larger clearances allow the parts to "rattle" when the engine is running.
Nothing is damaged by this except for the ears of the people standing around. :)
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary