Author Topic: Slipping out of gear?  (Read 2726 times)

Royal Stargazer

• I have no idea what I'm doing.
  • Grease Monkey
on: August 11, 2013, 11:49:32 pm
Twice today I've been happily cruising around in fourth gear, and the bike suddenly slipped into neutral. Although the first time took some hunting, I was able to shift back into gear. The second time was a little smoother. A quick stomp on the shifter is all it took.

Is this another break in quirk that I'll have to put up with for a few hundred miles, or should I be concerned?
2020 Royal Enfield Continental GT, A racer for more than just cafes
2005 Volvo S60 2.5T AWD, Two doors too many
2003 Royal Enfield Bullet, two-wheeled time machine

Royalista

• phaneropter
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: August 12, 2013, 12:00:26 am
False neutrals are not uncommon. The gear change must be done fairly decisive, push well through. If not it might not be in gear or just barely and get out again, just as you experienced.
But it is easily avoided. And changes will be smoother with use and as time progresses.
moriunt omnes pauci vivunt

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Ride In Paradise Cabo, Don and Ernie
Reply #2 on: August 12, 2013, 12:15:53 am
The transmission get better with break in.
No matter where you go, there, you are.

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: August 12, 2013, 07:18:23 pm
For whatever reason fourth gear takes a little more lever stroke to get completely in gear. It'll get better as you ride it and learn to compensate for the difference in the shifting pattern. This is a machine that the two of you have to learn to compensate for each others' foibles. Kinda like a marriage!
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #4 on: August 12, 2013, 09:03:51 pm
How many miles on the clock?

Scott

Royal Stargazer

• I have no idea what I'm doing.
  • Grease Monkey
Reply #5 on: August 12, 2013, 11:12:58 pm
About 270, so my first oil change is right around the corner. I'm not concerned about the false neutrals. I can deal with those, but when I fall right out of gear I get a little worried.
2020 Royal Enfield Continental GT, A racer for more than just cafes
2005 Volvo S60 2.5T AWD, Two doors too many
2003 Royal Enfield Bullet, two-wheeled time machine

AussieDave

• Grand Gearhead
  • How does this thing work?..Ouch..oh..
Reply #6 on: August 13, 2013, 07:25:47 am
FWIW my g5 used to do that but stopped at about 2000k.
"Glorious,stirring sight! The poetry of motion! The real way to travel! The only way to travel! ... O bliss ! O poop poop ! Oh my! Oh my!" - Toad of Toad Hall.

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #7 on: August 13, 2013, 07:50:29 am
It may seem to be fully engaged but actually isn't.  Sometimes that's a false neutral, sometimes that's rolling along and it pops out of gear.  Fourth gear is a bit longer of a throw, as mentioned.

Be slow and deliberate with your shifts for the first 1000 miles and it will probably stop happening.  Always a goid idea but more important when its new. Also, make sure your clutch free play is set correctly and go to a full synthetic oil.  Both of these things help your transmission shift as well as it can.

270 is pretty low miles, don't worry too much yet ;)

Scott

jammydodger

• Scooter
Reply #8 on: August 13, 2013, 09:43:04 am
I had the same experience at first, I was hitting false neautrals as well as it slipping it out of gear. When I told the inlaw before he went out for a ride what issues I had, he came back experiencing none of what I had. He's had a Enfield since the 60's and I imagine it's a rider education/experience thing with the bike. After a few months of riding the bike now I do experience false neautrals and slipping out of gear a lot less now.

J

waterboy

• Scooter
Reply #9 on: August 13, 2013, 02:44:00 pm
« Last Edit: April 01, 2014, 05:16:58 pm by waterboy »