Author Topic: Top Speed  (Read 2965 times)

buddyeal

• Scooter
on: August 12, 2013, 09:36:53 pm
How fast will the 500cc Bullets really go?  I heard they ride best at 55-60 and anything over that it's shaky. 
I appreciate any feedback. 
Thanks

Mike_D

• Bulleteer
Reply #1 on: August 12, 2013, 11:48:26 pm
Hi buddy,

There are heaps of threads where this has been talked to death.  Try the search function.  The new ones will be able to handle higher speeds more easily.  Personally, my 2003 Iron Barrel with a 32mm Mikuni carb and 18tooth sprocket will do 60mph easily and happily though I generally keep it 50-55.  I've had it up to 70mph with no complaints (just to see if it would) but will probably never do that again.  For whatever reason mine has very low vibrations.  They are all different.

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Ride In Paradise Cabo, Don and Ernie
Reply #2 on: August 13, 2013, 03:00:21 am
How fast will the 500cc Bullets really go?  I heard they ride best at 55-60 and anything over that it's shaky. 
I appreciate any feedback. 
Thanks

If your talking about the Iron Barrel engine discontinued in 2009, 40-55mph happy cruise and 80-ish top speed (but not for long)

The 2009 and later UCE is happiest at 50-65. Yes It is anvil tough and can sustain high speeds indefinitely but I ask, why ? when normal legal speed is more than enough to get somewhere.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2013, 03:02:26 am by Ice »
No matter where you go, there, you are.

ROVERMAN

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: August 13, 2013, 01:58:33 pm
As others have stated, 70 is about max, between 50 - 60 is nirvana!

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #4 on: August 13, 2013, 11:07:20 pm
According to my new "used" advertising brochure, the 500cc Iron barrel sold in the US had 22 BHP at the crankshaft.  It had a top speed of 75 mph

It doesn't mention that if the iron cylinder engine was pushed to that speed and held there on a hot day, piston seizure was likely to happen but it sometimes did (does).
These older iron barrel powered bikes enjoy putting down the road at about 50 mph and at that speed they can go for hours, unless big hills are in the way.

I don't have any data on the AVL lean burn powered bikes but they were about the same power as the iron barrel.  They do have a sleeved aluminum cylinder that dissipates heat much better, a steel connecting rod riding on a roller bearing in the big end and a gear oil pump to deliver better oil flow.  I'm sure the 75 mph is much more doable with this model and cruising at 60 mph should be no problem.

The 500cc UCE bikes are rated at 27.2 BHP at the crank and their top speed is listed at 82 mph.
They can easily cruise at 65-70 mph for hours although a 6 percent grade will slow them down to about 50 mph.  Even climbing those hills at WOT didn't seem to really overheat my G5 on my 200 mile long trips to Northern Arizona. :)

As for the high speed handling it seems to only affect the 2009- 2011 C5 and not all of them have a problem.  In 2012, Royal Enfield redesigned the front fork and changed the front tire from 18" to 19".  I haven't heard of anyone riding the new models complain about high speed wobbles.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2013, 11:09:43 pm by Arizoni »
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

Buckeroo

• Bulleteer
Reply #5 on: August 14, 2013, 05:44:27 pm
My AVL putts along happily 55-60.  I have had it up to 75 passing, but would not want to keep there long.  I have putted up and down hills for hours until I can't sit anymore.  With no load (except me) I have experienced no lugging on hills.  It seems to be a very forgiving machine, but it is not fast.  I've had it on the freeway and it just doesn't feel good there.  There are some speed demons here that can make it go faster, but it will never be a 180mph crotch rocket.
This bike was stored for 3.5 years.  It had fallen on its side for awhile. I claimed it about a year and a half ago. Thus the low miles and inexperienced owner.
2008 Bullet Electra Classic 500
Classic Frame and AVL motor
Electric Start
Electronic Ignition
5 speed
CV Carb

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #6 on: August 15, 2013, 03:59:55 am
..........  There are some speed demons here that can make it go faster, but it will never be a 180mph crotch rocket.

Ummm,  US "sport" vehicles are governed at 186mph.    ;)   But the fastest I've ever gone was 164mph on a new (at the time) '04 Ninja ZX6RR.  There was still a bit of motor left too.  Fastest I've clocked on the Blackhawk is 89mph.

Scottie
2001 Harley Davidson Road King

bullethead63

• Grand Gearhead
  • "Run what ya brung..." Paul Saint Clair
Reply #7 on: August 15, 2013, 04:30:45 am
My three Bullets are happiest at 45-50 MPH,however,I've had them all past 70 MPH (indicated)...the previous owner of my 2000 rode it back and forth to and from work,on Interstate 10,and he swore that it would do 70-75 MPH all day long...BUT...it's far from stock,with higher lift cams,an 8.5:1, higher compression piston,taller gears for less low-end torque,and higher cruising speeds,and a RF shift Albion gearbox,as God,The Queen,and Tony Wilson-Jones intended...I have no doubt that she'll do it,but these fine motorbikes were designed for English B-roads,in the 1940's and 1950's,when there was no need to go faster than 50MPH...BTW,70+ on a Bullet feels like you're breaking the TON...and Avon Speedmasters,and Safetymileage tyres are NOT what I'd want to be on,going that fast...new,modern formula Dunlop K70's would make me feel a bit safer,especially in the rain...
1959 Royal Enfield/Indian Chief 700~(RED)~1999 Bullet Deluxe 500 KS~(BLUE)~2000  Bullet Classic 500 KS~(WHITE)~2002 Bullet Classic 500 ES~(GREEN)~1973 Triumph Tiger 750~(BLUE & WHITE)~Ride-Wrench-Repeat~your results may vary~void where prohibited by law~batteries not included~some assembly required~

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Ride In Paradise Cabo, Don and Ernie
Reply #8 on: August 15, 2013, 05:09:41 am
There are some speed demons here that can make it go faster, but it will never be a 180mph crotch rocket.

True on both.

While other bikes may clock faster top speeds, the Bullet is IMHO hands down the worlds quickest bike bar none.

Mine went from zero to obsession in 3.2 milliseconds.
 ;D  ;)
No matter where you go, there, you are.

single

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #9 on: August 18, 2013, 10:37:16 pm
I don't know how fast Jolly will go,whatever it is ,it is fast enough,my abilities considered.There is no way to tell as the speedo is an idiot.
But Jolly will run right up to whatever IT is,and seems purty happy to do it.I would say that Jolly will gain speed noticeably.