Author Topic: Lurker requesting R.E. Info  (Read 5768 times)

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #15 on: August 08, 2013, 02:37:04 am
Actually the old Guzzis were pretty solid, too, from everything I ever heard about them. They, like anything else, had a moment or two on some specific model. But I have seen exceptional mileages on the things. Generally are actually considered more reliable than Beemers. I know that overall they have a lot better luck with the rear drive than beemers. I looked at them in the early '80s but kinda passed because then they still had points ignitions. Pretty much everything else by then had gone to ECUs. I was tired of doing constant tuneups.But I have a couple of friends that have been riding the same ones since the 80s and still loving them. They have a very loyal group there.
They do have enough character and panache to keep one interested. Not quite the level of the Enfields, but similar. My Goose gets almost as much attention as the Bullet did! Just today a guy at a hobby shop queried me about it.
Bare

2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #16 on: August 08, 2013, 03:15:38 am
02twin,
From what you just said I think it would be a great fit, so long as its comfortable for you. 

Bare,
I've heard them called the Italian Harley, meaning dead simple mechanicals and loyal following.  I like the new Triumphs and the new Guzzis, they're both on the short list for my next bike.  But the Guzzi is leading ;)  I like the Bonnie for what it is, but it seems the Guzzi has more character.  I'm really surprised to hear the Italians did a better job that the Germans in the shaft drive.

Scott
« Last Edit: August 08, 2013, 03:27:16 am by Ducati Scotty »

02twincam88b

• Scooter
Reply #17 on: August 08, 2013, 03:22:31 am
I just gotta find a place to go and see them . RE never comes to the motorcycle show in Baltimore. As far as I can tell, the nearest dealers are in Philadelphia and Winchester. Neither dealer has many in stock and I think their stock is all 2012s. Does anyone know of any upgrades for the 2014s?
Future RE owner
2013 Ural T
2002 FLSTFI
Many others gone, but none forgotten

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #18 on: August 08, 2013, 03:30:29 am
They continue to refine the design.  Aside from a tranny recall on the 2009 models and the C5 getting a 19" front wheel and different fork in 2013, they've been pretty much the same since they started in 2009.  All small changes along the way.

Scott

jkrobin

• Scooter
Reply #19 on: August 08, 2013, 02:21:00 pm
Scotty: did you mean 19" front wheel and different fork in 2012?  My 2012 C5 Chrome has the 19" and the updated fork.
2012 C5 Chrome (Black)
Charlottesville, Virginia

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Ride In Paradise Cabo, Don and Ernie
Reply #20 on: August 08, 2013, 03:02:20 pm
Thanks very much for the info. I am not at all concerned with going fast, or having a flashy bike. As previously stated, i have a flashy Harley and a slow Ural and U love them both for their own uniqueness and purposes. I don't really care what the other bikers think either. I just think the RE's are really cool. I commute a total of about 30 miles a day with nothing more than a lunch box, so highway speeds and cargo capacity are unimportant. If i want to go highway fast I will tahe the Fatboy and if I have stuff to carry there is no better bike than the T. I feel like the Bullet will be a real gas of a commuter bike. This forum is very helpful and it is very similar to a Ural forum. There seems to be a real feeling of friendship and sharing of knowledge. Thanks again.

Bingo !
You picked a winner. I can think of no better bike for this.

My commute is 26 miles each way and add in another 6 to 24 miles for post work errands and runs to the grocery store. Taking my Bullet instead of driving saves me between $3k and $4k a year in fuel costs. My Bullet is also my fun bike/corner carver/cow trail riding/go to town bike and is more fun in the rain than my car and trucks are in the sun.

Let me quote brother Scooter Bob.

"I prefer to think of the RE as the ANTI-NICHE market bike. It's NOT a cruiser (niche) or a sport bike (niche) or an adventure touring bike (niche) or a touring bike (niche) or some wanna-be repop nostalgia-alike retro ride (NICHE!) - the RE is just a motorcycle! A blank slate, if you will, that can appeal to many people - not just a "certain" group. Think about it ..... "
No matter where you go, there, you are.

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #21 on: August 08, 2013, 03:12:14 pm
Scotty: did you mean 19" front wheel and different fork in 2012?  My 2012 C5 Chrome has the 19" and the updated fork.

Yes, thanks for the correction ;)

Bulletman

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2011 - C5 Classic Black
Reply #22 on: August 08, 2013, 05:26:31 pm
@bare
I looked up the Guzzi V7 racer and it looked really good..if I ever go up in CC it would be to a max of 750 to 850 CC.
@Scottie
I also really liked the Triumph Thruxton...seems like both these bikes are really good in their own way...
I would essentially like to keep my Bullet C5 and get one of the bikes mentioned above.
If you have forum links could either of you post links to the proper forums for Guzzi and the Triumph?
Cheers,
Mark
"A Blast from my Past"
Black C5 2011

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #23 on: August 08, 2013, 05:42:04 pm
My creeky back can't do the Thruxton or V7, but I like the standard models.  The Triumph is very Japanese and has a bit more power by the numbers, but the V7 has Italian flair.  I really loved my Ducati but it constantly goaded me to go faste and I have no willpower.  Only a matter of time before I lose that gamble.  The V7 seems to be just as cool but wouldn't mind if I plodded along at the speed limit.  The Triumph (at least right now) has better aftermarket goodies, but the Guzzi is only a few years old.  There's more for the older ones and I'm sure there's more coming for the newer ones.

Here are some site Bare pointed me to:
http://www.wildguzzi.com/forum/
http://guzziforum.com/
http://forum.guzzitech.com/

Parts guy; http://www.harpermoto.com/

Scott

b.sheets

• Bulleteer
Reply #24 on: August 08, 2013, 06:33:54 pm
If you have forum links could either of you post links to the proper forums for Guzzi and the Triumph?
Cheers,
Mark

http://www.triumphrat.net/

great triumph forum
2012 C5 Special(SOLD)
2013 Triumph Thruxton

Bulletman

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2011 - C5 Classic Black
Reply #25 on: August 08, 2013, 07:24:49 pm
@b.sheets
@Ducati Scottie
thanks
"A Blast from my Past"
Black C5 2011

Catbird

• Grease Monkey
Reply #26 on: August 09, 2013, 01:41:17 am
Regarding size, I'm kinda big at 6' and 250lbs.  I just purchased this C5 Military 200 miles ago.  So far, I find it reasonably comfortable and according to others, it fits my body size just fine.

1972 Honda CB350 twin - sold
1976 Honda GL1000 Goldwing - sold
1996 BMW R1100RT - sold
2005 BMW R1200RT - sold
2011 Vespa GTS 300
2013 Royal Enfield C5 Military
2014 Honda CTX700N DCT
2014 Honda CB1100

Royal Stargazer

• I have no idea what I'm doing.
  • Grease Monkey
Reply #27 on: August 10, 2013, 02:44:29 am
I'm "kinda big" myself, and in the past week I've had and been riding the bike, I can come up with no complaints. The ride is nice and stable, and I know I look as awesome on the bike as I feel.
2020 Royal Enfield Continental GT, A racer for more than just cafes
2005 Volvo S60 2.5T AWD, Two doors too many
2003 Royal Enfield Bullet, two-wheeled time machine