Author Topic: Lurker requesting R.E. Info  (Read 5760 times)

02twincam88b

• Scooter
on: August 07, 2013, 01:44:03 am
I just registered for this site after lurking for a while, and decided I need a little information from those in the know. I am an experienced rider and have owned quite a few different bikes over the years, Usually multiple bikes at a time. Recently sold two 2 wheelers to purchase a new Ural T. I also have an 11 year old Harley that I bought new. I love the look of the Royal Enfields and once the Ural is paid for, I can see a Battle Green C5 in my not too distant future. I have a few questions, if you guys can help.
 I am 6'5" and go a petite 260 pounds. Will I fit? Will it haul me around at a respectable road speed? I had a 185 2 stroke enduro that was fine. It had, I think, 17 horsepower.
There are no dealers in the greater Baltimore area, so I would probably be doing an internet, sight unseen purchase. How does warranty work get handled in such a situation?
Last week I saw a guy on a two tone green and white Bullet on the intercounty connector Rt 43 in White Marsh, MD. If you are on this sight please contact me so I could get a look at your ride.

Thanks in advance for your help.
Future RE owner
2013 Ural T
2002 FLSTFI
Many others gone, but none forgotten

mplayle

• Bulleteer
Reply #1 on: August 07, 2013, 02:07:55 am
From what other folks have posted, you'll fit on an RE.  The recommendation would likely be to look at a B5 or G5 rather than the C5.  The first two sit just a tad taller.

As for "a respectable road speed", keep in mind these are not fast bikes.  They are "old school" technology in the engine design and require a proper break-in period from new.  They are also not know for being "fast" bikes - you aren't likely to get much above 80 mph without modifications.  That said, once properly broken-in the UCE bikes tend to be quite reliable and will cruise 65 pretty much all day.

They also have way more character than almost any other bike out there.

Rich Mintz

• Grand Gearhead
  • Daily rider in the city
Reply #2 on: August 07, 2013, 03:51:05 am
I'm 6'2, 250 pounds, and I've done 4,000 miles on my 2010 C5, including three round-trips between NYC and DC with large saddlebags thrown over the back. The riding position is comfortable (better than my other bike, a Honda CB250), although on the long trips I do stop every 30-45 minutes or so to stand up and stretch my legs.

The bike does fine on the highway. It can cruise at 65-70, although there's not a ton of passing pickup beyond that. It's not the fastest bike on the road, but that's not why you bought it. You'll want a windshield if you do a lot of highway.

It's a quirky bike, which means that if you run into trouble on the road, it might be hard to find a mechanic who can help you. When I was new, I had to truck the bike back from Annapolis to NYC in a U-Haul when I had a mechanical problem on the road because no shop would touch it. When I got home I figured out that the problem was simple and if I had known the bike better I could have fixed it on the side of the road in 30 seconds. (In fact, that's what I did when i got home, on the side of the street in Brooklyn, with this forum open on my laptop on the bike seat.)

So I guess what I'm saying is that it's the kind of bike that will reward getting to know it. I've learned more about vehicle mechanics in the last 6 months than I learned in the previous 40 years, but that's not a complaint -- I knew going in that I was buying a piece of history. No problems whatsoever with the engine -- the new UCE engine is a well-made piece of machinery and it starts and runs perfectly every time.

If I were buying from Baltimore, I'd probably see if I could buy from Philadelphia Scooters, so I had a relationship with them in case something goes wrong. They're an authorized dealer. (Yeah, I know, 100 miles away. What are you gonna do.) I did have a transmission problem on my bike that was covered by warranty (you can read about it elsewhere on this forum), and I had bought from a non-official dealer, and until I got referred into an official dealer by CMW (Classic Motorworks, the US RE distributor, and the host for this forum), I felt a little lost. Once I did get a referral (to a dealer about 50 miles from here, which is one of the closest), they were able to address my issue and I now have a good dealer relationship I can call on in the future. I have no complaints about CMW -- Kevin from CMW participates actively in this forum, they respond to us, and they really know their bikes well.

Short version: Do it, you'll be glad you did.
Rich Mintz - New York City
richmintz@richmintz.com
2010 Royal Enfield Bullet C5 • 2015 SYM Symba
[/URL]

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #3 on: August 07, 2013, 04:21:49 am
I'm 225# and get around just fine. If you want to cruise much over 65-70 for long stretches you might want to consider something else.  That's near the bike's limit.  Will you fit?  Probably, but sit on a few whenever you get a chance and see how it feels.  As already mentioned, the G5 and B5 are a bit bigger than the C5, but see and judge for yourself.  Welcome!

Scott

D the D

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: August 07, 2013, 04:43:43 am
Don't know who that could be up that way.  Two members have solid Green older Bullets and Super Chuck has a Blue AVL.
If you need to try for size, Philly is your closest dealer.  Make it a multipurpose fun trip and go see the Liberty Bell, Ben Franklin's grave, and USS Olympia while you're there.
'07 Iron Barrel Military (Deceased 14 September, 2013)
2014 Yamaha Bolt R Spec V-Twin
1975 XLCH

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Ride In Paradise Cabo, Don and Ernie
Reply #5 on: August 07, 2013, 04:51:30 am
Hi 02twincam88b and welcome aboard.

The other brothers pretty much nailed most of it and I wholeheartedly agree with the recommendation of the B5.

Your in familiar company here. Most of the forum brothers have or do own(ed) more than one bike or type of bike at the same time.

A couple of my riding brothers are the same size as you and their Bullets get them down the road just fine.

No matter where you go, there, you are.

