Author Topic: foamy oil & black smoke  (Read 6637 times)

D the D

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #30 on: August 22, 2013, 11:12:14 pm
Try what bill said.  Mine stuck shortly after I got it.  I had to clean the Comp Release valve and lube the cable.  The Comp Release valve takes a 21mm wrench to unscrew from the head.
Just use your fingers to see if you can push it up and down.  It may be stuck down/open.
'07 Iron Barrel Military (Deceased 14 September, 2013)
2014 Yamaha Bolt R Spec V-Twin
1975 XLCH

Khecari

• Scooter
Reply #31 on: August 23, 2013, 06:30:01 pm
I'm getting increasingly skeptical of the diagnosis.  When I parked it to fix the oil leak, it had compression - it may have been already low but it was certainly running.  I can't see any way that it could lose that much compression while not running.  Certainly not lose compression via lathing the cylinder.  Also before parking I was running it on low oil but it had maybe a liter of oil in it - could that have been low enough to allow lathing of the cylinder?

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #32 on: August 24, 2013, 04:31:59 am
Ummmm...  Did you read all the previous posts?   ???  It's a good possibility that the decompression valve is stuck open.  You need to look at it.  And put in a new NGK spark plug too.

Scottie
2001 Harley Davidson Road King

Khecari

• Scooter
Reply #33 on: August 24, 2013, 02:28:09 pm
Sorry - I was unclear.  I meant I was skeptical of the "lathed cylinder" diagnosis, which came from the guy at the place where I had it towed.  I did read the posts about the decompression valve, which sounds a lot more plausible to me.  He did say he checked that but we'll see.  I'm headed down there today to look at it with him. 

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #34 on: August 24, 2013, 03:54:06 pm
Not to discredit ANY mechanic, but Enfileds are a breed of their own.  I've been turning wrenches for 17 years on all kinds of cars, bikes, lawn mowers, tractors and other farm equipment, and my Enfield has stumped me a few times and without the help of this forum (Brother ERC in particular) I may not have ever got the bike running.  At least, not as fast as I did.  What I'm getting at is if YOUR mechanic hasn't ever worked on an RE, he may not have a clue to what he is doing with YOUR bike (Enfield) and just making random assumptions based on what knowledge he has of other bikes.  If this is the case, at this point, you're probably more aware of what the actual problem might be more than your mechanic.  Just saying.

Scottie
2001 Harley Davidson Road King

ERC

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #35 on: August 24, 2013, 08:32:30 pm
Your giving me a big head Scotty.   :-[  ERC
2-57 Apaches, 2-57 Trailblazers, 60 Chief, 65 Interceptor, 2004 Bullet, 612 Bullet chopped.