Author Topic: Kick Start Arm Modidication  (Read 2170 times)

oldsalt

• Bulleteer
on: June 16, 2008, 06:46:10 am
After doing a little off the blacktop riding it became evident that , for me, the foot pegs should be further toward the rear.  To move the right side peg rearward it would be nice if the kick start arm was moved inboard as far as possible to give a little more foot room.  As a megaphone exhaust was put on the bike it is possible, due to its narrower cross section in that area, to tuck in in even more than with the stock exhaust system.  The attached photo shows the kick start arm, after being notched at top and bottom, bent to its new shape.  The arrows point to the cuts.  The cuts were then welded up and the chrome stripped off.  Tomorrow it will be ground and polished and re-plated.  I am fortunate to have a small plating set-up in the basement so the cost will be almost zero.  With that detail complete the pegs should be able to be moved at least a couple of inches rearward.  

[old attachment deleted by admin]
-2006 Sixty-5
-1941 Knuckle
-Lotza Mini Bikes
-67 Triumph 500
-46 Hiawatha
-67 Triumph 650

oldsalt

• Bulleteer
Reply #1 on: June 17, 2008, 07:06:20 am
Here is the completed kick starter arm.  It is now tucked inboard as far as possible.  Probably hard to tell with just one picture but the pegs have been moved back more than two inches.  The foot peg forgings were cut and rotated around and re-welded and etc. to get them moved.  I tried the bike out this evening before it got dark, and yes, it is easier [for me] to quickly stand on the pegs with them in the new position.  I'm not as strong and nimble as I might once have been so it is a substanual help.   On rough ground it can be very helpful to be able quickly get you butt off the seat.  It remains to be seen if it has affected the comfort when riding for an extended time on blacktop.  I can see why the RE 500 single was a desireable dirt bike in the 50s.       

[old attachment deleted by admin]
-2006 Sixty-5
-1941 Knuckle
-Lotza Mini Bikes
-67 Triumph 500
-46 Hiawatha
-67 Triumph 650

LotusSevenMan

• Grand Gearhead
  • ...._[:]@==<
Reply #2 on: June 17, 2008, 10:13:15 pm
I can see why the RE 500 single was a desireable dirt bike in the 50s.  

All about torque eh?

;D
If it ain't broke-------------------------- fix it 'till it is!

Royal Enfield Miltary 500cc  (2003)
Honda VTR FireStorm (SuperHawk) 996cc 'V' twin
Kawasaki KR1 250cc twin 'stroker
Ducati 916 'L' twin

oldsalt

• Bulleteer
Reply #3 on: June 18, 2008, 04:06:44 am
I can see why the RE 500 single was a desireable dirt bike in the 50s.  

All about torque eh?

;D

I don't intend to do any brush bashing with the bike, however, ther are so many miles of dirt road on the eastern side of Washington that a full exploration of the area demands that some fairly rough, unimproved roads be transversed.  The state only spends money on blacktop in the western side of Washington where the nice people live.  Really, haveing the pegs a little further back helps me get on the pegs with a lot less effort.     
-2006 Sixty-5
-1941 Knuckle
-Lotza Mini Bikes
-67 Triumph 500
-46 Hiawatha
-67 Triumph 650