Author Topic: Belgian camaraderie in France !!  (Read 2761 times)

palace15

• Bulleteer
on: August 09, 2013, 02:34:54 pm
I decided to take a short trip over to France, I got a late afternoon boat from Dover, not really an ideal time as you are limited to the amount of riding you can do before dark. It was a lovely evening and I set the ‘Tomtom’ for Boulogne and the ‘winding roads’ option, and settled down for a nice pleasant ride, after a while I felt a slight twitch from the back-end of the machine and at first thought nothing of it as I was loaded with camping gear, a while later the same again, so I stopped to investigate and yes, a rear wheel puncture, had one before on this bike in Wales and remembered the difficulty then, Avon roadriders are great to ride on but don’t give a lot of feedback when deflated.   I had what I thought all the tools needed to sort this out myself and firstly I tried to re-inflate the tyre with the electric pump but it would have none of it, so I removed the wheel and then the fun started, I could not ‘break’ the bead of the tyre from the wheel rim.
I realised I was going to need help and phoned the European recovery firm whose cover I get via my Carol Nash bike policy, my problem was giving a location, Tomtom said I was on the D232 heading towards the D238, I even gave the   longitude latitude co-ordinates and was told assistance would be approximately 90 minutes and they would help fix roadside, now that would make the time around 2200hrs and it would be pretty dark by then, so I sat on one of my pannier boxes to begin the wait.
After sometime I saw what I thought was a ‘Mirage’ approaching from about 150 metres away, it was a Ural sidecar outfit, they pulled over to me and what was more astonishing was that both rider and passenger were both wearing the Royal Enfield France club badges! It turns out that both Rene and Noel are Belgians, and also know Henry Price and Tim from the UK British Bulleteers forum!  With Noel living in France, Rene was visiting him from Brussels, now between the 3 of us we got the tyre off the wheel and found a hole in the tube, the job was done mainly thanks to the large hammer! And long levers that Rene carried, the job was completed at about 2245 and just as I was refitting my panniers the recovery assistance turned up!! It was said that there was no campsite for me to go to and Noel said I was welcome to camp in his garden, when we got back to Noel’s house I met Noels and Rene’ wives Michele and Bridget, I was given a couple of beers, bread and French cheese and Michele offered that I could sleep in the house, I declined in favour of an open fronted storage shed in the garden, Noel put a camp bed in there for me and I fell asleep star gazing, before bed Noel announced that breakfast would be at 9am where the 5 of us tucked into croissants and baguette along with fine coffee. I am very grateful for the help and hospitality I received from these folk and hopefully they will let me repay their kindness at a rally or meet in the future as they would not allow me to do so at the time.
If you read this guys………………..Many thanks!!
You will always find that women that have lost thier virginity, still have the box it came in!

Royal Enfield, making mechanics out of owners since 1893.

palace15

• Bulleteer
Reply #1 on: August 09, 2013, 02:35:53 pm
A few more pictures!
You will always find that women that have lost thier virginity, still have the box it came in!

D the D

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #2 on: August 09, 2013, 02:41:10 pm
Cool!
'07 Iron Barrel Military (Deceased 14 September, 2013)
2014 Yamaha Bolt R Spec V-Twin
1975 XLCH

GreenMachine

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: August 09, 2013, 03:42:13 pm
palace15: Long time no hear but I see u up to your old tricks...you were lucky to encounter that mirage of 2 friendlies riding a Ural w/sidecar (Go figure they had enfield  shirts) ..Fortunate indeed u didn't damage that rear tire/rim lolly gagging down that country road without a care in the world....A negative became a positive that day.. By the way - That rear tire change is still a pain in the ass even with the proper spoons..Enfield/Ural riders are good people...Cheers GM
Oh Magoo you done it again

palace15

• Bulleteer
Reply #4 on: August 09, 2013, 04:03:53 pm
Yes, back again! I gave the Enfield a 'rest' and have been using one of the others, missed it so much I just had to get it out again and ride, hoping the Mitas tyre I have got for it will be easier to change as its not such a low profile, whilst full of air the roadrider was great!

boggy

• Grand Gearhead
  • Karma Ultra: 7
Reply #5 on: August 09, 2013, 07:13:26 pm
That is a great story - Nice to hear about the "best" of people for a change.  Thanks for posting that. 
2007 AVL
2006 DRZ400SM

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #6 on: August 09, 2013, 07:51:31 pm
Nice!

Palace15 - sorry if this is old hat, but I'm curious about your panniers!  Can you tell us about where you got them and how they are mounted?  Or perhaps there's a thread about it here somewhere you can point me to?

This is something I *really* want to do - take a nice long ride in the UK and Europe - oh well, some decade...
« Last Edit: August 09, 2013, 08:23:59 pm by mattsz »

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #7 on: August 10, 2013, 04:51:58 am
Very cool.  Thanks for sharing your ride!

Scottie
2001 Harley Davidson Road King

palace15

• Bulleteer
Reply #8 on: August 10, 2013, 09:52:40 am
Nice!

Palace15 - sorry if this is old hat, but I'm curious about your panniers!  Can you tell us about where you got them and how they are mounted?  Or perhaps there's a thread about it here somewhere you can point me to?

This is something I *really* want to do - take a nice long ride in the UK and Europe - oh well, some decade...

Hi Mattsz, They are 'Ardcases' and the guy who makes them is one of the most helpful around, nothing is too much trouble. http://ardcases.co.uk/ The loops are the same as Touratech use but on one of my bikes a friend fabricated a 18mm rectangle that works perfectly, as his tube bender would not make bends tight enough. If you require anymore details please do not hesitate to contact me.
Dave

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #9 on: August 11, 2013, 01:11:55 am
Fortunate indeed u didn't damage that rear tire/rim lolly gagging down that country road without a care in the world.

Over the last 50 years I have ridden many miles on flats on the road and in the bush and have never damaged a wheel. I've seen wheels get damaged when they are applying for a flat as in clobbering a sharp rock, though. Which came first, the flat or the ding!
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

1 Thump

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #10 on: August 22, 2013, 10:16:46 pm
I can bet Bill Harris has not read this, otherwise he would have said "Royal Enfield people are good people."