Author Topic: fuel tap woes, I think  (Read 2535 times)

ericrox

• Bulleteer
  • And I thought this would be easier.
on: August 06, 2013, 10:38:42 pm
This is a new problem. Had tons of air bubbles coming out of my 30m pwk ripoff from CMW a few. installed 2 years ago. Bike was running bad and popping. Typical symptoms. I cut the line and it showed as it was a constricted bad artery. Think maybe the line was rated for water and not fuel. It was like a pin's width of fuel flow.

I replaced the line last week and she seemed to get better. Alas I believe the tank was really full. As I burn through gas, she runs crappier. Just filled her and it's better. I believe it may be the tap. Is there a fast flow tap that they make for these tanks? Any suggestions?
2007 classic iron
gold star, Ace Can, Breather Mod, No PAV

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: August 06, 2013, 10:43:48 pm
Most of these have a filter on top. Take the tap out and see what's clogged on it. You may need to clean your tank!
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

ericrox

• Bulleteer
  • And I thought this would be easier.
Reply #2 on: August 06, 2013, 10:47:16 pm
How do I go about that? On old lambrettas and vespa we use muriatic acid because they are so far gone it's your only choice sometimes.
2007 classic iron
gold star, Ace Can, Breather Mod, No PAV

ROVERMAN

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: August 07, 2013, 04:07:23 pm
Just a thought but could it be possible the cap vent is plugged/restricted. I would think this to be more severe the less fuel is in the tank no?
Robert & REnfield.

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Ride In Paradise Cabo, Don and Ernie
Reply #4 on: August 07, 2013, 06:33:44 pm
 Evaporust is getting rave reviews everywhere I turn. Local hot rodders and jeepers are swearing by it.

Since yours is an '07 Iron Barrel I assume it will have the same tap as my '06 which was supplied to R.E. by Karcoma of Germany. If it is, the name will be cast on the lever and it will look like this.

The sediment bowls threads are very fine and the bowls can be quite tight so use due caution when unscrewing to avoid damage.

The fuel taps in the tank stand pipe is a softer plastic affair with a filtering screen of its own. It is a friction press fit into the taps main body. Attempts at unscrewing only results in ruining them. ( do not ask me how I know this )

In the event a rebuild kits is ever needed they are available on the secondary market from various suppliers of BMW air head restoration parts
« Last Edit: August 07, 2013, 07:56:26 pm by Ice »
No matter where you go, there, you are.

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: August 08, 2013, 02:14:02 am
Evaporust is getting rave reviews everywhere I turn. Local hot rodders and jeepers are swearing by it.

I used Evaporust in my tank that had been sitting for over 20 years.  It didn't get it spotless but it looked damn good!  Had to soak it for a couple days tho.

Scottie
2001 Harley Davidson Road King

D the D

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #6 on: August 08, 2013, 04:38:08 am
I've used Evaporust on parts but not in a tank.  Going to try it on a Sportster tank that's been sitting since the '70s and see how well it works.  Got to be better than messing with the harsh acids.  Thanks guys.
'07 Iron Barrel Military (Deceased 14 September, 2013)
2014 Yamaha Bolt R Spec V-Twin
1975 XLCH

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Ride In Paradise Cabo, Don and Ernie
Reply #7 on: August 08, 2013, 09:23:35 am
I used Evaporust in my tank that had been sitting for over 20 years.  It didn't get it spotless but it looked damn good!  Had to soak it for a couple days tho.

Scottie

Thanks for the feedback
I have a tank that's pretty scaly inside.

I will use the old "throw a hand full of drywall screws in the tank and have the kids take turns shaking the heck out of it" trick before the Evaporust goes in.
No matter where you go, there, you are.

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #8 on: August 08, 2013, 01:15:26 pm
I've used Evaporust on parts but not in a tank.  Going to try it on a Sportster tank that's been sitting since the '70s and see how well it works.  Got to be better than messing with the harsh acids.  Thanks guys.

That was the other nice thing about Evaporust.  It will remove the wax from the paint but did not damage the surface of the paint itself.  I was actually going to buy a bucket of peat gravel to throw in the tank if the Evaporust didn't work.  Looking back, if I HAD done that, I would have probably gotten ALL the crap out.

Scottie
2001 Harley Davidson Road King