Author Topic: hose from airbox  (Read 1933 times)

easy-v

• Scooter
on: August 10, 2013, 07:02:38 pm
Hi all,  another newbie question

I had taken my bike for service at a shop that specialized in enfields, and are now gone, about 18 months ago. Among many fixes, they installed the stock chrome airbox I gave them, which came with the stock airfilter inside. On the other side of this box is that hole (opposite from intake hose to carb) and they attached a hose to it. In the pic, you can see where I have the hose sticking out on the other side. Is this where it should/can be? should I remove this hose or just leave it? I presume this doesn't need to be attached to anything else since my air filter is not in the toolbox, like some bullets have (?)  Thanks a lot

2003 Bullet 4-speed 500es

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #1 on: August 10, 2013, 08:49:55 pm
That looks to be where the PAV system would be located. I suppose that your year bike had a PAV.
The whole PAV can be easily removed, and all holes blocked off.
There is a special nut to cap off the PAV bung on the exhaust header.
Home of the Fireball 535 !

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Ride In Paradise Cabo, Don and Ernie
Reply #2 on: August 10, 2013, 08:58:28 pm
 The hose in the pic looks like it would be the one that ran from the round style catch can to the air filter box as was standard on my '06.  The purpose of which was to feed crank case vapors into the carb.

I'm not sure if the catch can used in '03 was the square one, mounted under the battery or the round one mounted up high just under the seat aft of the battery like mine. 
No matter where you go, there, you are.

D the D

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: August 10, 2013, 10:52:46 pm
You need to remove the hose and cap the nipple on the air box.  You're sucking unfiltered air into your engine through it.
'07 Iron Barrel Military (Deceased 14 September, 2013)
2014 Yamaha Bolt R Spec V-Twin
1975 XLCH

easy-v

• Scooter
Reply #4 on: August 13, 2013, 12:21:18 am
Thanks all.  Actually, the previous owner had a dirty and bent KN filter on there (along with a bigger carb). The bike was barely running, which is why I had the complete servicing done then.

So it was me who actually purchased the stock chrome airbox and filter for the shop to replace while they did a complete servicing. They must have put the hose on there for it but just left it there. (They also replaced the carb with the stock one.)

I removed that hose from the airbox now, and there's just that nipple on the side to be capped. I imagine I'll just put some electrical tape over it for now(?), unless a proper cap for this exists?

D the D

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: August 13, 2013, 01:55:21 am
Any autoparts store will have a vacuum cap that size.
'07 Iron Barrel Military (Deceased 14 September, 2013)
2014 Yamaha Bolt R Spec V-Twin
1975 XLCH

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Ride In Paradise Cabo, Don and Ernie
Reply #6 on: August 13, 2013, 02:51:38 am
+1

And if there are no auto parts stores nearby you should be able to find them in Hillman drawers at ACE, Tru Value, and Home Depot.
No matter where you go, there, you are.