Author Topic: Strange running fault that is because of  (Read 3582 times)

LotusSevenMan

• Grand Gearhead
  • ...._[:]@==<
on: June 15, 2008, 12:02:47 am
I know not what !!!!!  ???

Started with the last few days the Bullet has not been kick starting as well as usual. Normally a sign of points issue with my bike so I thought I'd fit a new set of points and a new condenser. Did so and timed it all in. Bike starts ok ish but runs, then has a little 'cough' and sometimes will pull through or sometimes will stop. This is with the bike on the centre stand. Dirt in carb? Pulled all that apart and blew out jets etc. Back together with new front carb-to-head rubber pipe too in case that was leaking. No difference. Spark plug? Fitted a new one. No difference.
Checked at the coil. Found the thing was wired with the postive ignition wire (red with white tracer) to the negative post and the red with the black tracer to the postive coil terminal. Umm. Not sure what effect that has as it has been like that from the factory for the last 1,000 miles, but switched it over as per UK wiring diagram anyway. No difference.

It's getting annoying now. Any ideas???
« Last Edit: June 15, 2008, 06:54:12 am by LotusSevenMan »
If it ain't broke-------------------------- fix it 'till it is!

Royal Enfield Miltary 500cc  (2003)
Honda VTR FireStorm (SuperHawk) 996cc 'V' twin
Kawasaki KR1 250cc twin 'stroker
Ducati 916 'L' twin

baird4444

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2003 ES 500... 38,416 miles, I'm done
Reply #1 on: June 15, 2008, 02:20:14 pm
how is your battery??   fully charged??   is it holding a charge??
I just fixed all like you did only to find my battery was SHOT!!
                         -  Mike
'My dear you are ugly,
 but tomorrow I shall be sober and you will still be ugly'
 - Winston Churchill

Kevin Mahoney

• Gotten my hands dirty on bikes more than once -
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Cozy Sidecar distributor/former Royal Enfield dist
Reply #2 on: June 15, 2008, 04:23:19 pm
I agree with Baird. It will be something simple and the battery is ALWAYS suspect in my book
Best Regards,
Kevin Mahoney
www.cyclesidecar.com

LotusSevenMan

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: June 15, 2008, 10:01:09 pm
Thanks you two.

Battery fine as I have it on a trickle charger when not in use. Well here's the next (and last?) instalment. I left it still 'funny' at ten pm last night (after a neighbour asked If I could stop. I guess we don't all like 'thumpers' LOL).
Anyway, had a charity event to go to today with one of my stationary engines. Upon return home I went to have another go at the RE. Strange, but it was perfect. Nothing wrong at all. Started second kick as if nothing was ever wrong!!!!!!
Weird, very weird.
I wondered though as it was a very sunny day yesterday could the tank have vapour locked or something if the air hole in the tank vent was slightly blocked? I don't know, but all is OK now so ???????

Ducati 916 'L' twin

Foggy_Auggie

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: June 16, 2008, 02:32:37 am
Sometimes it's good to open the gas tank filler cap and add some gas before serious trouble shooting.  Not saying you were low on gas - but it does scavenge the tank.
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe.

Fortiter Et Fideliter

baird4444

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2003 ES 500... 38,416 miles, I'm done
Reply #5 on: June 16, 2008, 02:47:41 am
Might also check main ground, could be a little dodgy...
Scrape paint for metal to metal contact.
        - Mike
'My dear you are ugly,
 but tomorrow I shall be sober and you will still be ugly'
 - Winston Churchill

oldsalt

• Bulleteer
Reply #6 on: June 16, 2008, 06:25:46 am
Thanks you two.

Battery fine as I have it on a trickle charger when not in use. Well here's the next (and last?) instalment. I left it still 'funny' at ten pm last night (after a neighbour asked If I could stop. I guess we don't all like 'thumpers' LOL).
Anyway, had a charity event to go to today with one of my stationary engines. Upon return home I went to have another go at the RE. Strange, but it was perfect. Nothing wrong at all. Started second kick as if nothing was ever wrong!!!!!!
Weird, very weird.
I wondered though as it was a very sunny day yesterday could the tank have vapour locked or something if the air hole in the tank vent was slightly blocked? I don't know, but all is OK now so ???????

You said "...my stationary engines."......   like hit and miss engines and etc.?  You collect them?  I have a dozen or so.

Back to business.  In the dim past I heard that running the coil in the reverse polarity mode, as was done with your machine, will have an effect on the points; 'Spose to make them smokey.  No real experence on the matter but I have always sorta believed it [with a grain of salt].  Maybe that has something to do with the period of weirdness.   

-2006 Sixty-5
-1941 Knuckle
-Lotza Mini Bikes
-67 Triumph 500
-46 Hiawatha
-67 Triumph 650

cyrusb

• Kept man
  • Grand Gearhead
  • There's a last time for everything
Reply #7 on: June 16, 2008, 05:43:19 pm
Sounds like its lean . The same thing happened to me at about 1000 miles, the little cough was my tip-off. I just turned in the mixture screw(going richer) for best idle. No problems since.
2005E Fixed and or Replaced: ignition, fenders,chainguard,wires,carb,headlight,seat,tailight,sprockets,chain,shock springs,fork springs, exhaust system, horn,shifter,clutch arm, trafficators,crankcase vent.

LotusSevenMan

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #8 on: June 16, 2008, 11:51:19 pm
Oldsalt
Yeah, Ruston Hornsby's; a 5 IP from 1923 and an 8PB from 1934, Amanco 2.25hp O/C from 1914 (Associated), Lister from 1936, Petter M from 1942, Bernard from 1920 etc etc
Cyrusb,
I think maybe lean due to dirt ingress blocking a jet.
F_A
Tank pretty full so hence the vapour lock................ maybe?
Baird4444
Earth point all good from battery to frame so think that's OK

Hopefully the 'problem' is gone for good  :)

Excuse the stationary engine, but this one was supplied to Harrods lighting dept in '23

5 horsepower, Industrial Paraffin (kerosene I think you call it Stateside)

Ducati 916 'L' twin