Author Topic: Polish and maintenance  (Read 1758 times)

jammydodger

• Scooter
on: August 09, 2013, 10:57:12 am
Hey

Just wanted to gauge people's experience with different types of maintenance routine. I’ve bought some AutoSol metal polish and use it on the exhaust and the RH/LH case.

It doesn’t seem to get rid of the blue on the exhaust and it only turns black when using it on the RH/LH case suggesting that it’s only really lifting up the tarnish on those parts.

Is there a better product to use?

Blairio

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: August 09, 2013, 01:32:46 pm
There are other paste-based metal polishes, but in my experience Solvol Autosol is easily the best. I also use Brasso from time to time on engine casings. It is less aggressive than Solvol, and comes as a tin of wadding soaked in Brasso, or in a bottle.

I understand that Exhaust bluing is a change in the chrome plate itself - it doesn't just affect the surface of the plating. It is part of the patina of age and use that bikes that get ridden on a regular basis will build up over time.

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
  • Everybody's havin' them dreams
Reply #2 on: August 09, 2013, 01:36:05 pm
Hey

Just wanted to gauge people's experience with different types of maintenance routine. I’ve bought some AutoSol metal polish and use it on the exhaust and the RH/LH case.

It doesn’t seem to get rid of the blue on the exhaust and it only turns black when using it on the RH/LH case suggesting that it’s only really lifting up the tarnish on those parts.

Is there a better product to use?

Here's one:
http://www.jpcycles.com/product/440-492?utm_source=PLAs&utm_medium=cpc&utm_term=&device=c&network=g&matchtype=&gclid=CLyR8dyu8LgCFZF7Qgod72oAUw

There are more. Google is your friend.

« Last Edit: August 09, 2013, 01:41:32 pm by tooseevee »
RI USA '08 Black AVL Classic.9.8:1 ACEhead/manifold/canister. TM32/Open bottle/hot tube removed. Pertronix Coil. Fed mandates removed. Gr.TCI. Bobber seat. Battery in right side case. Decomp&all doodads removed. '30s Lucas taillight/7" visored headlight. Much blackout & wire/electrical upgrades.

Bulletman

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2011 - C5 Classic Black
Reply #3 on: August 09, 2013, 07:01:30 pm
The best of the best that I have used with a lot of success and "almost" no elbow grease is "Simichrome" a German product available on Amazon..it's a little pricey but does a spectacular job..I use it maybe once every 2 months ...see picture attached.
Cheers
« Last Edit: August 09, 2013, 07:07:14 pm by Bulletman »
"A Blast from my Past"
Black C5 2011

Bulletman

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2011 - C5 Classic Black
Reply #4 on: August 09, 2013, 07:54:14 pm
jammydodger follows a link that covers more than the basics.
http://www.enfieldmotorcycles.com/forum/index.php/topic,15931.0.html
"A Blast from my Past"
Black C5 2011

TWinOKC

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: August 09, 2013, 11:13:22 pm
There are a lot of good products on the market, I have used this stuff for a long time. 
Not real expensive and very easy to use.

http://www.nevrdull.com/What.htm
2010  C5  Teal
2011 Triumph Bonneville T100
2015 Scrambler Ducati