Author Topic: Primary oil leaking out of gear box?  (Read 1164 times)

GreenForce82

• Frank The TECH
  • Grease Monkey
  • The Dude Abides
on: August 18, 2013, 12:28:49 am
I did some work inside the primary a while back and re used the oil thst came out after straining it thru some cotton tshirt.

Then I recently topped it off with more atf but it was type f...  I believe this may have been in error. I have developed a leak that seems to be on the back round (corner) of the gearbox. Lots of red oil leaking out of there and maybe even the clutch adjustment port. I really didn't think the primary and the gearbox were connected but after thinking about it, if the type f ate up a gasket...  Perhaps...  Just perhaps....

Thoughts?

Suggestions?

I'll also say that I really filled er up to the top of the fill plug because I seem to recall hearing that that was the concensus on how much to actually use in the primary. But anyway...
"Counted his friends in burned-out spark plugs
and prays that he always will.

But he's the last of the blue blood greaser boys all of his mates are doing time:

Married with three kids up by the ring road
sold their souls straight down the line.

mrunderhill1975a

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: August 18, 2013, 02:23:17 am
I have used type F ATF in the primary for ten years with no rubber deterioration problems.  I believe Snidal recommends type F, as it has friction enhancers for the clutch plates.

Do you have a Iron Barrel or AVL?

Did you remove the inner primary cover? If so, did you protect the seal around the input shaft using the special tool or tape?

ERC

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #2 on: August 18, 2013, 03:18:14 am
ATF will leak out easier than oil. Also I think you've added way to much oil to the primary. It will work just fine if up to the level plug on the bottom of the primary.   ERC
2-57 Apaches, 2-57 Trailblazers, 60 Chief, 65 Interceptor, 2004 Bullet, 612 Bullet chopped.

GreenForce82

• Frank The TECH
  • Grease Monkey
  • The Dude Abides
Reply #3 on: August 18, 2013, 09:14:42 pm
Actually I was mistaken, it was multi purpose ford/chevy atf from OReilly. And yeah I overfilled it cuz I coulda swore I heard fill it thru the top hole til it about runs out...  Ill drain it and see if that helps...

But does anyone think I blew a seal or something that it would be leaking out of the frickin gear box. And at that, do I need to take the gearbox cover off and clean and re lube that wirh gear lube?

Many thanks... To to ya all!

My poor new blacked out exhaust is all covered in frickin atf splatter.... 
"Counted his friends in burned-out spark plugs
and prays that he always will.

But he's the last of the blue blood greaser boys all of his mates are doing time:

Married with three kids up by the ring road
sold their souls straight down the line.

mrunderhill1975a

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: August 19, 2013, 04:18:03 am
With that much ATF in the primary, the oil could travel along clutch rod and ball bearing and then dribble out the bottom of the gearbox outer cover.  If the pressure were relieved that way, I doubt that you have blown any seals, you may have washed out the grease in the clutch rod tube, if so, you may want to withdraw the clutch rod through the right side and squeeze some grease into the tube.