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Ride In Paradise Cabo, Don and Ernie
Reply #6 on: August 07, 2013, 05:02:21 am
I'm 225# and get around just fine. If you want to cruise much over 65-70 for long stretches you might want to consider something else.  That's near the bike's limit.  Will you fit?  Probably, but sit on a few whenever you get a chance and see how it feels.  As already mentioned, the G5 and B5 are a bit bigger than the C5, but see and judge for yourself.  Welcome!

Scott

Yah...uh...a bit of an understatement. :D

I have ridden with him. Scott won't brag so I will do it for "he who rides from Portland to Seattle and from Portland to the Golden Gate Bridge". 8)

He out runs my Iron Barrel Bullet with his UCE Bullet.

« Last Edit: August 07, 2013, 05:52:29 am by Ice »
No matter where you go, there, you are.

Desi Bike

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #7 on: August 07, 2013, 05:45:04 am
Welcome to the site... As you already have a Ural, you are used to going slow. The RE is, as your T, not designed for free way flogging. It is a great bike for toodling around on, like the Ural and vibrates a lot less than the Harley Ferguson.
Take the ride to your nearest dealer.and give one a try. The weather is nice for a ride on the Tourist

5ft 8 and a few burgers shy of 225. I don't look like a circus clown on mine.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2013, 05:51:31 am by Desi Bike »
میں نہیں چاہتا کہ ایک اچار
میں صرف اپنی موٹر سائیکل پر سوار کرنا چاہتے ہیں

Craig McClure

• Riding over 50 years
  • Grand Gearhead
  • "No Future In Getting Old"
Reply #8 on: August 07, 2013, 04:47:53 pm
I'm a long time British bike rider. I bought a mint used 2010 G5 Deluxe last year, & after making a few modifications to suit me, I couldn't be happier with it. I like the gorgeous civilian paint & heavy chrome, tall 19" wheels, the bench seat riding position, & comfort. I used to own a pretty hot 1958 BSA Goldstar Clubman, The G5 with it's Electronic Ignition, fuel injection, hydraulic lifters, unit engine, Runs circles around the old Goldie. The top speed is not as high, but could be with some work. Point is, it is much more reliable than all the British singles I've owned. Electric start is now a necessity for me. You can not help but enjoy riding these bikes, Mine is a delight. PIX BELOW
Best Wishes, Craig McClure

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #9 on: August 07, 2013, 06:09:21 pm
Owning a Ural, you pretty much know the ropes. But the new Enfields let you feel like you're riding in the good old days without the hassles. The bikes are quite reliable. Once you get over the initial little gaffs, they are great. As far as freeways go, they are freeway capable, but use about 70 as the max. You may not be fast laning it, but it will go down them nicely. My longest freeway run was about 110 miles, nonstop. I did many 50+ mile runs on mine. Never a problem.
Initial gaffs; Loctite everything! Replace the spark plug with an NGK BPR6ES. So not get very froggy with the stock tires. They suck. Keep an eye on the chain, it does, too.
For breakin, just ride it. I did mine using a max of 1/2 throttle. It worked well and give decent performance without breaking anything. Expect dodgy shifting for awhile, the gearbox does break in nicely though. Also initially the idle can be a bit quirky, but it gets over that, too. They are remarkable motorcycles offering more smiles/mile than anything you've ever ridden.
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

Joel-in-dallas

• Grease Monkey
Reply #10 on: August 07, 2013, 06:53:38 pm
I love my G5. I am really having fun with it. Its not fast, its fun.

It gets tons on attention when I go out with it. This forum is so helpful because you can't just go to anywhere bikers hang out and get details about your bike.

I say go for it provided you don't want a fast and flashy motorcycle.

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #11 on: August 07, 2013, 11:09:46 pm
Most places you would go where ignorant bikers hang out will usually just tell you how terrible they are. Not withstanding the only one they've ever even seen is yours.
when I bought my Guzzi, the salesman was telling me how terrible Bullets were. I had to educate the boy!
Don't listen to the hoi polloi out there. They know NUThing! As in, I know a guy who has a friend that knows an old farmer that's had one of those things in his garage for 20 years. Never could make it run!
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #12 on: August 08, 2013, 01:01:41 am
Were the old Guzzi bad?  And by that I mean any worse than anything else at the time ;)  Did they have some eccentricities that most mechanics just didn't understand? 

I know my modern Ducati sure did.  The Desmo valves stir fear in the hearts of almost everyone.  Took about 30 minutes of poking to figure out the first one, then it was nothing special.

Scott

02twincam88b

• Scooter
Reply #13 on: August 08, 2013, 01:33:53 am
Thanks very much for the info. I am not at all concerned with going fast, or having a flashy bike. As previously stated, i have a flashy Harley and a slow Ural and U love them both for their own uniqueness and purposes. I don't really care what the other bikers think either. I just think the RE's are really cool. I commute a total of about 30 miles a day with nothing more than a lunch box, so highway speeds and cargo capacity are unimportant. If i want to go highway fast I will tahe the Fatboy and if I have stuff to carry there is no better bike than the T. I feel like the Bullet will be a real gas of a commuter bike. This forum is very helpful and it is very similar to a Ural forum. There seems to be a real feeling of friendship and sharing of knowledge. Thanks again.
Future RE owner
2013 Ural T
2002 FLSTFI
Many others gone, but none forgotten

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #14 on: August 08, 2013, 02:34:53 am
For commuting the RE will beat both the Harley and the Ural.
RE 500's usually get 70-75 mpg. :)
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary