Author Topic: My head hurts  (Read 5218 times)

bullhead

• Scooter
on: August 13, 2013, 01:06:37 pm
So after trawling the entire universe i still cant find a wiring diagram that looks like mine. I cant even find a simple one for a chopper or scrambler with lights. Now to make things worse after i described it to somebody they say it sounds like a 6v not 12v(mine has a 12v battery on it). Can anyone tell me what mine is? It has the ignition on the tool box, a 3 wire alternator, a unit in the other tool box that i presume is the regulator/rectifier(6 wires on it 3 yellow, red, green, black), single old style coil and a 12v battery. Its a 1991 500 Bullet. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Sye

RGT

• Grand Gearhead
  • '94 350 Bullet
Reply #1 on: August 13, 2013, 01:22:29 pm
When I got my grey market 350 it was a 6 volt system, the alternator can be used for 12 volts and work fine, as I understand it it has heavier windings and may be preferred. My bike was also positive ground when I got it, I switched to a Boyer Powerbox in converting my bike to 12 volts and negative ground. Have you checked the Hitchcocks website for a wiring diagram? Are all the bulbs in the bike 12v? Thinking back I think the only way to tell if the bike was negative ground was by how the rectifier stack is wired into the bike and that can be changed quite easily. I had wanted to run withouth a battery which is why I went with the Powerbox but ended up running a battery anyways....I believe the owners manual for my bike had a wiring diagram, you should be able to find one. (my bike had been registered as a '94 but should not have still had 6 volt pos. ground electrics if that were true so it may have been an older bike that was "rebuilt" before the owner shipped it out of India and that would explain all the different model year parts my bike had)

bullhead

• Scooter
Reply #2 on: August 13, 2013, 09:17:01 pm
Thanks for the reply. I rang Hitchcocks today and told him what i knew about the loom. He said that the colour coding on the wires means nothing and if he had 10 bikes there all of the same year none would be the same!!!! The diagram for the 1991 shows it to be negative earth. What was throwing me was that i had red wires going to the earthing bolt. Also no diagram has the green, light green and yellow coming from the alternator. None show the three yellow and red/green/black coming from the rectifier/regulator.After a good look around the bike i can find no wire or number of wires that match any diagram. Hitchcocks told me i could try the loom for my year but couldn't guarantee anything or send them mine and they would try and match it. I am surprised there isn't a trials, chopper or scrambler simplified wiring diagram out there. Ive decided to make a copy of the one that is on it removing any old wires the last owner cut or disconnected.

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Ride In Paradise Cabo, Don and Ernie
Reply #3 on: August 13, 2013, 10:27:00 pm
These may not match what you have but may be of some help.
No matter where you go, there, you are.

bullhead

• Scooter
Reply #4 on: August 14, 2013, 09:42:05 am
Thanks i will have a look at these  ;)