Author Topic: throttle cable adjustment screw  (Read 2100 times)

easy-v

• Scooter
on: August 24, 2013, 06:02:59 pm
Hey all,

I had to replace my throttle cable adjustment screw on the mikcarb vm28 cause it had broken off. I'm now replacing it but just wanted to confirm if the top part of this screw is suppose to be clamped onto the throttle cable, thereby making it the adjustment screw. Doesn't seem to do this very easily, so I thought I'd ask first. Perhaps my cable is not correct or does it indeed require some force?

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: August 24, 2013, 07:16:47 pm
Typically there is a jam nut under that adjustable collar for the cable.  Yes, that is one of the adjusters that can be used to adjust the slack.  You want 1/8-1/4" of play in the cable in the throttle grip.  As far as it being difficult to move, the threads may be damaged on the carb or  possibly they have different threads.  Was the replacement specifically for that carb?

Scottie
2001 Harley Davidson Road King

ERC

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #2 on: August 24, 2013, 08:17:57 pm
Scotty's right they generally have a nut on the threads to lock it in place. If you don't have room to get enough free play in the cable with the nut that should be on there leave it off. If you still don't have the right play as Scotty suggests then the cable is wrong.. ERC
« Last Edit: August 24, 2013, 08:25:32 pm by ERC »
2-57 Apaches, 2-57 Trailblazers, 60 Chief, 65 Interceptor, 2004 Bullet, 612 Bullet chopped.

D the D

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: August 24, 2013, 09:24:01 pm
It doesn't "clamp" on the cable cover (or end) either.  The cable end just fits down into the hole.  Tension of the carb spring pulling on the inside cable holds it in place.  If it slides up and down a lot, then your cable is not adjusted enough or the cable is too long.
You screw the adjuster out of the carb to tighten and then use the locknut to keep it from changing on it's own.
'07 Iron Barrel Military (Deceased 14 September, 2013)
2014 Yamaha Bolt R Spec V-Twin
1975 XLCH

easy-v

• Scooter
Reply #4 on: August 24, 2013, 11:51:29 pm
d the d, erc and scotte, thanks a lot.

Sorry for the hasty post, i should have connected it first. Once i hooked it up with the spring and the slide , it became clear it doesn't clamp on anything. It did adjust with that screw and i was able to allow for just a slight bit of play. thanks again..