Author Topic: Small Battery For Right Side Case - Kick Only  (Read 7075 times)

Buckeroo

• Bulleteer
Reply #15 on: September 21, 2013, 03:07:17 am
This may be a little late, but I have been researching using a Lithium Iron Battery made by Shorai.  The response I got when I asked them about my 2008 Re was use a LFX14L5-BS12, SHORAI LFX Lithium-Iron Powersports battery, 14Ah PbEq 12V eq, "L" polarity, Case Type 5 Length 5.28" Width 3.15" Height 6.30", Cranking CCA (A): 210.  $159.95
This bike was stored for 3.5 years.  It had fallen on its side for awhile. I claimed it about a year and a half ago. Thus the low miles and inexperienced owner.
2008 Bullet Electra Classic 500
Classic Frame and AVL motor
Electric Start
Electronic Ignition
5 speed
CV Carb

DanB

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #16 on: September 21, 2013, 03:21:54 am
I'm like'n it!! 
Suppose I were an idiot, and suppose I were a member of Congress; but I repeat myself. ... Mark Twain
2006 AVL Electra

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
  • Everybody's havin' them dreams
Reply #17 on: September 21, 2013, 02:39:41 pm
This may be a little late, but I have been researching using a Lithium Iron Battery made by Shorai.  The response I got when I asked them about my 2008 Re was use a LFX14L5-BS12, SHORAI LFX Lithium-Iron Powersports battery, 14Ah PbEq 12V eq, "L" polarity, Case Type 5 Length 5.28" Width 3.15" Height 6.30", Cranking CCA (A): 210.  $159.95

ION. Lithium ION.

Why in the world does this bike need a $160.00 battery? Is it going to the moon? Mongolia? Antarctica? I don't get it. Just because it's there? Like 80 inch television screens?

Sorry. I just don't get it. What's next? A Noo Kyu Ler powered battery?
RI USA '08 Black AVL Classic.9.8:1 ACEhead/manifold/canister. TM32/Open bottle/hot tube removed. Pertronix Coil. Fed mandates removed. Gr.TCI. Bobber seat. Battery in right side case. Decomp&all doodads removed. '30s Lucas taillight/7" visored headlight. Much blackout & wire/electrical upgrades.

Buckeroo

• Bulleteer
Reply #18 on: September 26, 2013, 10:36:51 pm
Sorry dude, but it's advertised as Shorai Lithium IRON battery.  I know that there are Lithium Ion batteries also.  There are folks on this site that spend a lot of money on rebuilding the engines on this site.  I would spend extra bucks on a battery if I could mount it sideways in a small place.  Do some reading on this battery before criticizing.
           ION. Lithium ION.

Why in the world does this bike need a $160.00 battery? Is it going to the moon? Mongolia? Antarctica? I don't get it. Just because it's there? Like 80 inch television screens?

Sorry. I just don't get it. What's next? A Noo Kyu Ler powered battery?
This bike was stored for 3.5 years.  It had fallen on its side for awhile. I claimed it about a year and a half ago. Thus the low miles and inexperienced owner.
2008 Bullet Electra Classic 500
Classic Frame and AVL motor
Electric Start
Electronic Ignition
5 speed
CV Carb

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #19 on: September 26, 2013, 11:07:45 pm
Sorry dude, but it's advertised as Shorai Lithium IRON battery.  I know that there are Lithium Ion batteries also.  There are folks on this site that spend a lot of money on rebuilding the engines on this site.  I would spend extra bucks on a battery if I could mount it sideways in a small place.  Do some reading on this battery before criticizing.

Sorry. I usually know when to keep my mouth shut. I f*&ked up. I apologize, but only if you never call me dude (or bro).
RI USA '08 Black AVL Classic.9.8:1 ACEhead/manifold/canister. TM32/Open bottle/hot tube removed. Pertronix Coil. Fed mandates removed. Gr.TCI. Bobber seat. Battery in right side case. Decomp&all doodads removed. '30s Lucas taillight/7" visored headlight. Much blackout & wire/electrical upgrades.

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Ride In Paradise Cabo, Don and Ernie
Reply #20 on: September 26, 2013, 11:36:58 pm
 Is the battery Lithium Ion (Li-ion or LIB, Lithium Ion Polymer (Li-poly, Li-Pol, LiPo,), or lithium iron phosphate (LiFePO 4) ?

No matter where you go, there, you are.

RP McMurphy

• Scooter
Reply #21 on: September 27, 2013, 02:35:22 am
Hey, quick question for all that have tried this-- am I going to have problems overdrawing the battery if I'm running the 7" headlight and bullet signals? I'm pretty sure mine is the deluxe model.

-RP

Superchuck

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #22 on: September 27, 2013, 03:12:40 am
From what I gather, the only thing that you have to worry about is if you're running an electric start.  If you have a kick-only bike you should be fine running basically anything (besides heated grips, etc), and can use pretty much any battery (within reason).  Mine is for a 50cc dirtbike to put it in perspective.

I have the 7" headlight, and although I just switched all my signals to LED's, I added resistors so they still draw as much current as the stock incandescent bulbs.  I'll be adding some decorative LED's shortly, and I'm not worried about it whatsoever. 

That said, if my bike is on, but not idling, there is very little power going to the lights/etc... headlight dims a bit and turn signals will light but not always blink.  The small battery is to get my bike running, and from that point on the bike is essentially powering itself.

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #23 on: September 27, 2013, 12:24:24 pm
Hey, quick question for all that have tried this-- am I going to have problems overdrawing the battery if I'm running the 7" headlight and bullet signals? I'm pretty sure mine is the deluxe model.
-RP

Classic has painted gas tank.
          Deluxe has chrome gas tank

Machismo

• Scooter
Reply #24 on: September 28, 2013, 05:48:28 pm

-RP
The AVL's alternator produces 196W of power. I use a 55/60W halogen and it just runs fine.
As long as the battery gets enough charge, no problem whatsoever.

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #25 on: September 28, 2013, 10:23:20 pm
The AVL's alternator produces 196W of power. I use a 55/60W halogen and it just runs fine.
As long as the battery gets enough charge, no problem whatsoever.

Just for shit & giggles while I was on a ride today I tried the electric start with the little battery at one of my stops. Worked just fine. Turned 901.6 - looks like I'll make my 1,000 before the snow flies. Didn't think I would. And it's running amazingly well.

Machismo

• Scooter
Reply #26 on: September 30, 2013, 06:44:57 pm
           Just for shit & giggles while I was on a ride today I tried the electric start with the little battery at one of my stops. Worked just fine. Turned 901.6 - looks like I'll make my 1,000 before the snow flies. Didn't think I would. And it's running amazingly well.
Happy kilo tooseevee :)
I used a lot of 'breakfast' rides(sometimes turn into beerfast rides) to complete the running in. Short, nice and sweet rides!