Author Topic: cleaning exhaust Pipe and Muffler  (Read 1942 times)

Buckeroo

• Bulleteer
on: August 14, 2013, 04:23:05 pm
Probably as a result from my mismanagement on the first 5000 miles of this bike, I have an exhaust pipe and muffler that has an oil stain on the muffler and discoloration of the pipe.  Have any of you knowledge of how to restore the pipe and muffler to its original chrome finish?  Or am I left to replacing the entire system?  It's not rusted, just splotchy. :-\
This bike was stored for 3.5 years.  It had fallen on its side for awhile. I claimed it about a year and a half ago. Thus the low miles and inexperienced owner.
2008 Bullet Electra Classic 500
Classic Frame and AVL motor
Electric Start
Electronic Ignition
5 speed
CV Carb

greenie

• Scooter
Reply #1 on: August 14, 2013, 04:40:57 pm
you might try some 000 or 0000 steel wool. works fairly well on chrome.
95 ural tourist w/ 98 motor (650)
06 electra

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #2 on: August 14, 2013, 05:17:11 pm
Westley's Chrome Brite works very well. It may need a little mechanical backup to get the hard bits off, but it'll definitely give you a nice polish.
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Ride In Paradise Cabo, Don and Ernie
Reply #3 on: August 18, 2013, 07:11:36 am
Blue buster is what I used on the pretty bike. Works as advertised.
No matter where you go, there, you are.

Chuck D

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: August 18, 2013, 12:12:33 pm
Kerosene and fine steel wool work for me.
Ace "Fireball"#10 (Beefy the Bullet to her friends.)
 "Featherbed" frame by Rofomoto.

2017 Triumph T120

Buckeroo

• Bulleteer
Reply #5 on: August 19, 2013, 09:40:47 pm
Thanks for the advice.  All those pictures of shiny bikes makes me feel shabby.
This bike was stored for 3.5 years.  It had fallen on its side for awhile. I claimed it about a year and a half ago. Thus the low miles and inexperienced owner.
Electric Start
Electronic Ignition
5 speed
CV Carb

Buckeroo

• Bulleteer
Reply #6 on: August 25, 2013, 03:59:51 pm
I thought I would tack this comment on here instead of starting a new one.  I have been looking at replacing my pipe with a different bend of pipe.  I am not happy about how the pipe crosses right in front of the oil cap. But all the replacement pipes I see in catalogs do not come with the flanges for attaching the pipe to the head that my stock pipe does.  Am I expected to weld these flanges on myself?
Electric Start
Electronic Ignition
5 speed
CV Carb

D the D

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #7 on: August 25, 2013, 05:55:37 pm
I thought I would tack this comment on here instead of starting a new one.  I have been looking at replacing my pipe with a different bend of pipe.  I am not happy about how the pipe crosses right in front of the oil cap. But all the replacement pipes I see in catalogs do not come with the flanges for attaching the pipe to the head that my stock pipe does.  Am I expected to weld these flanges on myself?
You just need to make sure the pipe is for an AVL engine.  Sometimes the pic (as at out host's NField Gear website) is generic and you have choices to choose from.

Before spending money on a pipe try this:  I purchased a bronze bearing sleeve the correct internal diameter to use as a spacer under the first bracket near the head.  It cost maybe $1.50 at Home Depot.  That was enough to clear the oil filter housing and it doesn't look out of place on a bullet.
'07 Iron Barrel Military (Deceased 14 September, 2013)
2014 Yamaha Bolt R Spec V-Twin
1975 XLCH

Buckeroo

• Bulleteer
Reply #8 on: August 25, 2013, 06:36:34 pm
okay, thanks, I'll look for that item.  I guess that I will have to seal it with the Permatex ultra black or copper that I have read elsewhere?
Electric Start
Electronic Ignition
5 speed
CV Carb