Author Topic: so close  (Read 1295 times)

RGT

• Grand Gearhead
  • '94 350 Bullet
on: August 16, 2013, 02:24:19 pm
So I have been assembling my Fireball that I built in South Africa here in the USofA and been installing it in an '03 Classic Bullet that I found/bought via David Blaco's sight and Craig'slist that had a blown engine. I was ready to start it today thanks to Ace for getting me some parts in a hurry and Ice for swapping me an ES inner primary cover for the KS inner I needed but as I crossed the 50ft/lbs of torque on way to the hundred that the cranknut needs the nut went "Pop" and separated from the shouldered feature that slides under and locates the alternator rotor/magnet. So unfortunately, unless someone reading this has an extra in the Boston to Southern NH area, I will have to park the bike unfired and ridden until next year as I leave Sunday to go back to Belgium.

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #1 on: August 16, 2013, 03:52:48 pm
I know why that happened. :(

The alternator nut only gets 40 ft-lbs.
It's the crankpin nut that holds the crankpin(big-end pin) into the flywheels for the con rod bearing that gets 100 ft-lbs. You only have to do that when you are re-assembling the crankshaft after doing a rod bearing replacement.

Sorry Roger.
But thankfully, it seems that it was only the nut that was broken?

Home of the Fireball 535 !

RGT

• Grand Gearhead
  • '94 350 Bullet
Reply #2 on: August 16, 2013, 06:02:25 pm
Oops! guess I have been working on the Harley too much.

ERC

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: August 16, 2013, 07:02:57 pm
Hope you didn't twist the shaft any and the threads are ok.   ERC
2-57 Apaches, 2-57 Trailblazers, 60 Chief, 65 Interceptor, 2004 Bullet, 612 Bullet chopped.

RGT

• Grand Gearhead
  • '94 350 Bullet
Reply #4 on: August 16, 2013, 09:46:03 pm
threads are fine and I was holding the rotor/magnet with an oil filter wrench so there was no loading on the crank. Sometimes I am my own worst enemy...but the bike is now stored away with very little to do to make it rideable for next summer....