Author Topic: oil filter removal  (Read 8083 times)

D the D

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #15 on: August 05, 2013, 05:49:31 am
Do you use a Whitworth or Metric Screwdriver?  I have Metric and SAE tools, but would have to order a Whitworth one.
'07 Iron Barrel Military (Deceased 14 September, 2013)
2014 Yamaha Bolt R Spec V-Twin
1975 XLCH

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
  • Everybody's havin' them dreams
Reply #16 on: August 05, 2013, 01:29:53 pm
Do you use a Whitworth or Metric Screwdriver?  I have Metric and SAE tools, but would have to order a Whitworth one.

Oh, definitely a Metric screwdriver is preferable otherwise you could bung up the edges of the header pipe calibrator  :) ;)

Also, I've got an exploded view of all the 87 parts & O-Rings of the ingeniously over-designed AVL oil filter mechanism somewhere. Does anyone need it badly enough for me to go look for it & post it?

Pozer, that's exactly how I did mine the first time. You only have to gain about an 1/8" & that cover slips right off.
RI USA '08 Black AVL Classic.9.8:1 ACEhead/manifold/canister. TM32/Open bottle/hot tube removed. Pertronix Coil. Fed mandates removed. Gr.TCI. Bobber seat. Battery in right side case. Decomp&all doodads removed. '30s Lucas taillight/7" visored headlight. Much blackout & wire/electrical upgrades.

boggy

• Grand Gearhead
  • Karma Ultra: 7
Reply #17 on: August 05, 2013, 06:53:11 pm
The oil filter seems to be stuck in the cyliner. 

Buckeroo... It's the oil "filter" itself that is stuck and not the cap, correct?  My filter was stuck in to when I did my first change.

I just punched a screwdriver into mine and pulled it out if I remember correctly. I think I had to just warp the metal of the cylinder enough before it budged.  I didn't hit any parts of the engine case - Just the oil filter itself. Graceful? No, but it came out and I installed a fresh one that was extracted normally when it was time for that change.  Maybe I used some curved-tip needle nose pliers. 
2007 AVL
2006 DRZ400SM

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #18 on: August 06, 2013, 04:19:04 pm
Wow!  That's one fat front tire.  8)
I like it though the bars would probably kill my shoulders.  Luckily at 56, I'm one of the younger, less arthritic members and don't have to fight what some of you guys do.

I promise this is my last on this non-harley forum  :)

The front & rear are the same size: Goodyear MT90-16. The only difference is the rear is a Dual-Stripe.

The bars are deceiving. They were actually only a few inches above my shoulders & quite comfortable. I've only had high bars until the Enfield. Only this year have I put a pair of '60s FLH bars on the harley just to play with the look. They totally changed my leverage, hurt More to begin with (I have to lean forward a little more) & were very scary the first few rides. 

The front fender was only for a sticker the first year then it was gone. It was from an FX WideGlide. The pipes are also totally different now; 6" shorter & black-wrapped. I also went to a hand clutch foot shift. The traffic here is murderous & unless you can hit neutral instantly at all the right times you are dead! EVERYbody in a car seems to be out to kill ME. Or you. All of us.

Thanks to all for your patience with an old dinosaur harley guy still alive at seventy five.
RI USA '08 Black AVL Classic.9.8:1 ACEhead/manifold/canister. TM32/Open bottle/hot tube removed. Pertronix Coil. Fed mandates removed. Gr.TCI. Bobber seat. Battery in right side case. Decomp&all doodads removed. '30s Lucas taillight/7" visored headlight. Much blackout & wire/electrical upgrades.

boggy

• Grand Gearhead
  • Karma Ultra: 7
Reply #19 on: August 06, 2013, 10:30:25 pm
            EVERYbody in a car seems to be out to kill ME. Or you. All of us.

All the guys I work with from RI say RI drivers are worse than Boston drivers, which I find hard to believe.  In either state, everyday on 2 wheels is an adventure.  I see people on the phone, putting on make up, and even READING every morning.  Nucking futs.
2007 AVL
2006 DRZ400SM

Buckeroo

• Bulleteer
Reply #20 on: August 07, 2013, 05:25:47 am
I'm looking for answers, not smart ass remarks.   I was not crazy about prying on an aluminum case with a screw driver to pry out a pipe.  I'm going to end up driving a course screw into the filter and pulling it out.  This whole website is dedicated to fixing this bike, even after you get it home from the dealer.  I read somewhere here that if you get home from the dealer, replace the electrical system.  This is not a joke.  At 25 miles on the clock, all the electrical connections were loose in some way.  I had to pull the whole mess apart and rework all the plugs.  This is not something one expects from a new bike.  I think I have the right to rant a little.  I understand that this bike has a loyal following, but for that, I am really surprised that just a few people have taken steps to improve the machine with aftermarket parts.  Hell, the gas tank tang snapped off from a bad weld.  This bike is a learning experience from the word go.  One doesn't expect things to go wrong in the first 5000 miles.
Are you done ranting?
This bike was stored for 3.5 years.  It had fallen on its side for awhile. I claimed it about a year and a half ago. Thus the low miles and inexperienced owner.
2008 Bullet Electra Classic 500
Classic Frame and AVL motor
Electric Start
Electronic Ignition
5 speed
CV Carb

REpozer

• Grand Gearhead
  • Royal Enfield , Let the good times roll.
Reply #21 on: August 07, 2013, 05:53:25 am
I'm glad I was able to help you with the oil filter.
Remember to start changing your oil every 1000-1500 miles instead of at 5000.

2008 ( AVL) Classic Bullet in British Racing Green
REA member # 84  (inactive)

Laurence

• Scooter
Reply #22 on: September 22, 2013, 08:22:57 pm
O.K a month ago I had some time to change my oil and filter. Got it all apart, then a combination of family & work kept me from getting back to finish the job. Now I can't remember the  order in which these parts go in. Any one have a diagram? (here's a pic attached of what I've got to put back in.)
"I don't want a pickle - I just wanna ride my motor sickle" - A. Guthrie

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #23 on: September 22, 2013, 09:27:36 pm
O.K a month ago I had some time to change my oil and filter. Got it all apart, then a combination of family & work kept me from getting back to finish the job. Now I can't remember the  order in which these parts go in. Any one have a diagram? (here's a pic attached of what I've got to put back in.)

Looks like you're missing two large O-Rings. There are three in there.

Yes. I have an exploded view. Just give me time to find it, get it scanned & then posted.

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #24 on: September 22, 2013, 09:59:24 pm

Here ya' go. Good luck.

Laurence

• Scooter
Reply #25 on: September 23, 2013, 03:31:13 am
thanks so much for the diagram. that should do it. And I'll save the jpeg diagram for next time.
"I don't want a pickle - I just wanna ride my motor sickle" - A. Guthrie

Buckeroo

• Bulleteer
Reply #26 on: September 26, 2013, 10:45:01 pm
When I finally was able to dig the secondary metal plate out of the oil filter hole, there was one large O ring behind the plate and a small O ring in front of it.  RE says they ship extra parts to fit all applications.
This bike was stored for 3.5 years.  It had fallen on its side for awhile. I claimed it about a year and a half ago. Thus the low miles and inexperienced owner.
2008 Bullet Electra Classic 500
Classic Frame and AVL motor
Electric Start
Electronic Ignition
5 speed
CV Carb