Author Topic: Long trip problems: airbox, no first gear, etc.  (Read 6112 times)

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #30 on: June 12, 2013, 03:41:43 pm
There is nothing in the primary side that would effect shifting. The shaft just passes through there. The timing side cover is the one you need to get into.
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

Kevin Mahoney

• Gotten my hands dirty on bikes more than once -
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Cozy Sidecar distributor/former Royal Enfield dist
Reply #31 on: June 12, 2013, 03:43:03 pm
He is right. Put the bike up on the center stand so you can move the wheel and take a look while you shift.
Best Regards,
Kevin Mahoney
www.cyclesidecar.com

Rich Mintz

• Grand Gearhead
  • Daily rider in the city
Reply #32 on: June 12, 2013, 03:46:42 pm
Thanks guys, will let you know what I find
Rich Mintz - New York City
richmintz@richmintz.com
2010 Royal Enfield Bullet C5 • 2015 SYM Symba
[/URL]

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #33 on: June 12, 2013, 03:59:33 pm
 Rich, there is a dealer out in Lebanon NJ.... 'bout an hour west of the City by round valley. Rt 78 to Rt 22. Rolling fast cycles, i believe they are called? I have No opinion on them though, as I do my own work.  But I did buy an old cb 750 from them a few years back, and they seemed honest and straightforward. 
An thaibhsí atá rattling ag an doras agus tá sé an diabhal sa chathaoir.

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #34 on: June 13, 2013, 01:55:02 am
The left hand case doesn't have anything in it that would effect the shifting.  Only the shift lever shaft running thru it.

I suggest you use Singhg5's method of drawing a picture of the right side cover on a piece of cardboard with a hole for each screw.  Then, when you remove the screw poke it into the corresponding hole.
These screws are different lengths and it's easy to get them mixed up.
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #35 on: June 13, 2013, 12:35:17 pm
I suggest you use Singhg5's method of drawing a picture of the right side cover on a piece of cardboard with a hole for each screw.  Then, when you remove the screw poke it into the corresponding hole.
These screws are different lengths and it's easy to get them mixed up.

+1.

Rich, I recently did this to change my drive sprocket.

When I pulled the cover, everything was in order and obvious, except a black plastic spacer dropped to the floor.  It was the "gear lever shaft spacer" which affects the gear shaft's sideways play that was mentioned here earlier.  Mine seemed to have mildly deformed to fit the space it filled, but it looked intact enough to me, and I had just a hair over 1mm shaft play, that I just re-used it.

Have a care and you probably could re-use the gasket.  I had the job planned in advance so I had a spare on hand.  Where the wires for the "magneto assembly" (parts catalog wording) passed through the seam between engine and cover, there was some silicone sealant which cause the gasket to try to adhere to the cover rather than the engine side (IIRC), so watch for that if you're going for gasket re-use...

jkrobin

• Scooter
Reply #36 on: August 07, 2013, 03:19:46 pm
Rich,

Not sure if you have sorted out your dealership/shop search, but I can highly recommend Cycle City up in Sloatsburg, NY. The GM (Andy Abbene) really takes care of folks.
2012 C5 Chrome (Black)
Charlottesville, Virginia