Author Topic: New models  (Read 2206 times)

mustangdave

• Grease Monkey
  • ACES UP
on: August 05, 2013, 01:04:47 pm
This is for Kevin...
I am curious, will Royal Enfield,USA be importing any other models in the near future? I was over on the main RE site...saw the THUNDERBIRD 500 & 350 and what about the Cafe Racer (not the kit).

I own a 2005 Classic Bullet ES...enjoy the heck out of it, and would like to get my wife on a bike as well.  Any possibility of new models showing up on US soil ;)
I rode Japanese bikes as a kid...then I grew up and got some British Thunder

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #1 on: August 05, 2013, 06:35:37 pm
Not likely.  Most of the US market already regards a 500cc air cooled bike as too small, not likely Enfield is going to import the 350.  Also, the bike is not made for export and I don't know if it meets the emissions and other requirements for US and Europe.  Even if it did, CMW would have to pay to get it certified as acceptable to the US.  That's a long and expensive process.

The same applies to the other 500cc models, though if they have the same engine and exhaust the certification should be quicker and less expensive.  I believe it has a different exhaust so I'm not sure what would be needed for certification.  That said, I don't think there's much demand for the cruiser-ish looking Thunderbird.  It would be competing with the smaller Japanese cruisers.  Those bikes are already in a limited market.

Scott

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #2 on: August 05, 2013, 08:10:02 pm
The Cafe Race is due now. I could still be a couple of months or so down the road, but it's coming. I was waiting for one, but it's past its original delivery date so I bought a Guzzi Caf Racer. Tired of not riding!
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

Bulletman

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2011 - C5 Classic Black
Reply #3 on: August 05, 2013, 09:03:20 pm
I was waiting for one, but it's past its original delivery date so I bought a Guzzi Caf Racer. Tired of not riding!
Bare
Hey Bare, how are you liking the V7 Racer, is it easy as the enfield for basic stuff to work on..how is the bike and performance in general?
"A Blast from my Past"
Black C5 2011

mustangdave

• Grease Monkey
  • ACES UP
Reply #4 on: August 06, 2013, 01:28:24 am
Bare...same questions as Bulletman...saw the Guzzi at a local shop...and it got me thinking...but the 10K asking price...I don't know.
I rode Japanese bikes as a kid...then I grew up and got some British Thunder

wildbill

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: August 06, 2013, 01:57:52 am
in that case -lucky your not here in OZ or you'd thinking a lot more. it would set you back a cool $17K :o

Craig McClure

• Riding over 50 years
  • Grand Gearhead
  • "No Future In Getting Old"
Reply #6 on: August 07, 2013, 11:13:53 pm
I owned a GUZZI 750 Ambassador back in the day, it was OK. there were many non running Guzzi's available then, that had FLAKING CHROME BORES. A chrome cylinder wall is a good idea if it's not ITALIAN CRUMMY CHROME. the fix was to have it sleeved with un-chromed VW cylinder sleeves. HOW ARE GUZZI's TODAY?
Best Wishes, Craig McClure

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #7 on: August 07, 2013, 11:44:35 pm
Since I really have never messed with Guzzis much, they are pretty new to me, but the forums seem to indicate they are pretty trouble free. I've got over 3200 miles on mine new and other than a spark plug connector breaking, it's been trouble free.
the only thing mechanical I've had to do is adjust the valves, but with them hanging out in the breeze, it's not much of a challenge. Just old rockers with screw adjusters. gotta change a lot more places, engine, gearbox and rear end!
As for prices, they make a couple of cheaper models than the racer. They start at $8300. See the blurb in the latest Cycle World
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

REpozer

• Grand Gearhead
  • Royal Enfield , Let the good times roll.
Reply #8 on: August 08, 2013, 02:33:03 am
New models?....Hu ha,hu, hu hee.
We don't need no stinking new models.
2008 ( AVL) Classic Bullet in British Racing Green
REA member # 84  (inactive)